PDA

View Full Version : How you are hauling away the leaves?

FF1809
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
I was wondering how most of you actualy haul away the leaves after doing a clean-up. Im not looking for the using a truck loader method as I dont have the funds for one right now. I was thinking about building a "box" for my trailer, any other thoughts? Thanks yall. Robbie

joshua
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
i take the bags and dump then in the bed of my dump truck, very simple and straight forward. no if there are alot of leaves i dump them on the curb until dark and come back with my other dump with the loader and suck them up. ya i know 2 trucks for 1 jub but i actually fill both trucks everyday.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Truck Bed........

bowhunter74
10-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Cover the discharge on the mower and grind them up for the most part.

Lbilawncare
10-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Not to dampen your spirits, but a box on your trailer is very labor intensive. If you have a bagger that chops the leaves up, that helps w/ space, but the leaves will be very hard to remove from the trailer, especially if they get rained on. Trust me, I know. I started out with a dump bed on the truck and a leafloader, filled up way too fast. The next leaf box was on a 14ft trailer, it held a lot of leaves but took forever to unload. I now use a grain truck w/ mesh top and a 27hp vac. It still requires me to unload the bottom layer sometimes, but it is the most efficient method I can employ.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-08-2008, 01:17 AM
I have a 4'x4'x7' box on the front of my trailer with a Load-Handler built in. Clean and easy. I've been adding my clippings for about 5 weeks now without having to unload yet. Today's leaves filled it up a bit, though...

02DURAMAX
10-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Truck Bed!

Marcos
10-08-2008, 02:05 AM
I was wondering how most of you actualy haul away the leaves after doing a clean-up. Im not looking for the using a truck loader method as I dont have the funds for one right now. I was thinking about building a "box" for my trailer, any other thoughts? Thanks yall. Robbie

Who the heck wants to haul leaves around..... in THIS day and age? :confused:

Mulch! Mulch! Mulch!

Ultimately, it feeds the turf, and saves you a boat load of time & labor!

Your customer doesn't "like" or "want" their leaves shredded by gator blades on-site......or to have their grass discharged onto the turf?
Well, you'd better tell them to start getting used to it!

Write these words down:
The day is coming in this country....in the not-too-distant future, when lawn waste disposal like this will simply NOT happen... 'cheaply'... anymore, to anyone, residential OR contractor!

sven1277
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
You can only mulch so many leaves into the lawn before it starts looking unclean. I run mainly mulching mowers for cutting and they're great for this time of year shredding the first falling leaves. If you have several inches or more of leaves on the ground, mulching them up would just smoother the lawn. We actually mulch the leaves first and then suck them up with the bagging mower. This system works great for us. Haul the leaves (and grass) back to my property where I compost them.

mattfromNY
10-08-2008, 08:54 PM
If you absolutely have to hand- unload the leaf box, use the layer method that roofers use for shingles. Lay a heavy tarp in the bottom of the box, fill a foot or so deep with leaves, lay down another tarp on top of that first layer, then create another layer.
When you unload, simply pull the top tarp off first bringing that layer of leaves out, then work your way to the bottom.
Much more intensive than just dumping a load with a dump truck or trailer, but much easier than trying to pull one tarp with 5' of compacted leaves, or worse yet shovel them out.

Green Team Landscaping
10-08-2008, 09:36 PM
The trailer should be the cheapest option. We just throw a tarp on top, but then again you guys probably are talking about more leaves than I deal with.

Roger
10-08-2008, 10:21 PM
mattfromny - I use a trailer to haul bulk leaves. I've heard of this layering idea before, but connot see how it would work. The leaves are so bulky and need to be tromped down in the trailer. Putting down a layer, then a tarp, then more leaves, tarp, etc, would make it impossible to tromp them into the trailer.

I have a 5X10 trailer, and I can fill it with a few tarp-fulls, say 5 or 6. They are all loose. But, when packed in more firmly, I know I can get about 25 tarp-fulls into the trailer.

The layering idea would work if the material was dense and packed well, such as bark mulch. But, the bulky leaves would make it impossible to pack the leaves. In order to pack, one needs some depth. A one foot high layer of leaves would never pack. If one laid a tarp over the 12" depth of leaves, then tried to pack, the tarp would be all out of position very quickly.

I load from the rear, leaving the end gate out. I dump a few tarp fulls in the front, then pack, more tarps, then pack again, working my way toward the back. Leaves that are a bit damp will certainly pack better -- trade off between handling damp/wet leaves that are heavier that pack better, and dry leaves that are light, but don't pack well.

When I get to the dump, I use a 4-tined pitchfork and a refuse hook to unload. When the endgate is take out, the hook will pull out the rear third of the load. Usually, the rest are forked over the side with the pitchfork. It really doesn't take very long to unload four cu yds of leaves - less time that unloading three cu yds of grass clippings. Unloading is certainly quicker and easier than loading.

Believe me, I'm always looking for better, more efficient ways, ways that don't take as much effort. Handling leaves is hard work. I work solo, and just don't have the volume of work over the six week season to justify another trailer and loader. There is not enough revenue in the leaf work to make a significant investment.

MJS
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I use a big plywood box on my trailer - yes, as some other guys have already said, it is labor intensive to empty, but it works a whole lot better than the back of a truck or worse -gasp- leaf bags.

A vacuum would be nice. . .

Sweet Tater
10-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I had this made in the sping to help with leaves. It serves all my needs so far
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=217235

Dunlaps LawnCare
10-09-2008, 01:54 AM
truck bed but most of the time i just take them to the curb for the city to pick up

HOLE-N-ONE
10-09-2008, 02:57 AM
I dump my leaves at my shop. I stand a wooden pallet up in the front of the trailer, hook a chain to the pallet and run the remainder of the chain to the back of the trailer before any leaves are placed in the trailer. When I get to where I dump I have a post anchored in the ground with another chain attached to it. I hook both chains together and then drive the truck, the leaves come right out. Then I setup the pallet and chain again and go off to retrive more leaves. You can dump several loads by backing in at different angles to the post or you can pull the leaves out with a tractor or other vechicle. Many times municiple dumps have dozers that you can hook on to and the dozer pulls them out.

John C

topsites
10-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm not really sure what to say, in my neck of the woods a tree here and there has a few yellow leaves,
they just started turning and it won't be another 3-4 weeks before this becomes an issue.

You can only mulch so many leaves into the lawn before it starts looking unclean. I run mainly mulching mowers for cutting and they're great for this time of year shredding the first falling leaves. If you have several inches or more of leaves on the ground, mulching them up would just smoother the lawn. We actually mulch the leaves first and then suck them up with the bagging mower. This system works great for us. Haul the leaves (and grass) back to my property where I compost them.

I agree, mulching deep heavy leaves only makes a worse mess, you can mulch that crap until the cows come home and it still ain't right.

They only grind up to a point, and if there are a lot of leaves it reduces the pile but it's still one big, bad mess.
The problem is then compounded, that mulched up pile of crap is a real pita to clean up, it doesn't rake or blow
right no matter what you do, and if you do get it onto the tarp it's heavy.
So, don't get caught up in that mulching thing for a heavy leaf job. :p

Now...
I'm afraid no matter how I've looked at leaves in the past 6-7 years there's no easy solution,
it unfortunately boils down to some hard, dirty work.

BladeRunner1967
10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
If you absolutely have to hand- unload the leaf box, use the layer method that roofers use for shingles. Lay a heavy tarp in the bottom of the box, fill a foot or so deep with leaves, lay down another tarp on top of that first layer, then create another layer.
When you unload, simply pull the top tarp off first bringing that layer of leaves out, then work your way to the bottom.
Much more intensive than just dumping a load with a dump truck or trailer, but much easier than trying to pull one tarp with 5' of compacted leaves, or worse yet shovel them out.

This is what I do. Works great.

CTmower
10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
For those of you who use the bed of your truck. what did you use to build the side walls on the bed??? I was thinking about ripping some pressure treated 2x4's to fit in the holes in the bed then using 2x10's for the side walls.. any advice would be appreciated.

American_Lawn
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
One option could be to use something like a tire or bulk item with a chain wrapped around it so when you get to the dump, just pull. If anything, this will be an easier way for cleaning out the bottom. 4X4 with one bolt on each end, few inches shorter than overall width of trailer/truck, and a rope/chain connected to bolts. When I roofed with my grandfather, we used this method with the tire and just hooked the chain to the big tractors at the dump an it literally took longer to park than to dump the trailer. If the leaves are not packed in, this wont work, but of you compress them it should help. This is better than eating the cost of a dump trailer when starting out.

carcrz
10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I mulch them w/ the mower first. Then go over them & dump them in the truck bed. Put a tarp in the bed first to make removal easier. You can grab the tarp & drag the whole pile out @ once if there isn't much grass mixed in.

topsites
10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh, I get it...

mattfromny - I use a trailer to haul bulk leaves. I've heard of this layering idea before, but connot see how it would work. The leaves are so bulky and need to be tromped down in the trailer. Putting down a layer, then a tarp, then more leaves, tarp, etc, would make it impossible to tromp them into the trailer.

That's the same problem I've always had, I never could envision layering them
either, not if I'm to get a good, full load.
Sure I can get them in there loosely but that just wastes trip after trip to the
landfill, it costs enough money the regular way there's no way any customer's
going to pay no thousand plus dollars!

And that method is the exact method I use, other than my trailer's a 6x12 with 2 foot sides:
Load it up, tromp them down, load some more, repeat until you can't GET another tarp load in there.
I can usually get 12-14 BIG tarps in there, 8x10 stuff, took me a few years to work my way up to the bigger tarp
but it sure saves a few trips back-forth to the trailer.

The only other difference is unloading...
Sometimes I get lucky and the guy at the landfill helps me drag them out
with the big bucket loader :p

But most of the time I use my backpack blower for that, sure it takes just as long but it's not near as hard on me...
Matter of fact, it's even faster if I put my handheld blower in the other hand.

Here's how I unload leaves off my trailer with the backpack, after the tarps covering the pile comes off,
keep in mind these are pretty densely packed:

1. Blow from either side and send the top part of the pile over the other side.
> Do this until it doesn't do much anymore.
2. Then, lower the gate and starting in the back of the trailer blow them out
that way.

And it does take time (and burns you know what) but wow it's so easy.

jason9696
10-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I like your method, I'm going to give that a try this year....
Oh, I get it...

That's the same problem I've always had, I never could envision layering them
either, not if I'm to get a good, full load.
Sure I can get them in there loosely but that just wastes trip after trip to the
landfill, it costs enough money the regular way there's no way any customer's
going to pay no thousand plus dollars!

And that method is the exact method I use, other than my trailer's a 6x12 with 2 foot sides:
Load it up, tromp them down, load some more, repeat until you can't GET another tarp load in there.
I can usually get 12-14 BIG tarps in there, 8x10 stuff, took me a few years to work my way up to the bigger tarp
but it sure saves a few trips back-forth to the trailer.

The only other difference is unloading...
Sometimes I get lucky and the guy at the landfill helps me drag them out
with the big bucket loader :p

But most of the time I use my backpack blower for that, sure it takes just as long but it's not near as hard on me...
Matter of fact, it's even faster if I put my handheld blower in the other hand.

Here's how I unload leaves off my trailer with the backpack, after the tarps covering the pile comes off,
keep in mind these are pretty densely packed:

1. Blow from either side and send the top part of the pile over the other side.
> Do this until it doesn't do much anymore.
2. Then, lower the gate and starting in the back of the trailer blow them out
that way.

And it does take time (and burns you know what) but wow it's so easy.

deere615
10-13-2008, 09:54 PM
I have a bunch of the big green 60gal barrels, I also have a few other ones and I will put leaves in them, they are easier to empty. Sometimes I will just through a tarp in the bed and load it up then through a tarp over the leaves

ExecutiveLawns
10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
I have a 4'x4'x7' box on the front of my trailer with a Load-Handler built in. Clean and easy. I've been adding my clippings for about 5 weeks now without having to unload yet. Today's leaves filled it up a bit, though...

5 weeks? doesnt that smell horrible?

I Know this is probable not what you want to hear but we use a leaf loader and dump trailer with a 20 cu yard bow in it. thats the most efficient and productive way i have found. Takes less than 3 min at the dump where time is $$$ unless you are somehow charging some one for you to be at the dump screwing around scooping out a mower trailer with leaves.

J&R Landscaping
10-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I have a leaf box built for my truck bed. Emptying it can be labor intensive at times but I'm hoping to be grabbing a dump insert for the upcomming fall season.

Puddle of Oil
10-14-2008, 12:17 AM
I dump my leaves at my shop. I stand a wooden pallet up in the front of the trailer, hook a chain to the pallet and run the remainder of the chain to the back of the trailer before any leaves are placed in the trailer. When I get to where I dump I have a post anchored in the ground with another chain attached to it. I hook both chains together and then drive the truck, the leaves come right out. Then I setup the pallet and chain again and go off to retrive more leaves. You can dump several loads by backing in at different angles to the post or you can pull the leaves out with a tractor or other vechicle. Many times municiple dumps have dozers that you can hook on to and the dozer pulls them out.

John C

wow thats very creative. i gotta try that. how tall are ur trailer walls. probably dosent matter but just curious. do u have chains on each corner of the pallet or one on both sides?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-14-2008, 12:43 AM
5 weeks? doesnt that smell horrible?

I Know this is probable not what you want to hear but we use a leaf loader and dump trailer with a 20 cu yard bow in it. thats the most efficient and productive way i have found. Takes less than 3 min at the dump where time is $$$ unless you are somehow charging some one for you to be at the dump screwing around scooping out a mower trailer with leaves.

Nah. It's so hot and dry here that the grass bakes dry pretty quickly. When I unload it, the ammonia is amazingly powerful - but I pull up, unroll the load handler, put it back into place, and am driving away after about 2 minutes...

PHS
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
I dump my leaves at my shop. I stand a wooden pallet up in the front of the trailer, hook a chain to the pallet and run the remainder of the chain to the back of the trailer before any leaves are placed in the trailer. When I get to where I dump I have a post anchored in the ground with another chain attached to it. I hook both chains together and then drive the truck, the leaves come right out.You can dump several loads by backing in at different angles to the post or you can pull the leaves out with a tractor or other vechicle. Many times municiple dumps have dozers that you can hook on to and the dozer pulls them out.

That's the way I dump debris too. I have a long heavy bull rope that I can move from tree to tree as my pile gets bigger.

Ramairfreak98ss
10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
You guys are talking about boxes on landscape open trailers or dump trailers? W just load up a pickup or the 14' dump trailer, obviously anything large we use the dump and it just dumps at the end :0

birdturd9726
10-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Not to dampen your spirits, but a box on your trailer is very labor intensive. If you have a bagger that chops the leaves up, that helps w/ space, but the leaves will be very hard to remove from the trailer, especially if they get rained on. Trust me, I know. I started out with a dump bed on the truck and a leafloader, filled up way too fast. The next leaf box was on a 14ft trailer, it held a lot of leaves but took forever to unload. I now use a grain truck w/ mesh top and a 27hp vac. It still requires me to unload the bottom layer sometimes, but it is the most efficient method I can employ.

do you mean you had a dump insert in your truck and it filled too quickly?