PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1-2 acre residential ZTR advice

estesbubba
10-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a property that is 2.3 acres. About 1 acre of that is prairie grass which I don't intend to mow. The lot has a slight slope but if pretty flat. I want something that will last me a lot years but I don't want something that is going to be overkill. I've looked at several ZTR's and so far these 2 stand out:

1. Hustler FasTrak 48" with a 19HP Kawasaki or 18HP Honda for $4599.

2. Exmark Quest 48" with a 22HP Briggs & Straton ELS for $3999.

Both of these seem to have more beef than the residential Gravelys, Ariens, etc. I looked at. Of course, they are also more $$$ than those.

Any opinions on the Hustler or Exmark for mowing 1-2 acres residential? Either one of these leave a better cut? Should I be concerned about the Briggs engine in the Exmark? Are there any other models you would recommend for my needs? How big of deal is stamped vs. welded decks for residential? Any help is appreciated.

David Haggerty
10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I would seriously recommend the Kubota diesel ZTR for homeowners. With the fabricated deck.
The diesel just eleminates engine problems. For years they start, run do their job and don't complain.
Check them out. Ask someone who owns one.

djchiodo3
10-08-2008, 03:56 PM
If speed is not an issue, I would consider a diesel tractor from John Deere. You can add attachments that would make yard work more productive. You can buy new or find plenty used ones on ebay or local dealer. Stay away from Briggs.

mowerbrad
10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Stay away from the Briggs ELS engines. I'm on my 3rd one.

lambdin
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I was in your shoes a few months ago and ended up buying a hustler super mini honda 24/52" model and couldnt be happier! if you can swing the extra $500.00 the mini is the real deal! full commercial unit thats quick and cuts great, good luck oh and stay away from anything with a briggs motor.

brucec32
10-09-2008, 01:36 AM
I would seriously recommend the Kubota diesel ZTR for homeowners. With the fabricated deck.
The diesel just eleminates engine problems. For years they start, run do their job and don't complain.
Check them out. Ask someone who owns one.

What's with the diesel fetish? This is a single 1.3 acres of grass, not 40 lots a week, its being used for. It's complete overkill.

I'd suggest a slightly USED or perhaps dealer demo true commercial ZTR of a major brand so that you can get most of what you paid for it back at resale time and will have no problems finding a buyer.

Buying new will result in a depreciation hit that exeeds the actual use put on the mower. Then if things change you're left selling a barely used mower for thousands less than you bought it for.

Sammy
10-09-2008, 08:31 AM
.............. oh and stay away from anything with a briggs motor.

Thats kind of brash. I have a few B&S motors. All have worked great.
I also have Honda, Kohler and Kaw. They also have worked great.

MOHUSTLER
10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Go with the Hustler, Ty up there in Omaha will set u up and treat u good. Hes a fantastic dealer. And the hustler is a top of the line machine. AND if u by new as opposed to used u will get the full 4 year warranty on that machine.

TrapperJohn
10-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I have around 10-11 acres at home to keep down. Not a rich man, I live way out in the boonies.

I'd echo what others have said - look for a slightly used commercial mower. After going through a couple of cheap residential mowers, I bought a 60" commercial Dixon zt, salesman's demo with 300 hours on it. That was sixteen years ago. Just retired it this year, when the engine blew. Could have fixed it, but just wanted something new after all that time. The commercial mowers don't just last longer, they last a lot longer.

Replaced my old dixon with a diesel Kubota 326. So far so good, but I don't know that I'd recommend the Kubota for a small yard. It weighs a ton. Well, about 1700 pounds, but you get the idea.

All_Toro_4ME
10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a property that is 2.3 acres. About 1 acre of that is prairie grass which I don't intend to mow. The lot has a slight slope but if pretty flat. I want something that will last me a lot years but I don't want something that is going to be overkill. I've looked at several ZTR's and so far these 2 stand out:

1. Hustler FasTrak 48" with a 19HP Kawasaki or 18HP Honda for $4599.

2. Exmark Quest 48" with a 22HP Briggs & Straton ELS for $3999.

Both of these seem to have more beef than the residential Gravelys, Ariens, etc. I looked at. Of course, they are also more $$$ than those.

Any opinions on the Hustler or Exmark for mowing 1-2 acres residential? Either one of these leave a better cut? Should I be concerned about the Briggs engine in the Exmark? Are there any other models you would recommend for my needs? How big of deal is stamped vs. welded decks for residential? Any help is appreciated.

The mowers you listed are fine. Not sure why some of the guys are "recommending" diesel unit for a 1-2 acre lot. 1-2 acres is nothing and a diesel is way overkill. The diesels are made to run hard all day long. Definately not your case. The models you chose are fine, and 48" deck is plenty.

estesbubba
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
While I have a Dodge with a Cummins Turbo Diesel and love it, I think a diesel would be overkill for 1-2 acres residential. I've been checking craigslist but nothing used has been popping up. I plan on keeping this a long time, so buying new with a warranty is probably better for me. I'm learning towards the Hustler. My friend has one and knows of several other people that do and all love them.

MOHUSTLER - I've bought a blower and mower from Ty's and he'll be my Hustler dealer if I go that route.

jtruck618
10-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Yep, get the Kawasaki engine. Worth the money.

djflats
10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Look at a Cub Cadet Recon. I don't know anything about it but I like the name...RECON.:usflag:

David Haggerty
10-10-2008, 08:17 AM
I think a diesel would be overkill for 1-2 acres residential.

Sure it'd be a bit of overkill. But if you could swing it, it'd be the last mower you'd ever buy.

I have 3/4 acre here at home. I leave an old 25hp diesel for the wife to mow it with. Takes her 10 minutes.

I recently sold my old Toro 580-D to a guy who has a couple of acres to mow. Said he was getting tired of spending th whole weekend mowing the lawn. That old Toro is big! 16' cut, 80hp turbocharged diesel! He was happy as a clam! Now That's overkill!

Diesels can run a lot of hours, but they also endure neglect better. Change the oil & filters once in a while and that's it! They run for years with no more care than that.
Find someone who has an old Kubota or Yanmar mini tractor. They'll last a lifetime. Of course there's that initial investment.

lawnjocky
10-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Have you considered a mid-size walk behind. 1.3 acres is not that big. The cost would be about the same or less and it would be cheaper to run and maintain. Just about any walk behind will last longer than a rider. The only down side is you would be walking.

TSeck
10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Just bought a used Quest with 9 hours on it. So far it's a great machine. Properly maintained the ELS motor should be fine. The Hustler is also a great ZTR. See if the dealer will let you demo the mower on your site. The main thing is to make sure your happy and the dealer is there when you need him.