PDA

View Full Version : Dixon Commercial ZTR

greenred
10-08-2008, 12:46 AM
I was in one of my local Red Max dealers the other day. They carry Dixon mowers. I got a chance to look at their commercial ZTR the Grizzly up close. I was surprised by what I saw. From what I could see of the mower from the showroom it appeared to be a well built and designed mower approaching the level of other commercial ZTR manufactures.

The reason Im surprised is because I never associated Dixon with commercial quality ZTR. Im not knocking them, it was just my bias I guess you would call it. How it performs in the real world I have no idea, but it had the majority of signs of quality I look for when I look at a commercial piece of equipment.

Two things that stuck me out right that I was not sure about. First I did not like the gas gauge. I have a similar one on my old Cub and they get destroyed by exposure to the sun. The second and biggest iffy thing for me was Im not sure about the deck design, and that is one of the biggest factors when it comes to buying a mower. It looked too shallow to me.

But on the whole I left impressed by what I saw.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Easy way to test out your hypotheses.....
Demo the machine - cut some grass on a nice dewey morning and put that deck to the test.

JimQ
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
The current commercial Dixon are decent machines. Dixon guys love that tunnel deck for it's side discharge performance. Here's a few photos.

Q

JimQ
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
One more.

Shows how the tunnel is tapered.

Q

White Gardens
10-08-2008, 01:05 PM
I agree with the first post, I was never a fan of the original Dixon design. It was unfortunate for Dixon that they never seemed like they kept up with design changes to keep up with the demands of a commercial ZTR, considering they put out a respectable homeowner model.

The last couple of years I noticed the changes they've made also. I haven't demoed one, but I'm highly interested to see what they can do. I like the blue color alone to go with my biz colors.

Going by opinions, and a cooperate bias, I would demo a Dixon before I would demo a Cub-Cadet comercial. (Dixie Choppers are #1 on my short list.)

Hawg City Lawns
10-08-2008, 07:28 PM
trust me these are true commercial mowers ive got the 2008 kodiak 21hp kawi 52" cut and its a beast cant go wrong with one of them jimq was so right the tunnel deck is amazing on this thing i thought the same thing when i saw it "dang that thing is shallow" personally i think it leaves a better cut than deep tunnel decks but or the price its by far the best mower for the money your question about the gas guages yeah they suck but heck twist off the cap and look in the tank bnot buying a mower just because of the gas guage is dumb but i dont recommend it on a highly manicured lawn its a little heavy but if your doing those kinds of yards just get a walker theyre built for that but for normal grass or field grass its a great perfect, dixon is made by husqvarna which also makes yazoo kees which you know is a proven mower

lifetree
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
JimQ -- Is that a Grizzly or Kodiak in the pictures ?? I don't recognize that seat style from the current 2008 model lineup !!

JimQ
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
JimQ -- Is that a Grizzly or Kodiak in the pictures ?? I don't recognize that seat style from the current 2008 model lineup !!

That's a 2008 Grizzly. That seat was used previously on the now discontinued Silvertip. It's got a great backrest. Very comfortable for a non-suspension seat.

Q