PDA

View Full Version : crab grass

gm
12-30-1999, 04:13 PM
I have approximately 400,000 sq.ft.of lawn and about 25% has gone to crab grass before I took over the acount does anyone have suggestions on a quick safe method to get rid of the crab grass....

JimLewis
12-30-1999, 05:06 PM
That's a bummer. Next time, use a pre-emergent before the crabgrass season hits. <p>Anyway, for a solution, I believe Trimec Plus will kill crabgrass. But you want to be careful. It can also kill other types of grasses. Not sure what the rest of the lawn you are referring to is. Where I live, lawns are mostly perrenial ryegrass. Sometimes we get a little fine fescue blended in. Trimec Plus doesn't hurt those. But where you live it may be different. A good rule of thumb, in my experience, is that Trimec Plus kills the &quot;thicker&quot; grasses. But I'd check just to make sure. <p>The second problem you have is dead spots after you kill the crab grass. You'll want to re-seed those areas soon, before weeds or crabgrass come back. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com

Lazer
01-01-2000, 08:12 AM
For very young crabgrass, Trimec PLUS works okay (and it does get broadleafs too) but it's expensive and can discolor desireable turfgrass.<br>Then along came Acclaim, which works better, especially later in the season.<br>Now they have Drive 75, which is superior at controlling mature crabgrass without disireable turf discoloration.

LawnMowerKing10
12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
I mow this yard and the neighbor has crab grass I HATE IT

topsites
12-06-2006, 07:11 PM
drive-75 rules lol

barefootlawnsandlandscape
12-06-2006, 07:16 PM
You need two apps. of 1.5oz. rate of MSMA on 7-10 day intervals to do a good job of killing off the crabgrass. I like to tank mix 1 oz. Trimec and 1 oz. MSMA to kill it all, but that is on bermuda only. We really need to know what type of grass the lawn is. I don't know what your weather is like there, but more than likely the crabgrass from this year is dead. If you put down a good pre-emerge (Barricade) every 60-90 days depending on the rate and amount of rain you should be good for next spring. If some does pop up treat it while it is within the 3 leaf stage to get a good kill.

Precision
12-06-2006, 08:39 PM
talk to me about killing crabgrass in Florida when the base lawn is st. augustine (floratam).

Baking soda is the only thing that I know works for sure, but doing that any larger than 10sq ft is a major nuisance.

nmez21
12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
talk to me about killing crabgrass in Florida when the base lawn is st. augustine (floratam).

Baking soda is the only thing that I know works for sure, but doing that any larger than 10sq ft is a major nuisance.
Baking soda? never heard of using that, but I'm interested. Would it work in kentucky bluegrass, effectively? please tell me more, thanks

Precision
12-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Baking soda? never heard of using that, but I'm interested. Would it work in kentucky bluegrass, effectively? please tell me more, thanks
I have no idea. but get a 8 oz box from the grocery and sprinkly heavily on the grass still wet from the morning dew and see what happens. The grass / crabgrass should look like Tony Montoyas face at the end of Scarface. A nice thick dusting all over.

The crab grass will necrotize within 3-4 days. St. augustine will not. Not sure about other grasses.

salandscape
12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Wow, baking soda, I will into it on Bluegrass it I find anything out will post

Precision
12-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Wow, baking soda, I will into it on Bluegrass it I find anything out will post

The problem is, how do you broadcast it to cover decent sized areas.

In short you can't. hand sifting it becomes a huge chore. Easier to use round up and resod.

crzymow
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
400,000 sq ft sounds more like an estate, not a lawn. that must take a while to mow

BQLC
12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
The problem is, how do you broadcast it to cover decent sized areas.

In short you can't. hand sifting it becomes a huge chore. Easier to use round up and resod.
do you have to have a license to sprinkle baking soda?:laugh:
But all jokes aside i will try it on centipede and see how it does

Precision
12-07-2006, 07:14 PM
do you have to have a license to sprinkle baking soda?:laugh:
But all jokes aside i will try it on centipede and see how it does

I am gonna try doing the wettable powder routine and see if that works.

nmez21
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Come spring I'll give it a try on my 'test plot' in my backyard on some bluegrass- the baking soda that is - and report the results. I'm reading Turfgrass Science and Management by Robert Emmons right now, but I haven't gotten to the pest grasses and sedges section yet though.

lawnangel1
12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I would think that if a quarter of the yard is crabgrass and you kill it all out that some sort of a powerseed or at least overseed will be necessary to keep the yard in good shape. From now on you need to have this customer use a pre emergent or you will be doing this all over again in a few years.

jrc lawncare
12-08-2006, 06:56 AM
The next question is, is it even registered in your state? I would assume that if you were using it on your own property, no big deal, someone elses, I highly doubt it would be a good idea.

Runner
12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
gm,
Did you say 400,000 sq. ft. of turf,...as in 9 acres?