PDA

View Full Version : I'm 15. Starting out.

aahotard
10-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey guy i'm 15 soon to be 16 and getting my liscense I do about 5-6 lawns a week and thought i would post some pics of my equipment. I know it's not the best stuff, but it was all bought with my money and i could not afford anything better. Next season hoping for about 15 accounts a week and making enough money for a new lawnmower(maybe a commercial grade one). Let me know what you think

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
nice equipment!!!

i am 15 as well, but have been in the business for 3 years.

get a walkbehind.

advertise advertise advertise, and you will get your goal of 15 lawn accounts....OR MORE!

Keep it up!

MJS
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Nice equipment - for just starting out, that's exactly what you need. . . do excellent work, and you shouldn't have any trouble building up to 15 customers.

MileHigh
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Im glad to see that you have an edger.

Good luck.

Green Team Landscaping
10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Thats pretty snazzy for being 15. Especially the edger and bckpck blower. For the yards in LA it seems like you wouldnt need something much bigger than what you've got to start out. What do you want to upgrade to?

aahotard
10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
If i were to upgrade it would be another 21" but a commercial grade one because i don't know if that 200 dollar lawnmower could handle up to 15 lawns a week. What do you think?

f150 with bobcat
10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
great start up equipment good luck

Scag413
10-08-2008, 05:46 PM
it could hanlde 15 yards a week for a year atleast and then by then you should be able to afford a commerical one but good start man

Green Team Landscaping
10-08-2008, 06:04 PM
If i were to upgrade it would be another 21" but a commercial grade one because i don't know if that 200 dollar lawnmower could handle up to 15 lawns a week. What do you think?
I would run it until It cant run anymore. The one I use is nothing special, it's actually my dads Toro homeowner grade. The only problem it has had with being used to much was the ethanol in the gas so we switched over to higher quality gas. You probably shoulstick with that mower intil it gives you problems as I said before. As kids, we dont really have the amount of money that these big companies do, and the important thing, IMO, is to stay profitable and work with what you've got.

IHusky
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Looks good!!!

IHusky
10-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Very nice....keep up the hard work!!!!

bigbutch
10-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Always give people more then they expect. Be polite and ask for referrals. I have been grinding stumps for 25 years and most of my work comes from referrals. I also give small gifts to my customers that get me new jobs.

deere615
10-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Good start. I have the same trimmer and bp blower except mine is the tube throttle. I also have a bolens edger that looks alot like yours. Deffinetly upgrade your mower when you can afford it. I know someone that has one like it and they hate it. I like honda IMO

DSLND
10-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Thats a great assortment of stuff you have there.

I'm same age, and I have been where you are. Those are the great years, because you work hard to build your business to meet your goals, and its fun to look back and see what you have accomplished.

Don't do good work, do the best. Details make the difference. Going the extra route to do the better job, thats where I have hit success.

I had I think twenty properties last year. I have like forty something now. I have done zero door-to-door advertising. All referrals, and word of mouth. Heck, I am so overbooked, any advertising I can control has stopped (truck/trailer signs, yard signs, etc.)

Like I said, don't be good, be the best.

PM me if you have any questions.

-Mitch-

RLLServicesCT
10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Hey, just like what dream scapes said, you have to work hard to be the best and especially for your age its a lot harder, I know. I'm in the ballpark of your age and working with people is very hard at times, but if you do the job not just good, but you want to here "wow this is the best the lawn has ever looked". Save your money to buy a trailer and something to tow with, then get a used commercial belt drive /w bagger and build from there. Remeber, you can handle many more accounts with a larger mower with less fatigue and more profitablility as well as overall cut performance.. Best of luck to you in all your efforts!

tinman
10-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Better to start off small with no debt in my opinion. Check daveramsey.com for a good financial guide . good luck

FinerCutslawnCare
10-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Make do with wat you have as long as you can!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-09-2008, 01:08 AM
I run a Cub almost exactly like that and it would handle plenty of work if I needed it to

02DURAMAX
10-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Nice!!!

Also Keep buying COMMERCIAL Equipment!!!!

Best investment for power equipment.

As soon as you can buy a commercial mower buy it!

bakerc8
10-09-2008, 04:03 PM
he man i am like yo i gess i started my bis 2 years ago with 1 toro and then this year i have a troy bit that my rets bought then i bout a echo and i bought a stihl bp blower off e bay and if i were you i would get pull behind garden cart i got one last year when my grandparents moved and got my 0 turn this year and put the cart on the back to pull all my stuff. so i would get one sorry for the ramble have a nice day.

alexlawn23
10-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Much better than the equipment I had starting out at 17, to get more clients, I printed out as many color flyers as I could in school at lunch. My first year I had 12 clients,now,my second year I have 46 clients. The key is to hand out a lot of attractive flyers, do good work, and set your goal very high! much higher than 15. Stay focused and don't let anybody deter you, and you'll do great.

S man
10-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Looks good man. Where in new orleans are you? I'm in kenner by the airport. Pm me if you want to meet up sometime.

deere615
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Much better than the equipment I had starting out at 17, to get more clients, I printed out as many color flyers as I could in school at lunch. My first year I had 12 clients,now,my second year I have 46 clients. The key is to hand out a lot of attractive flyers, do good work, and set your goal very high! much higher than 15. Stay focused and don't let anybody deter you, and you'll do great.

haha last year I would print out like 5 or so colored flyers at school every day, when the librarain wasn't around! Only ended up getting 1 customer of them though

Kennedy Landscaping
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
About the only thing I do at school is think to myself, ok what needs to be done today? And get on LS

deere615
10-11-2008, 08:16 PM
About the only thing I do at school is think to myself, ok what needs to be done today? And get on LS

YEP, thats all I did in highschool, now in college I just sit there thinking what lawns I have to cut today, who I have to call etc. o and try not to fall asleep:nono:

Lil'MowinMan93
10-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's what i did. Kepp all of that stuff until you save up enough money to pay cash for a nice commercial w/b or ztr. I started 2 years ago with a lawn boy, homelite trimmer and blower. This year i kept the lawn boy but bought the same trimmer and blower as you but my blower is tube throttle. I have 7 accounts including my own house. I just recently purchased an encore 34 inch rider because most of my property's aren't that big. My biggest advice is.. Don't go big unless you know you want to persuit it. Best of luck.

Joe

joef450snowplow
06-06-2009, 12:12 AM
im also 15 started at 13 i have 10 yards this year i started with a craftsman and a homlite string trimmer and hand held blower /vac and still have it as a back up and now i got a scag 32 and husqvarna back pack and the same trimmer
gust put your heart in to it and treat your customers yards like your own and u will get the toys u want

joef450snowplow
06-06-2009, 12:18 AM
when u get older go wear theres snow to make money in the winter
i make more money in the winter [NY] clearing snow then cuting lawns

metro36
06-06-2009, 08:46 AM
when u get older go wear theres snow to make money in the winter
i make more money in the winter [NY] clearing snow then cuting lawns

You must not have alot of lawns or have alot of big plowing accounts. I cant see how you could make more money plowing than cutting here on LI. Some years we only get a couple dusting's of snow and no major storms. Now if you were in Vermont or Colorado it would be a different story.

As to the original post. I started out 5 years ago in the same place as you. Toro recycler, cub cadet hand held blower and echo pas-260 with edger and trimmer. I worked my way up from there. My only advice is do advertising to get your name out there after that if you do good work then people will find you. For me my work has been my best advertisment.

tstutz
06-06-2009, 10:25 AM
i agree with everyone else. successful businesses start out small and work up. they dont aquire alot of debt to start, they do what me and you are doing which is start small (with paid equiptment) and work up getting more accounts which will lead to bigger equiptment. looks good man keep it up

AdvancedLawns
06-06-2009, 11:20 AM
yeah, im in kenner also, where are you at..pm me

btw im 15 too

mowerdude777
06-06-2009, 12:41 PM
nice start

joef450snowplow
06-06-2009, 12:51 PM
there was one time i was walking home and one guy that did my lawn when i was 5 sow me taking his customers bec i was under cutting his prices and he said u better stop steal my bis and i said when u fist met me u new i would be ur competition when i got older

2brothersyardcare
06-06-2009, 07:44 PM
looks good stuff man

S man
06-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Did you ever get the toro commercial 21"?