PDA

View Full Version : Sitting down on the job?

Wright Mfg
10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
This video makes a good point. Don't be like George Costanza, assuming the job can be done just as well sitting down, blind of the consequences. Consider the consequences of sitting down on a mower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPMZS1DaK1E

Many of you have experienced the added productivity of stand up mowers and can see the safety advantages over sit down mowers and still others understand why without even riding one, but still are willing to forgo some productivity, safety, etc in order to sit down, "assuming" they'll be more comfortable. The thing yet to realize is that although sitting down may be more comfortable behind a desk or in a car on a smooth road, it's generally not when mowing on not so smooth turf (particularly with today's faster mowing speeds) and having the seat back and armrests slap you silly and expecting that your spine can absorb shocks as well as your legs can. Note that in motocross, even though the dirt bikes have great suspension, the riders stand up to further absorb shock with their legs when landing or when hitting a series of bumps.

After understanding all that, here are 10 more reasons to choose Wright. :clapping: http://www.wrightmfg.com/10reasons/

Enjoy,
JV

MileHigh
10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice presentation...

I love those mowers, and will purchase a couple in the near future.

brucec32
10-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Too bad your stand ons have similar or higher ground pressure as small ztrs due to the smaller tire size and high weight for their size, lack true terrain tracing floating decks with proper antiscalp wheel placement to conform to undulating terrain common on new home developments here where we have nothing but hilly terrain , have decks that can't be feathered up and down to avoid scalping over crests of hills, and therefore can't cut Bermuda at 1.75" w/o scalping the bejesus out of it. They look fun to use, though.

You're not alone by any means. Northern turf-centric attitudes and design (apparently optimized for cutting Kentucky blue at over 3" on what was formerly flat farm land, minimal emphasis on mulching technology, weight seemingly not a factor since that grass repairs itself, unlike Fescues used here in shady areas) are costing mower manufacturers a lot of sales. I've seen exactly 3 standers in use in the Atlanta area in 16 years. And none of the dealers I visited to look at them are still Stander dealers.

Make it lighter, not all of us are brutes that destroy our machines so you don't have to make them heavy. You might save enough steel to knock the price down some too.
Make sure it cuts and mulches well, make the deck resemble that of a turf tracer hp (antiscalps all over it, especially at the corners, deck suspended freely to float easily) , make a 3 blade unit (for short length and less scalping over undulations) capable of going through 48" gates, and find a way to raise the deck on the fly (ala the new toro Grandstand) and sales would take off here once people became aware of the changes.

As designed, the mower is useful on about 25% of my properties, and those are almost all ones a ZTR does just fine on. I admire the innovative design, it just isn't appropriate for this area.

I was actually hired to cut a yard in a subdivision where the homeowners association pays for the lawn maintenance of the front yards. The old standers used (and operators) were doing such a bad job on the Bermuda, leaving lines in the grass at any concave or convex point This customer pays me to recut the front while I'm there doing the back yard. I noticed this year they have a new service. The lawns no longer really need my attention in front.

topsites
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
While I do agree that Ztr's are a lot more like riding a horse than driving a car...
My biggest issue has to do with cost efficiency.

A 1,300 pound 25hp hydro-power $9,000 machine quite simply is not cost
effective on most lots, consuming nearly 2 gallons per hour it's nothing but
a hog that can't get out of its own way in most average sized lots, thus taking
more time than it should, then costing an arm and a leg to operate.

It's just overkill to use a 5-foot deck on a 10,000 square foot property too,
I feel a little bit like driving a Nascar stock car on a dang Go-kart track,
it's not that the car isn't fast enough, it's that I can't get it around the loop!

Then the trailering, once that thing sits on my trailer it eats my truck's fuel,
and I have to drive a whole lot slower because of all that weight in back.
So it just eats me...

I only use the Z here and there, it's nice to have as a status symbol and as a guy I have to guess women
don't believe that having a Z really means that I am a man, and so I've put 125 hours on it in two years.

topsites
10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Oh...

So while the Wright may be a better mower in certain terrains,
I already have enough of a problem loading two mowers on my trailer,
I have little appreciation for weighted down trailers sucking up truck fuel one,
but playing musical equipment with my stuff is not something I enjoy either.

Another problem nobody ever seems to address is getting stuck.
Yes, that's right, sure enough it rained and the yard is wet and someone
wasn't paying attention and now the mower is stuck axle deep in the ditch.

Oh it's just not a common problem, sure, I hear you, but it happens to me at least once a year.

Got a Ztr stuck?
Forget it dude, go unhook the trailer, back up the truck, get the tow rope out, and so on...
Average time: 30 minutes to two hours, almost always long enough to totally interfere with a schedule.

How about the Wright stander, I don't see it being much lighter, hence I
don't foresee this thing being any easier once it's rutted deep in there.

That's just how it goes, you ain't never experienced stuck until you've been there, but once that POS is stuck you will know this BS lol
Now my main mower, no problem, I usually can push it out, it's that light.

Meanwhile, as was mentioned, scalping.
If I can't lift the deck there's no use, doesn't matter if it's floating, if anything
float decks just add more weight once again compounding the earlier problem.

But the manufacturers all know the answer, stick a bigger engine on it, there, 200 hp V-8,
say did it ever dawn on anyone that efficiency doesn't come with big and heavy...
Fuel is costing more than ever, where fuel used to run 5-8 percent of the cost it is running much closer to 20%,
I see one more big engine on a mower I just puke, I haven't bought a new machine in two years and with this
trend of bigger and heavier continuing I foresee another rebuild of my now 10-year old 15hp 300 pound 48"

Wright Mfg
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
......stand ons have similar or higher ground pressure as small ztrs due to the smaller tire size and high weight for their size.......
Our Drive tires are generally as large and sometimes larger than many of the small ZTR's and other stand on mowers. For example, the exmark Phazer uses 18x7-8 and our Stander RH uses 18x8.5-8. We use 24 x12 -12 on the biggest Stander (the ZK) as big or bigger than most big ZTR's and our classic Stander uses 20X10-8 bigger than most other Stand on's.

.....lack true terrain tracing floating decks with proper anti-scalp wheel placement to conform to undulating terrain common on new home developments here where we have nothing but hilly terrain.....Make it lighter

We know we don't satisfy every need by making the lightest decks, and we know that your city and grass types have the most need for that than most other places. just isn't appropriate for this area. We have on our "to do list" to eventually cater to those sort of needs. We do however feel that our mowers contour better than most before the deck alone floats, because our four wheels are closer to the deck than most which allows the whole mower to more effectively float. For example, our 48" fixed deck Stander contours quite well because of wide rear tires that are almost touching the deck and not a lot of deck overhang (virtually no space to put scalp wheels anyway if it were a floating deck) The whole mower floats ....like you want.......we do this....... Make sure it cuts and mulches well.......make a 3 blade unit (for short length and less scalping over undulations)

capable of going through 48" gates, and find a way to raise the deck on the fly

We do that too. We get through 48" gates with our 48" deck mowers and all of our non-fixed deck Standers have a deck lift lever to lift the deck on the fly.

I admire the innovative design.......

Thanks,
JV

lawnboy dan
10-09-2008, 10:34 AM
dear wright-if you had come out with the compact stander that can get tru gates -i would have bought one years ago. at least you now acknlodge the need for a smaller sized machine now.

mag360
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Toro has a useable lift on the fly feature? I've been suggesting this as the next step for stand on machines for a few years now---it's about time someone made the option available.

I believe that Wright has the nicest units on the market though, and I'd love to see a lift on the fly option on their machines. The handle on the RH is a start but is not really useable while operating the controls. A foot pedal of some sort would be better but placement would be an issue so it would probably come down to a switch operated electric lift---one that responds similar to grassoppers where you push to raise and the deck floats back down when you release. Maybe that's the system toro is using though.

Wright Mfg
10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
dear wright-if you had come out with the compact stander that can get tru gates -i would have bought one years ago. at least you now acknlodge the need for a smaller sized machine now.

dear Dan, I don't know what you're talking about. We've had a 36" Stander for many years and a 32" Stander for a few years now.

JV

Wright Mfg
10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Toro has a useable lift on the fly feature? I've been suggesting this as the next step for stand on machines for a few years now.......I believe that Wright has the nicest units on the market though, and I'd love to see a lift on the fly option on their machines.......

You need to take one hand off the control to lift the deck on theirs as well. Although the RH has a button to push as you pull the lever, the ZK does not, so we can "lift on the fly" pretty well. You just need to hold the controls with one hand in the center. It's probably tricky to do on theirs actually because they have that OPC on the one control lever that you have to keep down. Our OPC operates with the platform you stand on, so you don't even have to think about it.

JV

dishboy
10-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Give me a timed overlapping compact mulch deck with true side by side blades like Walkers new mulch deck and I will consider your machine. For me QOC is number one and Lawnsite members feedback of Wrights QOC is less than positive and certainly worse than the opinions of Walkers cut. Undoubtedly your stander is more productive , cheaper to buy and maintain, so get the QOC and mulching ability in par with Walker and I'll buy a 36" and a 42"

heather lawn sp
10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
While I do agree that Ztr's are a lot more like riding a horse than driving a car...
My biggest issue has to do with cost efficiency.

A 1,300 pound 25hp hydro-power $9,000 machine quite simply is not cost
effective on most lots, consuming nearly 2 gallons per hour it's nothing but
a hog that can't get out of its own way in most average sized lots, thus taking
more time than it should, then costing an arm and a leg to operate.

It's just overkill to use a 5-foot deck on a 10,000 square foot property too,
I feel a little bit like driving a Nascar stock car on a dang Go-kart track,
it's not that the car isn't fast enough, it's that I can't get it around the loop!

Then the trailering, once that thing sits on my trailer it eats my truck's fuel,
and I have to drive a whole lot slower because of all that weight in back.
So it just eats me...

I only use the Z here and there, it's nice to have as a status symbol and as a guy I have to guess women
don't believe that having a Z really means that I am a man, and so I've put 125 hours on it in two years.

Our 'average lot' is 170,000 square feet , and 4 z's could fit and sometimes do! 500 hours per year per Z

lawnboy dan
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
i was refering to the 32 -the 36 is too big for some fla gates. -here most have backyard pools

mag360
10-10-2008, 01:26 AM
You need to take one hand off the control to lift the deck on theirs as well. Although the RH has a button to push as you pull the lever, the ZK does not, so we can "lift on the fly" pretty well. You just need to hold the controls with one hand in the center. It's probably tricky to do on theirs actually because they have that OPC on the one control lever that you have to keep down. Our OPC operates with the platform you stand on, so you don't even have to think about it.

JV

I just looked at the grandstand and looks like yours is just as easy to access(if not easier). Most of the midmount ztr's in the 90's used a hand operated deck lift---they worked ok but foot pedals are now standard on almost every one of them.
I really hope the next big step for stand on machines will be electric deck float with a switch integrated into the control lever or at least near your hand as you operate the controls.

Runner
10-10-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm 44. I've been in this business too long. I'll sit. :)

Wright Mfg
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm 44. I've been in this business too long. I'll sit. :)

Even more reason to Stand. Like I said, a seat on a mower going over rough ground can beat you silly, making your body age quicker ;)

I'm 44 also.

Wright Mfg
10-10-2008, 09:36 AM
While I do agree that Ztr's are a lot more like riding a horse....

Exactly! Don't bet on the horse with Jockey that sits down during the race!

RandallM
10-10-2008, 01:06 PM
I just bought a used Sentar. I'll stand or sit depending on how the mood hits me. :laugh:

mcduff48
10-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Even more reason to Stand. Like I said, a seat on a mower going over rough ground can beat you silly, making your body age quicker ;)

I'm 44 also.

But.......you're paid to say that! :usflag:

Wright Mfg
10-10-2008, 02:51 PM
But.......you're paid to say that! :usflag:

Paid or not paid....the real question is, is it true or not true?. I'm not going to tell you something that doesn't make sense and that I don't believe. My credibility is at stake for one thing. Plus, I often give examples that back up what I'm saying. The "making your body age quicker" was not to be taken literally but figuratively, as in you'll "feel" old.

JV

HOOLIE
10-10-2008, 07:11 PM
You need some dealers here to sell the things in Northern VA. There's over 1.5 million people in the area, one of the highest income areas of the country, and I can only find 2 dealers listed, and they are both near the beltway. Get some dealers out near Dulles and I bet you'd sell a lot of mowers.

milike
10-10-2008, 07:30 PM
okay and the sheep still eat the grass,,,

Stinchcomb Lawn
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The movie clip was funny as hell !!

I have a Wright Stander along with 3 JD z's. The Wright quickly became my number one mower, I dont leave home without it!! I would rather stand then sit!! :usflag:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Iam 42 and love to Stand,my back felt like crap sometimes at the end of the day even with a suspension seat. The Toro Grandstand has the same type of set-up as the rapid height Stander.

I was'nt really impressed with this new machine ,i checked one out last week at the dealer.

I dont have any problems with cut Quality on our standers, keep the decks clean and blades sharp.I now they dont cut well in all regions but neither do alot of other mowers ! Our 52 stripes nice. Better cut then my hustler ever did.

Ive used WB Mowers for 3 years ,never again. Ican put more of these mowers on a trailer.

I dont think you'll get any highly productive fast machine to cut like a Walker. There for those finess High end Accounts.

Grits
10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I have been standing up for 2 years behind a 48" WB with sulky. I just got a Hustler Super Mini with Flex Forks. I'll sit down! It is MUCH easier on the body.

brucec32
10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Our Drive tires are generally as large and sometimes larger than many of the small ZTR's and other stand on mowers. For example, the exmark Phazer uses 18x7-8 and our Stander RH uses 18x8.5-8. We use 24 x12 -12 on the biggest Stander (the ZK) as big or bigger than most big ZTR's and our classic Stander uses 20X10-8 bigger than most other Stand on's.

We know we don't satisfy every need by making the lightest decks, and we know that your city and grass types have the most need for that than most other places. We have on our "to do list" to eventually cater to those sort of needs. We do however feel that our mowers contour better than most before the deck alone floats, because our four wheels are closer to the deck than most which allows the whole mower to more effectively float. For example, our 48" fixed deck Stander contours quite well because of wide rear tires that are almost touching the deck and not a lot of deck overhang (virtually no space to put scalp wheels anyway if it were a floating deck) The whole mower floats ....like you want.......we do this.......

We do that too. We get through 48" gates with our 48" deck mowers and all of our non-fixed deck Standers have a deck lift lever to lift the deck on the fly.

Thanks,
JV

I should have been more precise. I was referring to compact frame ztrs like lazer z hp/Toro 400 class 44-48" versions that use 23x9 tires. The 34" ztrs do have very narrow tires. From what I'm hearing there aren't many rutting problems with the 48" and up standers, but compared to a walk behind the smaller decks seem a little heavier on turf. Just losing the 200 lbs of an operator gives them an unbeatable advantage in that regard.

The way the tires are tight against the deck on standers is a plus, and models with minimal overhang might indeed contour acceptably for most situations. Just not all. That's why I'd like a 44" 3 blade machine. The light deck requirement is so the antiscalps actually do their job and don't just gouge the dirt.

unfortunately we can only carry so many mowers on a trailer so a mower with a free floating deck with antiscalps would handle more of the lawns and be a one-machine solution. That is the ultimate value in a mower. One machine that does the job of two. That's one reason it'd also be nice to find a way to safely walk behind a stander when needed, even if not optimally comfortable to do so. Perhaps an articulating control set that swings back a foot or two when needed for walk mode.

I will have to disagree on getting 48" decks through nominally 48" gates. Some swear they have no problems but of about 10 accounts with gates that size my 44" squeezes through but the 48" is always a fraction too large. In fact I've never in 16 years been able to fit my 48" mowers through a "4 foot" gate. A post out of plumb, concrete poured at the base of a post, a gate that doesn't swing fully clear, something is always in the way.

As for the levers on RH models, it's about as good as one could want in a stand up mower, but its' not a substitute for a foot pedal. In many cases at the end of rows when making zero turns you want to raise the deck to avoid having an antiscalp scrap sideways and tear the turf. Remember this is cutting at 1.5". Also tight turns will sometimes show marks in the grass when cutting. So it's nice to be able to lift that deck again and again with leg power. That would be quite a workout with a hand lever reaching forward.

The turning speed, ease of use, and compact length of a stander makes it an excellent 36" unit for the front of a trailer. I just need one that will cut anything I come accross with no apologies. I've always been willing to go smaller deck size in return for better cut and less wear. That's why I never went above Lazer Z hp 48" sized ztrs.

But I can totally understand why someone cutting northern turf or St. Aug couldn't care less about the attributes I need. I cut Tall Fescue lawns for years before I ever had a mower with any side anti-scalps on it. I had to keep a 36" wb around just to cut the Bermuda though, the other mower butchered it.

PS. If anyone from Toro is reading this, the new Grandstand is worthless to me due to the lack of antiscalps on a deck mounted on a relatively narrow frame. Without them, a wheel drops in the hole, the deck drops on that side, leaving a nice circular cupping mark in the customer's pristine Bermuda lawn. Customer finds guy with another mower to cut the lawn.

brucec32
10-13-2008, 01:18 AM
If there is an available model that can handle some contours I'd consider one. Couple of questions please.

1. Which size decks of RH stander and Sentar Sport have the front wheels out near the deck edges, with minimal trim edge?

2. How does "rear discharge" work?

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-13-2008, 07:19 AM
just ordered a 36" Stander.......it will go nicely with my 52"....

Wright Mfg
10-13-2008, 07:58 AM
If there is an available model that can handle some contours I'd consider one. Couple of questions please.

1. Which size decks of RH stander and Sentar Sport have the front wheels out near the deck edges, with minimal trim edge?

2. How does "rear discharge" work?

1. The front caster wheels fall within the track of the rear tires and we also don't want the caster wheels too close to the edges because you loose trim capability and the center of the deck would be more prone to scalping.

2. Rear discharge is more popular in Europe where they don't have as many wide open areas to side discharge. No better cut quality than side discharge, and the discharged grass is harder to deal with, having the mower running over it.

PTP
10-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Very pleased with my fixed deck 48"

Wright Mfg
10-21-2008, 09:07 AM
If your going to GIE, be sure to stop by our outdoor booth and take a whirl on the ZK, Velke SuperPro and our other great products.

Rides are free and you don't have to be as tall as me unless you're a competitor and then tickets are $50 or you have to be taller than me. <Just kidding>

JV