PDA

View Full Version : My dealer might of lost me this morning.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Earlier this year I went in to a new dealer and bought and bought some equipment. He lived across town but when I moved over here I decided to switch to him because he would always help me out and give me good prices.

So far this year I have bought a JD Stander, RedMax trimmer, trimmer line, cases of 2 cycle, new blades for my mowers, and had them do some work on equipment. I would say I have spent close to $10,000.

This morning after being off for a couple days due to sickness and rain I got started at house 2 minutes away from them. I popped a tube in my tire and ran up there to see if they would fix it.

No dice.

The mechanic who was just standing there smoking when I got there said he was way to busy to help because it was a 30 minute job and to come back next week.

I asked him if he was kidding me and he said nope.

I stormed out of there pretty pissed.

I drove 20 minutes across town to the other Deere dealer and they hooked me up and I was out of there in 10 minutes with a $6.00 bill.

Ive always been pretty loyal to these guys and I really dont want to leave. Im thinking about calling the owner and talking to him about it.

MileHigh
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
The other week I had to go into the dealer to get my tthp worked on all of the sudden. He was in the middle of installing about 4 plows on trucks that day he said...

They got me in and out within 20 minutes.

Sounds like your dealer sux..

penthink
10-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I am often accused of being a hot head, but I think you have every right to feel the way you do. I would definitely suggest you call the owner and let him know of your intentions, and let him know why he is losing you. He may try and rectify the situation. If he responds like a jackass, then you know you can move on to another dealer having made the right decision.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 06:28 PM
The other week I had to go into the dealer to get my tthp worked on all of the sudden. He was in the middle of installing about 4 plows on trucks that day he said...

They got me in and out within 20 minutes.

Sounds like your dealer sux..

He's ALWAYS gotten me in and out of there quick but today his d-bag mechanic turned me down.

I hate getting people in trouble but I really think I should call him.

ed2hess
10-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Try greasing his palms next time....usually a twenty to the mechanic will help things along. Or go to a tire store.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Try greasing his palms next time....usually a twenty to the mechanic will help things along. Or go to a tire store.

$20.00 for a $6.00 job?

No thanks.

toddman36
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Call the owner. I always hate to complain about stuff, but in this situation I think its necessary. If that mechanic was my employee, I would want to know how he was treating my customers. I'm betting the owner will feel the same way.

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like one of our good ole American Workers,and they wonder why latino's have there Jobs.

Tharrell
10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I used to rely on a dealer and had nothing but great things to say until he let me down.
Don't EVER put your business in their hands. Be prepared for as many emergencies as you can and decide to use them when you HAVE to. Tony

topsites
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
$20.00 for a $6.00 job?

No thanks.

Now I don't believe in greasing either, but a $20 tip from time to time sure
makes their day... Unfortunately the day of the emergency can be a bad time
for this, I've learned what to do then is not be in so much of a hurry.

What always helps when they're standing around like ladeeda,
is just don't be in a hurry lol, fake it if you have to but slow down.
So take a chill pill, then it takes a little longer... :p

Because by the time I drive to the other dealer how much did it cost in
terms of labor hours (time) and wear and tear on the truck?

Just like getting a bad hand in spades,
gotta play that crap off hahaha

garnersgardening
10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I would call the owner also. Actually I would have asked for a manager right there. If he is to busy to do a quick 10-20 minute job what the hell is he doing smoking. A smoke break usually takes 10 minutes so he could get your tire done instead.
I wouldn't let this one time reflect on the company because of one bad person now if it were to happen again then I would look to change. I have actually been told that the manger is to busy to talk to me while at a restaurant. I basically responded that I didn't care what he was doing that I want to see him right now. The next few times my wife or I and any of our friends went in there we were told if you need the manager please come let me know and I will get him right away. To this day we still go there. That employee actually was fired the next day.

f150 with bobcat
10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
i would tell the owner the mechanic needs to go and that you are a loyal customer and remind the owner how much you have bought in that shop and that you would only expect the best response when your in a tight spot. The dealer i go to has helped guys out in many ways 9 times out of 10 there is loaner for when your machine goes down or he goes right to work on your machine. If the owner doesn't seem to care then never use them again.

puppypaws
10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
He's ALWAYS gotten me in and out of there quick but today his d-bag mechanic turned me down.

I hate getting people in trouble but I really think I should call him.

You need to request a sit down face to face meeting with the owner and explain exactly what happened. I think he more than likely will tell you if there is a problem there company needs to address for you to come directly to him. The mechanic is only "making 8" and really has no interest in the business. Smoking is much more important to that particular mechanic than your return business, but I bet it isn't to the owner.

Tell him not to mentioned your meeting to the mechanic, and you will not generate animosity from him toward you.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Why did you talk to the mechanic and not the owner/manager? Personally, I would have offered the guy $20 if it was something you couldn't do yourself. How much time did you loose driveing cross town? You could have easily made that back and then some.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Why did you talk to the mechanic and not the owner/manager? Personally, I would have offered the guy $20 if it was something you couldn't do yourself. How much time did you loose driveing cross town? You could have easily made that back and then some.

I just pulled around back to the service bay like I usually do. Their FT mechanic always hooks me up but he wasnt there today. I didnt lose a ton of time because my Wed list ends up close to there so I just started backwards after I got my tire done.

Restrorob
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
IN2MOWN,

I think you should have a talk with your dealer and let him know what happened, Especially since your regular mechanic wasn't there to take care of you.

I have been at the same shop 18 yrs and MY commercial customers ALWAYS come first, My work bay is next to the door and when I see one pull in I drop everything and meet them at their truck to see what they need.

If I ever cought wind of any of my co-workers blowin off one of MY commercial guys over a small job they could handle I would fire their azz myself. And yes, I can do that to save hassling the boss.

My Motto; A happy customer is a returning customer, A returning customer makes the business money in which I make money....payup

Let him know !

puppypaws
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
IN2MOWN,

I think you should have a talk with your dealer and let him know what happened, Especially since your regular mechanic wasn't there to take care of you.

I have been at the same shop 18 yrs and MY commercial customers ALWAYS come first, My work bay is next to the door and when I see one pull in I drop everything and meet them at their truck to see what they need.

If I ever cought wind of any of my co-workers blowin off one of MY commercial guys over a small job they could handle I would fire their azz myself. And yes, I can do that to save hassling the boss.

My Motto; A happy customer is a returning customer, A returning customer makes the business money in which I make money....payup

Let him know !

This is a smart man!

dgfitz
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Yea, like I am the employee of someone else, not yours!! Just because
you are Mr. Businessman in a hurry with your little flat tire you ain't got
sence enough to change yourself, quickly, you do NOT have the right to
order any one elses employee around.But don't fizzle, just remember your
dealer has employees, and thier free time is probably on a chart, and your
name ain't on the chart right then. Oh, a little tire patch kit will fit nicely in
your glove compartment, small well made portable air compressors are a
mandatory item for us lawn guys too. Now go back and apologise to your
dealer's employee, fate has a way of tracking us.

Dstosh
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I cant believe the way some of you guys on here act. You dont carry a tire plug kit with you in the truck or trailer? Unless you put a 1" diameter stick through the tire, you should be able to fix it on site. You need to be prepared. tools, tire kits, extra air tank.

And your mad at the dealer?! I understand you wanted/needed to be fixed, but I do everything I can not to be in that position.

txgrassguy
10-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Dstosh has a point, that said though you should not have been blown off like that by the PT mechanic.
I wouldn't necessarily have a sit down with the owner, you'd probably generate more gratitude if you mentioned it in passing.
The important aspect to all of this is not so much you but the dealer. Watch his response, not only to the mention of the crap mechanic but to you as well. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill yet, save it for when it is really necessary.
This will determine if you will remain loyal or not.
Now, for those of you who felt tipping was a bad idea: I say different.
I own/operate five vehicles plus trailers and when you take into account all of the tires on everything, it adds up to well over seventy. Bound to have a problem and do. I have a commercial account with a local tire company and at first they (the employees) were polite but not very fast.
So . . . I started tipping about a year ago, so far spent right at $130.00.
What do I get for this?
These guys literally race each other to see what I need done. Road side service calls are no different - one day I blew two tires on a trailer, loaded down with mulch, no way my jack would pick up the weight - not to mention not having a second spare.
Call the tire shop, they say 45 minutes to 1 hour minimum. I tell the manager who I am (company name) and the tire guy was there in fifteen minutes. Got charged for the tires (wholesale + 2%) and all service calls which are usually $110 are flat rated to $75.
The other day I was out with one of my girlfriends in my Jag and found myself close to the tire shop. I needed the tires rotated and had about ten minutes to spare so I pulled in. Three guys come running out and in less than three minutes the tires are rotated - and I didn't even buy the tires there. Slipped the guys a $20, told them to divvy it up as they wanted. Saw the manager, told him I was on the way into his office to see if he would rotate these tires but the guys did it before I could get to him. His response was no problem as he has heard his employees talk about how I "take care" of them.
Judicious tipping should not be over looked.
One last example: I take one of my gf's to the same nice restaurant for Sunday brunch usually twice per month. The place offers complementary valet parking - usually full by the time we get there. I lucked out one day, had the dudes park the car, ate brunch then got the car. Tipped the valet while speaking to them nicely - after about five visits I pull up one day but the lot is full. Same valet sees me, grabs the car no problem. As we are walking in a couple we were meeting commented that they had to park about 300 yards down the block. Maybe not a big deal but when it is over 100*F and you are wearing a nice suit it is much more comfortable to simply walk in the place. We finish our meal and walk outside, there is my car already cooled down waiting. The couple are amazed and say something to the valet - his response is although he parks cars worth many times what mine is worth the fact that I acknowledge them politely and warmly each time - the valets appreciate it. I only tip $3-$5 each time too.
And No, the valets don't cruise in my car as I know the mileage when I park it and get it back.

KCfireman
10-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Sounds like you went to Reynolds first then headed over to VanScrew...i mean Vanwall.

GravelyGuy
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Sounds pretty typical for my dealers so the story doesn't even surprise me.

What does surprise me is that you only payed $6.00??? I just payed $23.00 yesterday to get a new tube in my 24" Z tire. This was form a tire shop. Was this out of line?

tinman
10-08-2008, 10:37 PM
better to go to a tire place in my opinion.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Yea, like I am the employee of someone else, not yours!! Just because
you are Mr. Businessman in a hurry with your little flat tire you ain't got
sence enough to change yourself, quickly, you do NOT have the right to
order any one elses employee around.But don't fizzle, just remember your
dealer has employees, and thier free time is probably on a chart, and your
name ain't on the chart right then. Oh, a little tire patch kit will fit nicely in
your glove compartment, small well made portable air compressors are a
mandatory item for us lawn guys too. Now go back and apologise to your
dealer's employee, fate has a way of tracking us.

I did not order anyone around. I asked for work to be done and was denied.

By the way, they have a spell check feature for a reason.

IN2MOWN
10-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I cant believe the way some of you guys on here act. You dont carry a tire plug kit with you in the truck or trailer? Unless you put a 1" diameter stick through the tire, you should be able to fix it on site. You need to be prepared. tools, tire kits, extra air tank.

And your mad at the dealer?! I understand you wanted/needed to be fixed, but I do everything I can not to be in that position.

Have you read any of the posts?

I am not mad at anyone. Im dissapointed at the way I was treated by an employee that was to busy smoking to help me.

I dont think that its proper customer service consideing the amount of money I have spent there this year.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Out here in the Rockies, the population congregates in the valleys. My valley has one commercial dealer. And they have absolutely ZERO sense of "service" b/c of their monopoly. As a result I have left the valley for every purchase I've made.

Bunch of losers. Service is everything...

dgfitz
10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I did not order anyone around. I asked for work to be done and was denied.

By the way, they have a spell check feature for a reason.

So you surmise, the fact is you are interpolating to the employee that
you are indeed ordering him around, on his time, and his time is in the
control of his employer, not yours. You need to keep employees in the
perspective they need to be in. Did I say you were ordering him around,
or is that a figment of your own choosing? I too have been frustrated by
counter help, sales reps, and the like, but my most useful solutions were
when I just talked it over with the owner, and let my ego slide. Yea, they
have a spell check, but you just wanted another ego point.

lawnprosteveo
10-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Maybe its because Im a little fish in a big pond....but I dont think Ive ever had a dealer drop anything to help me. Not ANY of them that I can recall. Over the years Ive tried to learn to do as much repair work on my own as I can. This is a big reason I will be switching to gear drive walkbehinds and getting rid of other type mowers. There is pretty much nothing I cant fix on the wb's.
My main dealer I go to takes a full 2 weeks to get ANYTHING back to me. I guess Ive just learned to live with it.

brucec32
10-09-2008, 12:13 AM
While not stellar customer service attitude going on there, this was just a mechanic, not management.

Also, some of you guys seem positively allergic to the concept of keeping spare parts in stock and learning how to do basic maintenance and repairs yourself. Think of the time and money you'll save vs driving around hoping a dealer can fit you in. And if they don't have your part in stock you've just wasted even more time. I've read several stories here of guys pulling off jobs to drive over to a dealer to replace a belt. Some even pay to have their blades sharpened!

Every winter just take an inventory of items that are affordable yet might need replacing and order them online or from a catalog. Spark plugs, tubes, belts, small electrical switches, filters, etc, etc. If you need machines to do the maintenance required, bite the bullet and buy them, be it a blade grinder or a tire removal tool setup. In the big picture it's not much to invest to avoid hassles and downtime.

lawnguyland
10-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I get your point, but..............

If one of my customers called me and said " I need my lawn done right NOW"- good customer or not- no dice- I'll se ya when I get to it.

Another reason to have back up everything.

Tharrell
10-09-2008, 06:48 AM
I couldn't resist reading the other posts in this thread!
I still say be self sufficient as much as possible. I go overboard on it some say, like I have 2 portable air tanks with quick disconnects so I can blow air as well as fill a tire. I also bought a cheap tire repair kit. I can plug or patch anything including the truck or trailer tires.
On another note relating to tires, How many of you like taking old tires off and putting new ones on? Now I know getting them off ain't all that hard but getting new ones on is a real beoch sometimes.

Save your energy and just take them to Wal-Mart, they will dismount and mount those mower tire for $5 plus a new valve stem if you want it.
To me, that's a bargain. Tony

Bladerunner Inc
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
Talk to the owner. I'm sure if he is Anny kind of business man worth dealing with he will take care of things!

Sammy
10-09-2008, 07:22 AM
I get all my tires from a tire store.
He repairs all my flats for FREE.

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
So you surmise, the fact is you are interpolating to the employee that
you are indeed ordering him around, on his time, and his time is in the
control of his employer, not yours. You need to keep employees in the
perspective they need to be in. Did I say you were ordering him around,
or is that a figment of your own choosing? I too have been frustrated by
counter help, sales reps, and the like, but my most useful solutions were
when I just talked it over with the owner, and let my ego slide. Yea, they
have a spell check, but you just wanted another ego point.

I have no clue what you are talking about. :dizzy::dizzy: And I dont think you do either.

I walked in. Asked for help and was told no.

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 07:47 AM
While not stellar customer service attitude going on there, this was just a mechanic, not management.

Also, some of you guys seem positively allergic to the concept of keeping spare parts in stock and learning how to do basic maintenance and repairs yourself. Think of the time and money you'll save vs driving around hoping a dealer can fit you in. And if they don't have your part in stock you've just wasted even more time. I've read several stories here of guys pulling off jobs to drive over to a dealer to replace a belt. Some even pay to have their blades sharpened!

Every winter just take an inventory of items that are affordable yet might need replacing and order them online or from a catalog. Spark plugs, tubes, belts, small electrical switches, filters, etc, etc. If you need machines to do the maintenance required, bite the bullet and buy them, be it a blade grinder or a tire removal tool setup. In the big picture it's not much to invest to avoid hassles and downtime.

I do most of my work myself but I was not at my shop, my plugs had all dried up and I was 2 minutes away from him. I did not think stopping in and asking for something would be that big of a deal.

I was alread 2 days back due to the flu and rain on Tuesday and I thought he could get me in and out in a flash.

99% of dealers will go out of their way to get commercial guys back on the road quickly and I think the head mechanic would have if he would of been there.

I think this is more a problem of hiring a no good punk who has no social skills then being a bad dealer.

MOWER ACE
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Did You ever think the MECHANIC could be on break,could he be very behind because of
the missing mechanic?Im sure your not there only customer!

Dstosh
10-09-2008, 08:25 AM

I am not mad at anyone. Im dissapointed at the way I was treated by an employee that was to busy smoking to help me.

I dont think that its proper customer service consideing the amount of money I have spent there this year.

I read the post dude. I understand where you are comming from, but some quick planning on your part, and you would have been able to avoid the situation. I guess situations like yours is why I try to avioid going to the dealers. I dont buy enough to get A +++ service so I just do the service myself.

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Did You ever think the MECHANIC could be on break,could he be very behind because of
the missing mechanic?Im sure your not there only customer!

If he was on break he could of told me and I would of waited for him to finish killing himself slowly.

If he was behind I doubt he would of been sitting there at 8:30 in the morning taking a break.

I know Im not the only customer but I was the only one in there at the time asking for 10 minutes of his time.

DLAWNS
10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
If he was on break he could of told me and I would of waited for him to finish killing himself slowly.

If he was behind I doubt he would of been sitting there at 8:30 in the morning taking a break.

I know Im not the only customer but I was the only one in there at the time asking for 10 minutes of his time.

I see your point. I left one dealer that I was going to because they didn't show the effort to care. I now deal with another dealer and they go out of their way for me. I am not saying they should always drop everything for me but just make an effort and have a good attitude.

topsites
10-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Well how do you feel when it comes your way, like when a customer starts to
spend a lot of money in your business and you can see they're actually trying
to spend a lot of money, then next thing you know they start to acting like
since they are your best customer they should get preferred treatment...

And I'm not saying that is the case here, but it may have come across this way.

That's why I said, slow down some.
Had you not been in such a rush, heck I probably would've lit one up myself
and said Hi first, maybe chit chat for a bit say what's up, blablabla and bs and
wait for them to ask me what it is I need today, do it that way.

All I'm saying...

I read the post dude. I understand where you are comming from, but some quick planning on your part, and you would have been able to avoid the situation. I guess situations like yours is why I try to avioid going to the dealers. I dont buy enough to get A +++ service so I just do the service myself.

Well yeah, true, I am mostly that way too, and for similar reasons as well.

topsites
10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
How many of you like taking old tires off and putting new ones on? Now I know getting them off ain't all that hard but getting new ones on is a real beoch sometimes.

There is a trick to it, took me more than a few choice words until one day I
hit upon it, now I can mount you a dang car tire in 5 minutes lol

First one I did took me like 2 hours thou...
I couldn't begin to describe it, a technique of sorts, once I hit that spot with the mounting tool it was all she wrote it went right on.

The only thing is, with car tires they still need balancing.
But mower tires, that should be easy in comparison, those car tires get right stiff towards the end.

puppypaws
10-09-2008, 12:56 PM

What you did was perfectly understandable, you spend a great deal of money with these people. They are in the business of selling equipment and service, when you come up and need a small amount of service you should be taken care of, this is what maintains good customer relations. It makes no difference if the mechanic is on break or not, he can run his time card back through and take his break 15 minutes later, big deal.

The paying customer is always first when this is your means of livelihood. Now, for the people who say they are self sufficient and don't need help, goody for you. If I have enough money to pay for anything and everything I want done that is my business and I expect service when I pay for it. This is what you call business, you spend money to keep the economy moving.

This is what has happened with large numbers of American businesses, they have forgotten to put the customer first. They are in business to satisfy themselves and not the customer, this is a clear reason Toyota has taken over as number one in the world and left GM scratching their heads.

If you want service and have money to pay for it the dealer should do everything in his power to keep you happy, this is nothing but common sense, something disappearing in America.

mowerbrad
10-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I always buy my tires from a local tire shop. As long as I buy my tires from them and have them mounted I can get any repairs done to them for free. Like if I run over a nail and it punctures the tire I just bring the tire in and they fix it for me for free on the spot.

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I get your point, but..............

If one of my customers called me and said " I need my lawn done right NOW"- good customer or not- no dice- I'll se ya when I get to it.

Another reason to have back up everything.

I dont think thats a fair comparision. There are times when Im at someones house and they ask me to trim some shrubs or do something extra and I have NO problem doing it while IM THERE.

I was at the shop, it was a short job.

puppypaws
10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I dont think thats a fair comparision. There are times when Im at someones house and they ask me to trim some shrubs or do something extra and I have NO problem doing it while IM THERE.

I was at the shop, it was a short job.

Let's compare apples to apples. I would say if "lawnguyland" had a good paying customer that he normally serviced on Wednesday. This person calls him and says; I am having a wedding at my home on Saturday, could you please change me to Friday, I really want my property to look nice for the wedding. Not only would "lawnguyland" service them on Friday, he would make sure everything was to perfection. I believe he would be that type person.

As Bill O'Reilly says, "what say you" to this "lawnguyland?"

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Let's compare apples to apples. I would say if "lawnguyland" had a good paying customer that he normally serviced on Wednesday. This person calls him and says; I am having a wedding at my home on Saturday, could you please change me to Friday, I really want my property to look nice for the wedding. Not only would "lawnguyland" service them on Friday, he would make sure everything was to perfection. I believe he would be that type person.

As Bill O'Reilly says, "what say you" to this "lawnguyland?"

Ive had people do that to me and I have no problem at all accomodating them...for the right price.

robbo521
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
just get flat free tires.i know my deere dealer and if you walk up they point you right to the shop boss.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
same thing for me but i went to a dealer that is not my favorate i was just passing by and i needed a tube changed and they said i would have to leave it for 2 days and i said forget it and left went to MY dealer and they had it done in about 10 min. also this is the tube on the front wheel of my walk behind and as small as they are i couldnt do it myself but dealers will be dealers