PDA

View Full Version : hustler super z sliding

grassmasterswilson
10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Got a hustler super z that while hauling seems to roll on the trailer. I have noticed it when I accelerate from a stoplight/stop sign. I don't drive or pull away fast, but looking in my rear view I can see the mower pivot with one drive wheel locked and the other rolling. It does it on either side. It doesn't matter if you drive on or back on. My trailer has wooden floors and rails so it's not going to fall off. I don't want it banging into my Walker and messing something up.

I have thought about lockers, but I have so many different trailer configurations that I would have lockers everywhere.

Can you tighten the breaks? Any suggestions?

davis45
10-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Strap them down before DOT gets you.

puppypaws
10-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Got a hustler super z that while hauling seems to roll on the trailer. I have noticed it when I accelerate from a stoplight/stop sign. I don't drive or pull away fast, but looking in my rear view I can see the mower pivot with one drive wheel locked and the other rolling. It does it on either side. It doesn't matter if you drive on or back on. My trailer has wooden floors and rails so it's not going to fall off. I don't want it banging into my Walker and messing something up.

I have thought about lockers, but I have so many different trailer configurations that I would have lockers everywhere.

Can you tighten the breaks? Any suggestions?

You need to strap it down; but your brakes are not holding, if they were the mower would have to slide to move.

Richard Martin
10-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I use Fastraps. They are incredible. My Dixie hasn't budged since I installed them.

RonB
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Try dropping the deck. The deck pin fits over the thing you grab when the deck is in the locked-up position.

Pennington Lawncare
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Try taking your Super Z to the dealer and have the parking brake adjusted. I've had to have this done more than once on my little Cub Cadet..

TomberLawn
10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
You can probably adjust the parking brake yourself. Look in your manual before taking the time to go to the dealer for a 5 minute fix. But, you really do need to strap your mower down. I've been using a ratchet strap across mine, and recently purchased Fastraps. Strapping down is so important. A couple weeks ago, I was cruising through an intersection where I had the right-of-way. Speed limit was 55, but I had slowed down to about 40-45 out of precaution. Good thing I did. A Buick crossed the intersection 30 feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and swerved around behind the Buick to keep from creaming it. The mower didn't budge. Even when I'm just going 1/4 mile up the road, I throw the strap on. You never know when somebody could pull out or stop in front of you.

jsw2008
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Just get some ratchet straps from walmart. The way I strap mine is I pull close to the rail on one side of the trailer, then I pivot the front wheel so that it is pointing toward the rail, then I put the ratchet strap around the frame where the front caster connects and ratchet it tight. The mower never moves. Mine is a hustler too, so the parking brakes should keep it from moving front to back and the strap keeps it from sliding. It takes 10 seconds and I don't want any mower flying off the trailer if I have to stop in an emergency.