PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! w/ Leaf Loader Set-up For Leaves w/ Dump Insert

birdturd9726
10-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Alright guys, im in a little bit of a dilemma. I am almost positive i am going to go with a dump insert in my Ford F-250 instead of buying a relatively cheap dump truck. Im running with a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I am having trouble with what i am going to do for the leave. I do not want to pull 2 trucks and trailers, even though that can be a last resorts because i have 2 pickups. My leaf loader (Billy Goat 18hp) does not fit on the tongue of my trailer. I looked into having my trailer extended, but that is going to run about $800 to re-reinforce and weld to the beams. next year i am going to be getting a 7x14 dual axle, so i don't want to invest the money in this trailer, when i will be selling it. The leaf loader will fit on the current tongue leaving very little space, and im not sure if i will be able to turn without jack-knifing or having too much tongue weight. Also the leaf loaders exhaust will only be about 1-2 inches from the diamond plate on the front of my trailer. I do not know if i place the leaf loader on the actual tailgate of the dump insert, how many times i iwll be having to take it off. I plan on going about 2 feet over the cab of my truck with sides. How many leaf jobs will usually fit in this much space.
I am thinking about dolleying the leaf loader into my trailer, but that will be a pain in the A**. if anyone has any suggestions, or ideas, please let me know. Also, everyone out their especially with dump inserts, can you please post some photos of your leaf loader setups w/ the trailer. thanks

mowin4$
10-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I have a 250 w/ a dump insert.i have a billy goat 11hp vac on the tounge of my enclosed.we extended the tounge @ 2' to be able to set the vac on the custom framework we added to the tounge.the reason i did it because i am solo.did not want to have to lift off the vac from tailgate to go dump.now i just have to disconnect my trailer and go dump.i leave the vac on only during my cleanups.after all cleanups are done i can store all 6 grass cans inside the framework so they don't take up trailer or truck bed space.i have 2' sides on the insert and bungee down a mesh tarp over the top.the framework that the vac sets on i think is @ 22"-24" square.i have no problems turning or worryingabout jack knifing the trailer.hope this helps.i will be setting up the vac maybe next week.i'll try to get some pics of it if you need.

birdturd9726
10-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a 250 w/ a dump insert.i have a billy goat 11hp vac on the tounge of my enclosed.we extended the tounge @ 2' to be able to set the vac on the custom framework we added to the tounge.the reason i did it because i am solo.did not want to have to lift off the vac from tailgate to go dump.now i just have to disconnect my trailer and go dump.i leave the vac on only during my cleanups.after all cleanups are done i can store all 6 grass cans inside the framework so they don't take up trailer or truck bed space.i have 2' sides on the insert and bungee down a mesh tarp over the top.the framework that the vac sets on i think is @ 22"-24" square.i have no problems turning or worryingabout jack knifing the trailer.hope this helps.i will be setting up the vac maybe next week.i'll try to get some pics of it if you need.

if you can get a picture i would really appreciate it. Also, what size is your trailer, single or dual axle and how much did you pay to have it extended.

mowin4$
10-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Trailer is 16x8 tandem.a guy at work and myself did it one evening.cost me 300,inc. Metal.ill post pics as soon as i put the vac on.

M RASCOE&SONS
10-08-2008, 10:28 PM
go to your local trailor shop and get a front receiver mount hitch for your truck and then you can mount the leaf loader on the front.i will take pictures of the mount i fabricated for my leaf loader tomorrow .draw tite made the front hitch i put on my chevy 2500 that i just sold.

birdturd9726
10-08-2008, 10:41 PM
pictures of that front loader would be great. thanks

Petr51488
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Instead of the insert, and a dump truck, why not a dump trailer? Best investment i ever made!

birdturd9726
10-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Instead of the insert, and a dump truck, why not a dump trailer? Best investment i ever made!

then that brings me back to 2 trucks. Im trying to stay with 1 truck. also then the dump trailer is useless for weekly grass clippings. Do you use 2 trucks with this setup?

M RASCOE&SONS
10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
pictures of that front loader would be great. thanks

this is the bottom mount of my giantvac welded to a 1/4 inch pc of steel plate with a pc of 2x2 stock welded to the plate,its heavy but very solid.slide
the 2x2 stock into the front rec hitch ,drill a hole for your pin and your done.i hope this helps.:drinkup:

birdturd9726
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
this is the bottom mount of my giantvac welded to a 1/4 inch pc of steel plate with a pc of 2x2 stock welded to the plate,its heavy but very solid.slide
the 2x2 stock into the front rec hitch ,drill a hole for your pin and your done.i hope this helps.:drinkup:

thanks for the picture it really is helpful. if you can, can you post a picture of the loader on your truck w/ the tube going into the leaf box in your bed. thanks

hanson's glc
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
i had the same problem. i have a 98 2500 chevy with a truck craft aluminum insert and 8.5x18 enclosed. i looked at a extended hitch from tork lift new hitch and a 24" extension. that would work. that would mean i would have a lbs insert, 5+ yards of leaves,and lbs loader with swing away on the truck + the trailer. i didn't like that. the next thing i was thinking about was cut a hole in the enclosed and extend the tube to the truck. i ended up buying a 20' car trailer. i got a mesh gate for it for $20. i have to mount it 2' sides and mount the loader on the front.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Check out Red Max Mans setup from last year. He had a pretty neat one

bakerc8
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
why not put in front of your truck or secure it to the back of your trailer

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-13-2008, 08:05 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=247276&highlight=Snoway

this thread shows how I mounted the loader on the front of my truck....

mattfromNY
10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
My Little Wonder is mounted on the front of my dump trailer with the intake hose end forward toward the truck. When I first looked at it and measured it I was sure it wouldn't fit, just couldn't possibly fit. I built a cardboard mockup of the loader and duct taped it onto the trailer, then drove the truck around to simulate daily driving conditions. Son of a gun, it only clears by inches, but it fits, and it has never hit the truck even in tight angles or inclines. The exhaust can always be re-routed with black iron pipe away from the trailer.
Another option, I've seen hitch mounted carriers for luggage and such that go right into the trucks receiver, then out back have a receiver to hook a trailer onto. Not sure if this would carry the weight of your enclosed, but you could look into it.
Another