PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS110 fuel usage

pieperlc
10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
We got a couple of new FS110's this year and it seems to me that they use a lot more fuel than the FS85's. They have great power, but they seem to guzzle fuel like crazy. Is it just me or is everybody finding the same thing? I know it's a bigger motor, but I thought the 4-mixes were supposed to be more fuel efficient. I thought this was discussed before but a search turned up nothing.

South Florida Lawns
10-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah they weigh a lot more than the FS85's and burn substantially more fuel too.

I think the 4 mix was designed to burn cleaner, not less fuel.

Turf Dawg
10-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I think the tank is about 1/3 as large, so it seems like you are burning more fuel.

jkilov
10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
We got a couple of new FS110's this year and it seems to me that they use a lot more fuel than the FS85's.
The 85 engine, or 4137 series as stihl calls it was never really fuel efficient. Both my trimmer and edger can be thirsty at times. I can't imagine something using "a lot more" than these. How long does a full tank last?

I think the tank is about 1/3 as large, so it seems like you are burning more fuel.
The 85 tank is pretty small. I thought the 4-mix' had larger tanks.

Turf Dawg
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM
The 85 engine, or 4137 series as stihl calls it was never really fuel efficient. Both my trimmer and edger can be thirsty at times. I can't imagine something using "a lot more" than these. How long does a full tank last?

The 85 tank is pretty small. I thought the 4-mix' had larger tanks.

Man was I wrong on this one. I looked at the Stihl site and the 80 has a 14.9oz tank and the110 has a 18oz tank.

flatlander42
10-10-2008, 12:00 AM
i had an older fs90, and i now have an fs110. the fuel seems to last about the same, but then again i never ran them side by side.

the crappy part about this is that the only way to compare would be some sort of meter, wich i have not seen on a trimmer. unless you want to use a stop watch?

other than that it is just by FEEL, and that would be very inaccurate.

beats me,

Nathan

topsites
10-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I have the 100rx...

The secret is they have so much power you shouldn't have to run them WOT most of the time,
use just enough throttle to get the job done and the fuel consumption should stabilize.
Of course it is fun to run them on cruise control :p
Don't, unless you need that much, or walk faster lol

There are some rumors that running partial throttle will ruin the trimmer,
but I've always ran my 100 this way and I'm finishing my 3rd season with it,
I've had my share of repairs but nothing unusual, spark plugs and air filters,
a fuel filter and a carb once, it runs as good as ever.

My own preferred trimming throttle is right when it starts to bog a little, that's it.
Don't forget to inject that special Stihl grease into the spool head once a season.

Yes I also have an 85, but that's my pole trimmer for hedges.

pieperlc
10-11-2008, 09:18 AM
It seems to use more fuel. It's one of those things that you notice after running them day after day. I've never done any timing or anything like that, but I'm know that we're refueling them more often that the 85's.
Topsites, I know what you mean by half throttle. The only problem is that our 110's throttle has very little play. It's hard to find the middle ground, more often you're at idle or wide open throttle. My guys have even more of a hard time than I do. We never run the 85's wide open during normal trimming.

ProMo
10-11-2008, 10:14 AM
mine seem to use more fuel since they started putting ethanol in it.

mouse
10-11-2008, 10:38 AM
My 110 is in the garage most of the time, fuel usage and weight.

ed2hess
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM
I was kinda considering moving away from Echo due to the excessive weight of the two new models 265 etc. I thought the 110 had a good weight but this is discouraging. The 90 would be okay but not much power from what I hear. I assume the 110 is a valve machine and guess the 90 is straight two stroke.

ericmcj31
10-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I was kinda considering moving away from Echo due to the excessive weight of the two new models 265 etc. I thought the 110 had a good weight but this is discouraging. The 90 would be okay but not much power from what I hear. I assume the 110 is a valve machine and guess the 90 is straight two stroke.

Don't listen to this CRAP!! I have a 100 and a 110!! BOTH are GREAT as far as power, weight, and consumption! I mean the tank is a little bigger, but I will pay a little more for the extra power that's there. When I first started, I ran the FS 80's; I loved them----then, b/c my dealer was out of the 80's I decided to buy a 110 instead--I haven't and never will back down from them. When these wear out, I'm gonna buy more-that's the bottom line-love the power and fuel economy that they provide. But when comparing a smaller motor of an 85 to a bigger motor of a 100, I mean-it's like buying a Tahoe and saying -"it doesn't get near the mileage of my camry" I mean you're comparing two different things. If it used more than your old 100 then that'd be a different issue--!