PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever fed clippings to cattle?

Royalslover
10-08-2008, 10:56 PM
I've found a guy who wants my clippings to feed his cows. His vet said it would be fine. I'm not sure. My lawns are heavily maintained and I'm worried about herbicide and insecticide. Any thoughts?

KS_Grasscutter
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I've found a guy who wants my clippings to feed his cows. His vet said it would be fine. I'm not sure. My lawns are heavily maintained and I'm worried about herbicide and insecticide. Any thoughts?

And you don't think people aren't constantly spraying herbicide and insecticide on alfalfa?

Lots of guys feed grass clippings to cattle here, they like it, the farmers like it (free feed), and the LCOs like it (free place to dump).

corey4671
10-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I feed mine to my goats!

desert rose gardening
10-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I have feed grass clipping to my horses and cows for years, saves on the feed bill. My horses love fruitless mulberry leaves in the fall so much I don't have to rake them!

meets1
10-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I used to but to much trash was getting into the feed. Things I talk about are the cig butts that i suck up, odd-end wrappers ect that get sucked up. When were mowing I don't drive around for the nice yards to accomadate the cattle man with lush green grass. i am where I am for the grass that is on the trailer.

Now I take it out to a hog farmer who has 24,000 head of piggys and he uses the grass to composite his own dead loss. I'll tell this - grass is hot and breaks down the dead carcuse fast.

Scagguy
10-09-2008, 12:29 AM
Never heard of a cow that OD'd on clippings. But, there's a first time for everything i guess.

MOHUSTLER
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Ive allways heard people say there are certin types of fescue that are harmful to cattle. Not sure if its true or not.

mowerbrad
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM
When I mow my uncle and aunt's lawn on occasion I will give their horses some grass. The horses love it too, when I am mowing around the fences the horses are all running right next to me.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Ive allways heard people say there are certin types of fescue that are harmful to cattle. Not sure if its true or not.

Older strains of tall fescue create a toxin upon freezing/frosting - that is painful and even fatal to cattle.

green_mark
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
As a former cattle farmer NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

Many turf grasses have been enhanced or naturally contain Endophytes.

Read below
Toxicity to livestock
It has been known since the late 1940's/early 1950's that the Kentucky 31 tall fescue variety is highly toxic to cattle and horses, and to a lesser extent to sheep.[E5, E14, E25]. Tall fescues were introduced to North America from Europe, probably in the late 1800s. The Kentucky 31 variety was obtained from a vigorous tall fescue stand on a Kentucky farm in 1931 and widely planted as a forage and for erosion control before its deleterious properties were recognized. It wasn't until 1977 that endophytic fungi were identified as the agent responsible for the toxicity. At about the same time, a similar type of livestock toxicity caused by perennial ryegrass in some pastures was likewise shown to be due to endophytic fungi. The logical solution was to establish forages using endophyte-free (E-) seed. To the surprise of researchers, in side by side trials these E- types, although not toxic to livestock, proved to have reduced vigor and resistance to pests compared to the endophytic E+ types. That discovery in turn led to elucidation in the 1980s (and continuing) of the many beneficial properties associated with the endophytes in grassses. [E22]

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=meets1;2547871]I used to but to much trash was getting into the feed. Things I talk about are the cig butts that i suck up, odd-end wrappers ect that get sucked up. When were mowing I don't drive around for the nice yards to accomadate the cattle man with lush green grass. i am where I am for the grass that is on the trailer.

Now I take it out to a hog farmer who has 24,000 head of piggys and he uses the grass to composite his own dead loss. I'll tell this - grass is hot and breaks down the dead carcuse fast.[/QUOT

Bet that smeels nice.........glad hes not my neighbor

MOHUSTLER
10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
As a former cattle farmer NOT ON YOUR LIFE!

Many turf grasses have been enhanced or naturally contain Endophytes.

Read below
Toxicity to livestock
It has been known since the late 1940's/early 1950's that the Kentucky 31 tall fescue variety is highly toxic to cattle and horses, and to a lesser extent to sheep.[E5, E14, E25]. Tall fescues were introduced to North America from Europe, probably in the late 1800s. The Kentucky 31 variety was obtained from a vigorous tall fescue stand on a Kentucky farm in 1931 and widely planted as a forage and for erosion control before its deleterious properties were recognized. It wasn't until 1977 that endophytic fungi were identified as the agent responsible for the toxicity. At about the same time, a similar type of livestock toxicity caused by perennial ryegrass in some pastures was likewise shown to be due to endophytic fungi. The logical solution was to establish forages using endophyte-free (E-) seed. To the surprise of researchers, in side by side trials these E- types, although not toxic to livestock, proved to have reduced vigor and resistance to pests compared to the endophytic E+ types. That discovery in turn led to elucidation in the 1980s (and continuing) of the many beneficial properties associated with the endophytes in grassses. [E22]

This man knows his stuff

RussWard
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Do an engine search for "endophytes" and "endophytes and horses" . Fescue infected with endophytes can cause the mares to abort in the 3rd trimester. I remember about 10 yrs ago some seed houses were innoculating some ornamental grass blends with endophytes.

jkilov
10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
You should'nt serve hot grass to livestock anyway.

They prefer white clover and fresh. Anyone have clover as their lawn, guess not.