PDA

View Full Version : Is It Still Possible to Save This Lawn?

VialOfDreams
10-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I am inquiring about severe issues with the lawn in front of my boyfriend's house. He and his roommates are renting a beautiful home in Shadowglen, but there's a major problem: the lawn is extremely yellow, even brown in some areas. The lawn was in a pretty bad shape in May when they moved in, the top was green, but it seemed that the parts closer to the soil were dry. There are also major cracks in the ground, a few inches deep, most likely from when the lawn was added.It didn't seem like there was much maintenance performed on it beforehand. We tried watering it, but they don't have a built-in sprinkler system, which I assume would have helped greatly.Right now, the only green patches we see are by the house in shade. Everything else looks dead.

I should probably add that the yard receives direct sunlight almost the entire day. The neighboring houses are too far away to prove any shade. There are two small trees, one of them was dead when the guys moved in. It seems that the soil isn't ideal either, as the house was built by a swamp and it's always dry and clay-like.

We really need assistance. The Home Owner's Association have expressed their concerns many times, and we don't know what to do. We would like to know if there's any way to save the lawn. I don't know what type of grass it is, unfortunately.

Thank you for you time :)

Smallaxe
10-09-2008, 05:49 AM
You can either take the time to water it or leave it the way it is. There is no substitute for water.

VialOfDreams
10-09-2008, 05:55 AM
You can either take the time to water it or leave it the way it is. There is no substitute for water.

So you are saying that the grass is not dead and it can be saved by watering it? I am just wondering if I can save it or if we will have to reseed all over again.

Smallaxe
10-09-2008, 06:18 AM
There is no way for me to know. It is possible , in that many grasses simply go dormant during the heat of summer and come back to life as the fall rains return. I am from the north and we rely on fescues to deal with Wisco droughts.

From what I read of your initial post, is that if you want anything to grow you will have to commit to watering it. If it were me I would set the sprinklers out where it was most important and throw out some more seed. Keep one area wet so the seed germinates then you know if the old lawn is still alive, if it greens up again as well.

VialOfDreams
10-09-2008, 06:47 AM
There is no way for me to know. It is possible , in that many grasses simply go dormant during the heat of summer and come back to life as the fall rains return. I am from the north and we rely on fescues to deal with Wisco droughts.

From what I read of your initial post, is that if you want anything to grow you will have to commit to watering it. If it were me I would set the sprinklers out where it was most important and throw out some more seed. Keep one area wet so the seed germinates then you know if the old lawn is still alive, if it greens up again as well.

Will try that. Thank you for your replies!

evergreenedmond
10-09-2008, 01:03 PM
If you are in Austin & your lawn is in full sun you either have St. Augustine or bermuda grass these are both southern grasses. I wouldn't recommend seeding it, you need to put a slow release fertilizer on it & WATER it on a regular basis. You need to water it deeply (at least 30 minutes per area) not just putting a little water on it by hand. And the most important thing is always remember that UT sucks & will lose on saturday

Smallaxe
10-10-2008, 08:14 AM
If you are in Austin & your lawn is in full sun you either have St. Augustine or bermuda grass these are both southern grasses. I wouldn't recommend seeding it, you need to put a slow release fertilizer on it & WATER it on a regular basis. You need to water it deeply (at least 30 minutes per area) not just putting a little water on it by hand. And the most important thing is always remember that UT sucks & will lose on saturday

So when do sourtherners overseed? Fetilizer is the last thing a dehydrated plant needs, Why is SA or bermuda different? How much water comes out in 30 minutes and how much is going to soak in?

tamadrummer
10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
So when do sourtherners overseed? Fetilizer is the last thing a dehydrated plant needs, Why is SA or bermuda different? How much water comes out in 30 minutes and how much is going to soak in?

There is no seed for Saint Augustine and down here where I am we don't use Bermuda. It grows wild and takes over lawns but no one uses it for their full lawn area.

If your lawn is St. Aug and still has life in the stolons than water the snot out of it and once it starts to green up, go to lesco and get some 8-0-16 75% slow release with a full micro-nutrient package and put it down at the minimum and then do it again in about 8 weeks. (do not under any circumstance use a weed/feed!!!! This lawn is too stressed from the sounds of it to handle that and you don't know what grass you have. It could kill the lawn if the wrong one is used)

You may also want to put down some form of bug killer if it looks like you have patches of totally dead grass.

If you could post some pics of the lawn, (close ups and distance) we could be of more use to you.

Smallaxe
10-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Interesting. We have a version of Bluegrass that grows wild up here too but everyone goes with the hybrid seed.
So there is a good chance that it just went into dormancy as opposed to outright dying- IF - it is St. Augustine.