PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good idea?

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I was planning on buying a Box truck but still havent found one.

I have a old 1988 Chevrolet extra cab truck. The front seat is a split bench.
So my idea is to take out all the seats except the drivers. Then I could store my trimmer and blower etc inside the cab. I have a tool bos that I can lock in the bed. The only thing that would be in the bed is the mowers which I could make covers for so I could cover them at night.

What do you fellers think?

tinman
10-09-2008, 08:03 AM
are the mowers 21 in push mowers ?

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 08:07 AM
are the mowers 21 in push mowers ?

I have a 21" Snapper and a 36" Ferris both will fit at the same time

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Bump.......

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Mabey I should have posgted Im looking at a 65000 nwew landscape truck what do you fellers think

I.M. Green
10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
here are my thoughts, I hope you don't ever need assistance with a job since you won't have anywhere for someone to sit. I also would hate to get in that truck after it has been sitting in the sun with that gas powered smell in it. I say invest 400 bucks in a small trailer...

Richard Martin
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I have to ask a question....

What are you using now? Why the sudden need for a $65K truck?

MJS
10-09-2008, 02:57 PM
here are my thoughts, I hope you don't ever need assistance with a job since you won't have anywhere for someone to sit. I also would hate to get in that truck after it has been sitting in the sun with that gas powered smell in it. I say invest 400 bucks in a small trailer...

Ditto - on the surface, it may sound like a good idea, but you don't want to limit yourself because you did something crazy like that with your truck.

larryinalabama
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok Ill contuine the searchfor a box truck, the 65k truck was a joke.
Im hoping to find a gooe box truck for under 10k.

Richard Martin
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM

That may be but why do you feel as though you need a box truck? Have you looked at the costs associated with a purchase like this? Things like insurance, fuel and maintenace?

Sweet Tater
10-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Check the UHaul website, they sell their old ones. I have heard good and ad stories about them, but its an idea. Not a bad one especially if you kow how to work on engines and stuff yourself.

NINER
10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
what about a van you could seperate the inside like the ac guys do or maybe an ac co is selling some. i had a buddy that did this years back. box trucks are the way to go we have 4 so far and it saves in the long run on tires, extra insurance,inspections,wireing harnesses going bad on trilers and you can get in and out of those tight spots in drive way and such easier.

larryinalabama
10-10-2008, 08:30 AM
That may be but why do you feel as though you need a box truck? Have you looked at the costs associated with a purchase like this? Things like insurance, fuel and maintenace?

I could have bought a 2004 Chevy 14' box for 9k, I think I blew that one by not getting it.

Ive already checked on the insurance and its eaisly doable, I can do my own maintance althought tires for the trucks can be pricey. For fue Im figuring they would get around 10 mpg but Im not sure.

larryinalabama
10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Check the UHaul website, they sell their old ones. I have heard good and ad stories about them, but its an idea. Not a bad one especially if you kow how to work on engines and stuff yourself.

I see alot of the late model Penskees for under 10k, some of those uhauls are slap worn out but sometimes there around 4k.

larryinalabama
10-10-2008, 08:41 AM
what about a van you could seperate the inside like the ac guys do or maybe an ac co is selling some. i had a buddy that did this years back. box trucks are the way to go we have 4 so far and it saves in the long run on tires, extra insurance,inspections,wireing harnesses going bad on trilers and you can get in and out of those tight spots in drive way and such easier.

When I had my business in So California I had all my stuff stolen out of my pickup, so I bought a cargo van and it worked out great. But all we used was 21" mowers. With a box truck I can hold 2 mowers my areator etc and dont have to worry about unloading them when I get home.

bakerc8
10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
go to uhal