PDA

View Full Version : PSA...My shoulder experience

DLAWNS
10-09-2008, 08:13 AM
I figured I would share a personal experience. I usually in the interest of time fill the big green barrels to the max with wet grass, leaves, or whatever and throw them in the back of the truck. Well it finally caught up to me because a few weeks ago I was lifting some grass and I got a sharp pain and dropped the barrel.
I was in pain for a couple weeks and decided to go to an orthopedic doctor. After X-rays and MRI's it was determined that I tore cartilage in my shoulder. Luckily it is not a rotator cuff injury because that's a ridiculous recovery time. I will be getting surgery in January (my biggest down time). Recovery is 2-3 months. I'm going to have to man up for the next 2 1/2 months during leaf season and deal with the pain. Luckily I have a great worker who is really helpful and just hired another helper for the fall (and next year) to pick up the slack.
I'm not looking for sympathy, just trying to tell you guys what happened to me so maybe other guys won't load the barrel to max capacity and hurt themselves. Hope I didn't bore anybody with the long post. Thanks for listening.

Richard Martin
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I stopped trying to be a 'He Man" a long time ago. There is no point in tearing your body up.

Sweet Tater
10-09-2008, 07:18 PM
hire the youngin's for the hard work. they don't break as easy as us antiques.

jpp
10-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your should. Like you said could have been much worse.

I just purchased a leaf loader for some of the same concern and I hate bagging leaves with those paper bags.My back hurts as it is already.This is going to be so much easier this year. Finishing up the leaf box on Friday I hope. Time to find a good chiropractor as well for me.

JP

david shumaker
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I try not to overdo it. It only takes a slight twist in the wrong direction lifting, etc to mess something up. Even a sprained ankle can put you out of business for awhile. My roomate has been out of work for several months because she messed her knee up at work and had to have an operation.

mississippiturf
10-09-2008, 07:42 PM
You're right, rotator cuff surgery sucks. Had it done in 1998. Good luck with your surgery.

mngrassguy
10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Ouch, I've been there. You find out who your friends are. It's amazing how much your better customers will understand and work with you until you get better. Hope you don't have to shovel snow.

DLAWNS
10-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I actually just purchased a truck loader to help with this. If snow comes I will have my guys handle the hard work while I drive the truck. Thanks for all of the support guys, it really means a lot.

Whitey4
10-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Had a major rotator cuff procedure done. They told me 6 months... busted my behind in rehab, was 100% in 3.5 months. Strength took more time, but use and range of motion was there 2 1/2 months before the prognosis forecast.

Doctors are very cautious these days with he threat of malpractice suits. They are very conservative with the prognonis these days.

DLAWNS
10-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Had a major rotator cuff procedure done. They told me 6 months... busted my behind in rehab, was 100% in 3.5 months. Strength took more time, but use and range of motion was there 2 1/2 months before the prognosis forecast.

Doctors are very cautious these days with he threat of malpractice suits. They are very conservative with the prognonis these days.

That's awesome that you recovered so quickly. My surgery should be very minor compared to rotator cuff surgery. But like you said I plan on working very hard to rehab to make sure I'm back to work quickly. Thanks for the response.