PDA

View Full Version : Maintanence of a Subdivision

miltthemower
10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
I have the opportunity to do an entire subdivision. Basically the Green space, entrances and houses that have not been maintained or are vacant.

My question is, how do I go about charging for this.

Do I charge per acre of green space?
Do I charge a relatively low fee to do several houses?
Also, do I purchase the mulch, flower etc. then bill the client for the mulch, flower etc.
I do not have the equipment to handle such a job. If I get the contract, should I sell it to another LCO?
Or should I work with another LCO doing the work?

By the way I have been working hard for a situation to come like this too me for about three years.

I have a meeting with the HOA board on Sunday 10/12/08. So any info would be valuable.

Thanx...

Green Pastures
10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Why are you even considering bidding something you neither have the equipment necessary to do the work with of have the basic knowlege to bid?

No offence but this is a ridiculous series of questions.

Stick to what you can handle.

fool32696
10-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Don't get in over your head. Without knowing costs, equipment, and employees there's no possible way that you could even get close on this bid. Stick to residentials for a few yrs to learn the ropes.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I would have to agree with Fool. You have no idea what kind of overhead is involved to have a company to perform this type of contract. You can bid it, but when you try to sub it out you may find you will be upside down on the contract. You may also find that the larger companies can do it way less than you because of economies of scale. Stay away and work your way up to these types of properties. There is nothing wrong with doing residentials and small commercials for the first couple of years to get a good grip hold on your cost, effeciencies and ineffeciencies. One contract like this that is under bid can sink your ship.

miltthemower
10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the insight.

bohiaa
10-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Well????????????

what did you do ?

dont keep us hanging like this............

miltthemower
10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I am pursuing my dreams. You can not have everything in place all the time to take a chance at something.

Precision Maintenance
10-24-2008, 04:45 PM
There is a difference in persuing your dream and making a fool of yourself. You need to be confident but at the same time realistic. Depending on how big the account is you need to first know if you have enough equipment... enough so that you dont have to go buy a bunch of it and be in the hole and struggle the whole time making sure you get everything paid for. Another thing is man power. Of course it doesnt take much to cut grass, but having reliable guys that are going to work hard can take trial and error. Not being sure of this can make you look VERY bad at the start.

If you are still considering it, make sure that you dont come in at the lowest price. The lowest price isnt always the best.

OsbornLawnMaintenance
10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If I were you I'd come up with a bid and then go about 30% over it. If you get the bid then your chances of being over your head are alot less. If you lose the bid then nothing is really lost. Anything can be acomplished with enough money.

SDNCLAWNCARE
10-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Go For It! Read Alot, ask plenty of questions.... Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way.

Big C
10-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Go For It! Read Alot, ask plenty of questions.... Sometimes learning the hard way is the best way.

WTF....;):dizzy:

ericmcj31
10-26-2008, 01:51 PM

??? Or sometimes it's the best way to go under and get a bad name for yourself out there! It appears this guy would be in WAY over his head-he said he has no equip. for this type of job, no idea how to bid it, etc.etc.! Why in the world should he "go for it?"

Dynamic
10-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I am believer you should go for it as well. If you don't the next will and you will always will be wondering if you should have or could have. I speak from expierence as I tender on a bunch of commericial with out even owning a lawn mower and I was awarded the tenders. I have made more money than I ever thought was possible.
The biggest thing to this lawnsite is you never get positive/encouraging feed back for any questions you have. If you are thinking of a exmark everyone tells you there the worst and by a walker, if you are thinking of running yellow pages everyone tells you yo run fliers. This website has gone from good feedback to arrogant people who can't offer good advice but only shoot you down.
Do the proper site inspections, take pictures and write notes, ask lots of questions and forecast both best and worst case scenerios. Ask lots of questions and take notes or record there answers. Finally price the project to make money and not just to get the job. Good luck.

miltthemower
10-27-2008, 10:53 AM
The subdivision is not large. If it were huge I would pass. I have reliable people on stand with the equipment needed to get the job done. I have gone over my numbers several times. I will still make a profit after paying for labor, gas and other misc.

lawnproslawncare
11-13-2008, 09:14 PM
bid high. You don't want to sell yourself short lol

miltthemower
11-14-2008, 09:50 AM
I actually came within $200.00 of their budget for the year. I am awaiting an answer from them this week. I got alot of grief on this site. People were saying if I did not know how to bid leave it alone, leave it to the professionals, etc, etc.

I also, have noticed that some members forget that at one time they started from nothing. It frustrates me when I hear members talk about others who are just starting out. Especially comments on others equipment. Why do that? We all have to crawl before we can walk. So if someone has Home Depot, or Lowes equipment. That is the place where they are today. Who knows where they will be two years from now.

We need to encourage the next man/woman to do the best with what they have instead of knocking their efforts.

1wezil
11-14-2008, 10:30 AM
A-men !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!