PDA

View Full Version : how do you prevent 2stroke flooding

causalitist
10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
what causes flooding in 2strokes, and how do you guys prevent it? its eating up hours of payrol for me....

All_Toro_4ME
10-09-2008, 03:57 PM
usually, at least in my experience, most engines, 2 cycle or 4, will flood if the choke is left on, theres a bad spark not igniting fuel along with many other reasons. I've found that choking is probably most common to flood the engine.

fool32696
10-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I have rarely ever had a flooding problem. I see lots of inexperienced guys idling 2 strokes a lot. If you're not running it hard, shut it down. I also never shut down at idle speed as it loads the motor up on fuel.

LushGreenLawn
10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I've never flooded a 2 stroke to the point that 1 or 2 pulls of the rope wouldn't clear it up. I've even done the ol' pull the rope 10 times trying to figure out why it won't start when the kill switch is off, with the choke on, and still cleared out the carb after 2 pulls of the rope and it fired right up!

Richard Martin
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Proper training usually prevents flooding. If it doesn't work the first time you need to retrain them. No I'm not kidding.

topsites
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh yeah I got tired of that *&$^% lol

So Here's my standard starting procedure, ALL outdoor engines:

When I say pull I mean only one time!

1. Choke ON, WOT, PULL!
2. Choke OFF, WOT, PULL!
3. Choke OFF, Idle, PULL!
Repeat until that beast starts.

The secret behind the stupid process is steps 2 and 3 allow the engine to rid itself of any excess fuel.

And it might take a little longer by having to deal with all the settings every single pull,
but sooner or later they all start, unless something is wrong with them,
some start first pull, some by the third, whatever but they never ever flood.

Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold or in between, that there is the stupid
you don't gotta remember nothing else one-size-fits all engine start process for me.

One exception is there are a few engines that aren't designed to be started on Wot, like my aerator.
If that is the case, Choke ON + Pull, then Choke OFF + Pull, repeat.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
iv never had one flood that i was operating and iv had stihl dealers tell me that husquvarna are always flooding when i used mine every day (never had a problem)

dura to the max
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Oh yeah I got tired of that *&$^% lol

So Here's my standard starting procedure, ALL outdoor engines:

When I say pull I mean only one time!

1. Choke ON, WOT, PULL!
2. Choke OFF, WOT, PULL!
3. Choke OFF, Idle, PULL!
Repeat until that beast starts.

The secret behind the stupid process is steps 2 and 3 allow the engine to rid itself of any excess fuel.

And it might take a little longer by having to deal with all the settings every single pull,
but sooner or later they all start, unless something is wrong with them,
some start first pull, some by the third, whatever but they never ever flood.

Doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold or in between, that there is the stupid
you don't gotta remember nothing else one-size-fits all engine start process for me.

One exception is there are a few engines that aren't designed to be started on Wot, like my aerator.
If that is the case, Choke ON + Pull, then Choke OFF + Pull, repeat.

what does WOT stand for? i assume wide open throttle...

Genlandscape
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Make sure that machines are upright when stored, this will prevent backflow of fuel that can fill airboxes and flood carbs. This happens with my echoes, if they are lopsided i the racks, they tend to flood.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Just carry some matches with you. When you flood it, take off the air filter, open the choke and stick a lit match in the chamber. Cleans it right out. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tharrell
10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
The only one I ever have to flood is an older Robin without a choke. It's got a primer and a stupid little window that let's you see if there's fuel in there. Most of the time, I push the primer 2 times and it fires right up. If you push the primer more than that, the plug will be soaking wet and will not fire. Tony