PDA

View Full Version : My blower blew up :(

Sweet Tater
10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Well I was wondering when my cub cadet blower would die. It finaly did, so now I am the proud owner of a brand new stihl br600. I knew some one will ask, it was $479 and I'll post pics tomorrow. I still get a laugh about the pics tho, cause they all look the same. But what ever.
I bout the br600 today and used it on my last lawn for the day, that thing is a beast. It weighs a ton, but holy moly at the power, on full throttle I can feel it torqing on my back in the shock absorbers. Can't wait for the leaves to fall so I can see how well it works on big piles.
BTW it was because of the raves about the BR600 I read on LS is why I got it. and I am happy I did.

IN2MOWN
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I have had my BR 400 now for 6 years. Same filter and spark plug and it starts on the 2nd pull. I love it and will ALWAYS use Sthil backpack blowers.

mississippiturf
10-09-2008, 08:59 PM
When my shindy wears out, I'll be doing the same thing.

schunklawn
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
i run the br600 also...unreal machine. i love all stihl products. nice choice on your new bp blower.

topsites
10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Now you know what all the hooplah was all about :p

Icepuck72
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Best blower out there, IMHO. Good choice.

STIHL GUY
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
good choice i know you will enjoy it

K/B
10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
When my shindy wears out, I'll be doing the same thing.

Get another Shindy...but this time an EB802:cool2:

Nickcon404
10-09-2008, 11:28 PM
The 600 is a beast but also a fuel hog!

sweetz
10-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Good choice. You'll learn that on average you only need to throttle it about 1/2 way to clean driveways and such. I LOVE mine!

DuallyVette
10-10-2008, 12:18 AM
RedMax 8001...you could have had a V8 !

ed2hess
10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Best blower out there, IMHO. Good choice.

Not sure about that....if I was a camera guy I would take a picture of
14 BR600 units sitting at the local dealer waiting for repair. The first four had a valve stuck in the piston. Have they got that problem fixed yet? And all these units looked clean on the outside so not heavy use.

Dr. Godfrey
10-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Make sure you use their super special oil, at a super high price or you will have problems.:cry:

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 02:17 PM
i love my stihl i have the same one i think and its a beast

sweetz
10-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I use amsoil @ 100:1. I also used their oil at first, but my blower now runs better than ever and it starts on the first pull most of the time (it always took more pulls when I was using their oil & it seemed to bog down).

Dr. Godfrey
10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Great oil,You have used this from the get go in your stihl blower, or have you just gone back to it.:cry:

Icepuck72
10-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Not sure about that....if I was a camera guy I would take a picture of
14 BR600 units sitting at the local dealer waiting for repair. The first four had a valve stuck in the piston. Have they got that problem fixed yet? And all these units looked clean on the outside so not heavy use.

Not mine. You must have bad luck. I love it.

sweetz
10-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Great oil,You have used this from the get go in your stihl blower, or have you just gone back to it.:cry:

I was using the Stihl branded oil at first, then I gave Amsoil a try at 80:1 and the blower ran a little better. I then gave it a shot at 100:1 and LOVED how the blower ran!!! So now I'm using Amsoil in everything! ALL of my 4 cycles get Amsoil @ 100:1. They ALL run so much better!!! I'm not by any means trying to advertise Amsoil, I'm just telling you that I LOVE the stuff!!! The 4 cycle stuff that I do this with is mainly Stihl & Echo.

S man
10-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I thought the br600 blew up. Anyway good luck with it.

sweetz
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
I thought the br600 blew up. Anyway good luck with it.

blew up. What????

S man
10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
blew up. What????

You know, all the valve trouble and stuff.

sweetz
10-11-2008, 09:42 PM
You know, all the valve trouble and stuff.

The first ones in production had problems from what I understand.

karlgrooms
10-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Make sure you use their super special oil, at a super high price or you will have problems.:cry:

Got a question what about using Husqvarna XP it in the br600. It is the Husky version of the Stihl ultra oil... I've got access to a very large quantity and would like to use it, but I don't want to tear up my blower. What do you guys think.

wimpy
10-12-2008, 02:04 AM
There's a lot of misinformation here. Husqvarna XP is a synthetic blend dino oil, Stihl Hp Ultra is a fully synthetic oil. Many OEM's use synthetic blends, doesn't make it good. In fact, many of them are low quality, but I imagine Husqvarna XP is good dino oil.

KOLawn, you didn't specify which Stihl oil you were using. They have 4 or 3 different oils now. If you run their Hp Ultra at 50:1, it performs better than amsoil. Either way, running the amsoil is good.

sweetz
10-12-2008, 02:18 AM
I was using their HP Ultra & for me, I preferred the Amsoil. Like I'm saying - FOR ME & MY USE & MY SITUATIONS.

Lazer_Z
10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I thought the br600 blew up. Anyway good luck with it.Scott, Re read the post. Tater said his old CUB CADET blower bit the big one and it was replaced with a Stihl BR600.

To those who doubt the BR600, my first generation BR600 is doing just fine thank you, no valve problems or anything.

sweetz
10-12-2008, 03:17 PM
To those who doubt the BR600, my first generation BR600 is doing just fine thank you, no valve problems or anything.

They're awesome blowers, I just knew that SOME of the first gen blowers had problems, not all of them. I LOVE mine & that's what I was saying, it's a kick a** blower in my opinion!!!

Lazer_Z
10-12-2008, 05:28 PM
They're awesome blowers, I just knew that SOME of the first gen blowers had problems, not all of them. I LOVE mine & that's what I was saying, it's a kick a** blower in my opinion!!!ko, No worries I knew what you meant, I read all the horror stories about the BR600 when it first came out and I still bought one. I'd buy another BR600 in a heart beat. I may or may not upgrade to a new one in the spring.

ed2hess
10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
ko, No worries I knew what you meant, I read all the horror stories about the BR600 when it first came out and I still bought one. I'd buy another BR600 in a heart beat. I may or may not upgrade to a new one in the spring.

This is not a story one of the big companies in Austin had 14 units that failed and they all look new to me. They are sitting at the local dealer. The failure is valves in the top of the pistons. But keep on recommending to people on lawnsite to buy them:hammerhead: On the other hand the BR420 may be just about the best all around unit we have used.

Lazer_Z
10-12-2008, 07:42 PM
This is not a story one of the big companies in Austin had 14 units that failed and they all look new to me. They are sitting at the local dealer. The failure is valves in the top of the pistons. But keep on recommending to people on lawnsite to buy them:hammerhead: On the other hand the BR420 may be just about the best all around unit we have used. Dude, What the h*ll do you have against me recommending the Stihl BR600 when my FIRST GENERATION BR600 has been trouble free. So your dealer or whoever has 14 sitting, what did the company do to have the "normal" failure happen? Do you know what oil to fuel mix was used do you know the whole story or are you just going to be another yungman, following me around and busting my stones because I've not had a single problem with my 600? Why don't you grow up ed, seriously.

J&A Lawn Care
10-12-2008, 10:53 PM
my local dealer talked me out of a 550 and 600.He said they had a pile of them in the shop blowed up.I was dead set on one but when he carried me in the shop and there mechanic told me about how many they get in a week that are messed up I decided on the EBZ7100 Redmax

S man
10-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Scott, Re read the post. Tater said his old CUB CADET blower bit the big one and it was replaced with a Stihl BR600.

I have read the post, I was just making a joke because the older br600s have been known to have problems with the valves. I know his cub blew up not the br600.

S man
10-13-2008, 12:28 AM
my local dealer talked me out of a 550 and 600.He said they had a pile of them in the shop blowed up.I was dead set on one but when he carried me in the shop and there mechanic told me about how many they get in a week that are messed up I decided on the EBZ7100 Redmax

Good choice:weightlifter:

Sweet Tater
10-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I've been reaing in the back ground, ya'll play nice now.
So far I love my br600. I know that If I have problems my dealer will either fix it or refund my money. We have a VERY good dealer for lawn equipment here.
It wasn't just one person on here recommending the br600 it was all the post together after oing a search of blowers on here. Everyone has their own opinion on which one is best, But I do believe I got a good blower that will help me with what I need to do. Thanks guys for posting your opinions through out time. searching this site to help make a choice of equipment helps alot and its everyones post that helps, both the pros and the cons. More newbies need to learn to search before that ask "which ..... should I buy.
The information available on this site is priceless.

sweetz
10-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Ya more newbies to this site do NEED to use the search feature more, but the search faeture on this site could definitely use some work. You can enter something like ECHO & you'll get results, but nothing about ECHO.

Lazer_Z
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I've been reaing in the back ground, ya'll play nice now.
So far I love my br600. I know that If I have problems my dealer will either fix it or refund my money. We have a VERY good dealer for lawn equipment here.
It wasn't just one person on here recommending the br600 it was all the post together after oing a search of blowers on here. Everyone has their own opinion on which one is best, But I do believe I got a good blower that will help me with what I need to do. Thanks guys for posting your opinions through out time. searching this site to help make a choice of equipment helps alot and its everyones post that helps, both the pros and the cons. More newbies need to learn to search before that ask "which ..... should I buy.
The information available on this site is priceless. Sorry bout the side track Tater, enjoy your new blower!

MnDLawn
10-13-2008, 10:11 PM
BR600 = Best blower ever made.

ojpent
10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Tater, lets see those pics of the blown cub blower!!!