PDA

View Full Version : Estimate help - Plant two large trees?

OKSooner
10-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Comments, please?

I have a guy who wants me to help him plant two large trees next month.

One's a red maple, the other's an oak. Don't know what kind of oak. Both B&B, 4" caliper and weighing in at about 700 pounds.

I'm a solo operation, but I figure I can do it for him by doing it this way:

Rent a bobcat with interchangeable auger and bucket/fork attachments. Hire a local labor crew that I've worked with before for about 4 hours. Auger out three holes right next to each other for each tree to break up the soil and then have the labor dudes dig a proper hole at each of the two places I've hit with the auger.

While they're digging, I change out the auger to the bucket/fork. They help me get each tree on the forks, and then I gently place each tree in its hole. Cut back the burlap, backfill, fertilize and mulch.

I'm thinking about $450 plus the cost of the labor crew, which should come in at about $200 to $260. IOW, about $650 to $700 total.

How does this sound for a job like this? High, low, or right on? (In other words, should I take the job or try to send him to someone who can do it cheeper?)

TIA

BrandonV
10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
3 trees that size should take no longer than a 1.5 hours for 2 men and an auger to plant. stake (if needed and clean up)

Superior L & L
10-10-2008, 06:57 AM
Start to finish four hours is probably good. I would probably add some cushion ! what happens if you hit rock when your digging?

barefootlawnsandlandscape
10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Does that include the trees in that price? $100/inch tree and installation, at the least, depending on access.

Lawnworks
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Why not use a 36" auger and drill the holes? If you need them wider... just do it w/ a shovel. Remember stakes and tie... you will probably need them. You should just need one other guy... if you are handy w/ a skid steer you could probably do it by yourself

frumdig
10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
yould be surprised what 4 guys can do with a ball cart and some shovels.... plus less damage... i cant recall if some of our bigger cherrys and maples were 4"... but weve done 3-3.5 with a ball cart numerous times.... and some big hollies and cryptomerias that had to be at least 48"+ rootballs... and they arent always in the easiest of location to get to... but i guess if the area is wideopen, a bobcat will save ya some time. but the average properties we install, a bobcat is just out of the question, and we can do it just as quick with good old fashioned labor.... i think your biggest time factor is, do you have to pick up the trees? or will they be delivered? and if not, can your trailer carry a bobcat and 3 trees?

-Evan