PDA

View Full Version : overseeding

JTS Landscaping lawn
10-09-2008, 11:24 PM
i havent really done overseeding wondering if you aerate the yard can you just broadcast the seed out or should you use the split seeder. or just use the split seeder instead of aerating and doing it the other way.

Runner
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Just broadcasting it out is a complete waste - unless of course you are doing it to feed the birds... in which case it is a nice gesture. A slit seeder is the ultimate way to go for the most efficient use of seed and the best distribution.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I did a slit seeding (in existing turf) on my own yard the last week of Sept. I am now seeing emergence of most likely the rye grass - the slit seeder seems to have done a pretty good job of getting the seed down to the dirt as opposed to leaving it on top of the thatch to rot, wash away, etc.

If you are planning to slit seed now, might want to think twice. Hard freeze where you are at may not be too far off.....

Smallaxe
10-10-2008, 08:34 AM
If your seed lands on thatch to rot or wash away, the question is, Do you need a new plant in that spot?

When I overseed it is to fill in bare spots. seed goes on dirt and is covered with compost to aid in germination and growth.

It is best to avoid the one size fits all mentality. I can do an overseeding by hand with a little seed and a little compost in less time it takes to load and unload a slitseeder, for most of my lawns.

50% grass or less would qualify for use of a slit seeder, and there you would not even consider using a plugger. So you are basically compareing apples to oranges in deciding which way to go.

No one can give you advice on what is needed for the lawn without knowing how thick it is to begin with. Another thing that would be nice is, having a standard definition of 'thatch'.

csmlawn
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I've never used a slit seeder. Just aerated and broadcast overseeded w/some leafgrow (compost)...works fine. I've seen and heard good things about slit seeding, but I never got on the boat for my lawn.

lawnjocky
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
As said in an earlier post it will depend on the lawn. Broadcast seeding has a low germination rate but the labor and equipment cost's are very cheap. Slit seeding is just the opposite. If the lawn is fairly decent core aeration may be all you need to stimulate growth. I am not in the aerate then broadcast seed camp. If there is standing turf I slit seed. Bare patches and some new installs I broadcast. No matter how you do it, 5% of a seeding job depends on you, 45% the weather and the other 50% on what the customer does after you leave.

Whitey4
10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I for one believe in aeration and over seeding.

Yes, it requires at least two passes, but.... grass in nature grows high, and reseeds itself. Because we cut grass, it never is allowed to generate new plants (via seeds). Grass, like any plant, will eventually get "old" and fail. New plants need to be added.... and aeration on an annual basis with overseeding allows that. Sure, you are lucky if you get 10% germination with three passes with an aerator, but it WILL have some germination.

Done every fall, the turf will sustain itself, new seedlings will replace old tired plants. I don't slit seed any viable turf.... slit seeding is for very distressed lawns. Just MHO....

LawnSolutionsCP
10-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I for one believe in aeration and over seeding.

Yes, it requires at least two passes, but.... grass in nature grows high, and reseeds itself. Because we cut grass, it never is allowed to generate new plants (via seeds). Grass, like any plant, will eventually get "old" and fail. New plants need to be added.... and aeration on an annual basis with overseeding allows that. Sure, you are lucky if you get 10% germination with three passes with an aerator, but it WILL have some germination.

Done every fall, the turf will sustain itself, new seedlings will replace old tired plants. I don't slit seed any viable turf.... slit seeding is for very distressed lawns. Just MHO....

I would suggest you rent or demo one of our seeders from any one of the several dealers out on Long Island. Do it on your own lawn....you might change your mind for next season. You will probably find that our seeder are much faster and easier to use than an aerator. You will get 10x the germination than using an aerator.

You can use these on exisiting or distressed lawns. We have out units at several of the top golf courses in the Hamptons. They use them on the steep slopes around greens and seeding the fescue / blue grass roughts next to the fairways.

David

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I would suggest you rent or demo one of our seeders from any one of the several dealers out on Long Island. Do it on your own lawn....you might change your mind for next season. You will probably find that our seeder are much faster and easier to use than an aerator. You will get 10x the germination than using an aerator.

You can use these on exisiting or distressed lawns. We have out units at several of the top golf courses in the Hamptons. They use them on the steep slopes around greens and seeding the fescue / blue grass roughts next to the fairways.

David

I would LOVE to overseed without an aerator or slit seeder (I own a Husky SD22). Perhaps you could PM me with dealer info?

The SD22 really tears up KGB. It's OK on the clumping grasses like rye and fesue (except creeping red fescue) but any grass that spreads through rhizomes .... the slit seeder just rips the turf up too much for my taste.

Belive me.... I HATE aerating.... and if another option is available, I'm very interested.