PDA

View Full Version : Time for me to vent....

Hawg City Lawns
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
:angry: Well i have been in mowing yards for people since the age of 12 each year getting bigger and bigger. im now in my 7th year of mowing and i mean im doing pretty good new trailer, zero turn, couple of tractors new blower and trimmers etc.. you know the common setup. well ive always thought my next door neighbor was a little weird but this takes it. ever since i started mowing hed ask me about yards and what i would charge and do and etc. i wake up one morning earlier this year and he has a 2008 silverado truck wasnt to surprised you know just a guy that bought a truck but next week he had an enclosed 6'x12' trailer i kinda thought that was odd but didnt think much about it. next thing i know theres a grasshopper sitting in his driveway i was kinda getting pissed thinking hes just trying to show me up buy buying everything a little better than i have well came home couple of days ago and he has his trailer and truck parked in front of my house with the trailer with a sign saying ralphs lawn mowing and gutter cleaning... that pushed me over the edge. ive worked so hard for everything i have and some old man just come in and buy a $20,000 truck and a $3,500 trailer then a $8,000 mower and try to put me out of business AND HES MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR ive seriously thought about just giving him a royal chewing out and im totally that person that would but i think hed just try harder to put me out of business im starting to think hes thinking hes going to get rich by mowing a couple of yards or hes just trying to f*** with me whatever it is its really starting to get on my nerves. but all of that is not the kicker what really threw me over the edge was yesterday his wife stopped me and asked me how long it has taken to get my cliental built up and what i do for advertising and if i had any tips how freaking stupid can you get i wonder if anyone else has this problem :angry:

topsites
10-09-2008, 11:59 PM
LOL don't get mad, just watch this guy ought to be enough to get even!

Look...
I'm also 7 years into it, and there is one thing I have learned there is little most folks can do to me just like that :p
Yeah, a few can still get me, but for the most part I got this one licked.
That is...

Don't shortchange yourself, but do as good a job as you can for the best rate you can tolerate,
which is basically what you're probably doing anyhow, but you know, just be the best you can be
and do the best you can brother it won't be long you'll be hearing stories about "who is this guy these
customers keep talking about can do a really good job for HALF my quote!?"

Won't be long either that guy is out of business, or his equipment looks a little worse for the wear :p
And maybe just maybe he'll respect you one day, but one thing is for sure,
he might learn that money in this industry don't come easy.

Yup.

I did want to add...
This is how, why, and where I get my sense of humor from.

Hawg City Lawns
10-10-2008, 12:12 AM
its pretty funny that hes already ran up more than $30,000 in business costs and he still hasnt mowed his first yard so ive got him beat on business management haha but yes he will see that its not that easy

S L C
10-10-2008, 12:32 AM
its pretty funny that hes already ran up more than $30,000 in business costs and he still hasnt mowed his first yard so ive got him beat on business management haha but yes he will see that its not that easy

Had a way less situtation happen to me about 3 weeks ago.... well the wife had to convince me not to knock the F E R out...... LOL May happen yet though.... F ' n illegal LOWBALLERS, you know who you all are... :clapping:

mngrassguy
10-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I think you need to relax a bit. You may even find out this will work in your benefit somehow. Offer him to mow your jobs for say 50%. You never know, you may end up working together on some big projects or something. Get him to cut your yard for say $10.00.lol

Talk to him about your concerns and maybe he wont compete against you. This may end up being a good thing.....

S L C
10-10-2008, 01:15 AM
I think you need to relax a bit. You may even find out this will work in your benefit somehow. Offer him to mow your jobs for say 50%. You never know, you may end up working together on some big projects or something. Get him to cut your yard for say $10.00.lol

Talk to him about your concerns and maybe he wont compete against you. This may end up being a good thing.....

Another LOWBALLER that breaks even!!! U = JOKE :rolleyes:

Micheal2008
10-10-2008, 01:25 AM
I could understand you being alittle upset but you might be taking it way overboard.. Why worry about what he is doing with his money? If you do good work u have nothing to worry about and isnt there enough people around for you both to mow?

Lawnut101
10-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Wow, that would be a tough situation. Can you say scumbag?? I mean, how could his wife even have the guts to ask you to help them out. Obviously if he already has $30k invested in equipment, they are not very smart. Unless he paid it all cash. If I were you, I would tell him to go out and buy a $30k skid steere. End of problems! lol, I'm just kidding. Just keep doing a good job, and people will notice that not only does your equipment look nice, but so does your work.

Sammy
10-10-2008, 04:06 AM
It would seem that there is a lot of lawns to mow in the "Chicken Capital of the World" I think you need too "Chill A Little". Enough lawns out there for you both.

LushGreenLawn
10-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Why are you guys calling his neighbor a scumbag? Does he not have a right to start a business like the rest of us did? If my neighbor happened to be a in the business, it sure would not have stopped me.

We don't know the guy personally. He may have a well thought out business plan, or he may be out of business in 3 months.

Big Wes
10-10-2008, 07:15 AM
It's called FREE ENTERPRISE

Nothing wrong with competition, it keeps people honest.

HOOLIE
10-10-2008, 07:27 AM
There used to be 5 other LCOs living in my old neighborhood. Not like we all were trying to only cut in our 'hood. The fact the guy lives next door really makes no difference.

If ONE guy can put you out of business, then you need to move somewhere with a larger population!

ALC-GregH
10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Remember, the old guy parked his rig in front of the dudes house with a sign trying to advertise HIS business while blocking the view of others to the dudes house and or trailer. Why doesn't he park his crap on his own or infront of his own property? Sounds like he's trying to step on your toes. If the old guy had a good business plan in place, why did his wife come out asking "how to" get customers?

Woody_1
10-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Why are you guys calling his neighbor a scumbag? Does he not have a right to start a business like the rest of us did? If my neighbor happened to be a in the business, it sure would not have stopped me.

We don't know the guy personally. He may have a well thought out business plan, or he may be out of business in 3 months.

Like he said^^^,
plus you guys are accusing him of lowballing, and I didn't even see a mention of pricing.
I think it could be a good thing to partner up with him, and the two of you could grow together.

Donald A
10-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Sounds like a spur of the moment business set-up by your neighbor. It could be an asset for you. When he finds out the business is actually hard work he may sell all his equipment. You may get a good deal...
You may even offer your assistance as a consultant, for a fee of course.

Jeff Tracey Enterprises
10-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Dont worry about it, play it cool and play him. When he asks for advise, tell him a price of $10 higher. Cause when he goes and lowballs ( which we know he will) it should be in the right ball park. And next year when he goes out of business, you can buy all his equipment for 10 cents on the dollar!!!

brandtb1
10-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I would stay nice to him. Who drops 30K on equipment in the late fall without any work lined up. It sounds to me like you might get a good deal on slightly used equipment next year.

djchiodo3
10-10-2008, 06:09 PM
My two best friends have lawn companies. My brother also runs his own lawn company. At times we are all within looking distance of one another while working. We have lunch together once a week. The only thing that bugs me is I have more equipment then my brother. He is always asking to use something. What can I say, he's my Bro.

Micheal2008
10-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Say the 3 famous words.. BUY YOUR OWN!! :dancing:

My two best friends have lawn companies. My brother also runs his own lawn company. At times we are all within looking distance of one another while working. We have lunch together once a week. The only thing that bugs me is I have more equipment then my brother. He is always asking to use something. What can I say, he's my Bro.

djchiodo3
10-10-2008, 06:49 PM
He's my big brother. More important, he's family. On a different note, one day a lawn service guy I didn't know, walked over and ask if he could buy some edger blades. That was sad. From the look of his rig, I knew he wouldn't be around much longer. I would have to say he probably spent every penny he made on beer instead of on his equipment.

ed2hess
10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow, that would be a tough situation. Can you say scumbag?? I mean, how could his wife even have the guts to ask you to help them out. Obviously if he already has $30k invested in equipment, they are not very smart. Unless he paid it all cash.

Not on subject but.......why would it be smart to go out and spend $30K on a bunch of equipment and pay cash if you don't have any business? I must be missing something.

djchiodo3
10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
People spend thousands to open a restaurant or any other business before they know if it will fail or not. They want to work for them selves and make a living doing something they enjoy. That's the American dream.

nosparkplugs
10-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Chill-out it's relatively easy to start a lawn care business, and all business start from a vision or dream. Without sparking a religous debate, you can take the serenity prayer, and modify it to sute your own taste. Regarless you cannot change what your neighbor is doing it's his right. worry about your own side of the street.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

Mowingman
10-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Not a good time of the year to start a mowing business. Try to stay on good terms with him. Hopefully, you can pick up his equipment for pennies on the dollar, when he goes under, or just gives up and quits.

Richard Martin
10-11-2008, 05:16 AM
Not on subject but.......why would it be smart to go out and spend $30K on a bunch of equipment and pay cash if you don't have any business? I must be missing something.

Not really. This is exactly how I ended up buying a 60" Dixie Chopper with a Kohler 28 EFI that only had 29 hours on it for $4500. The dude went out and bought all kinds of brand new top of the line equipment and didn't even last 3 months.

In any case....

I wouldn't worry about it. You could tell this guy every aspect and detail of how you acheived your success and it still doesn't assure that he's going to make his business work.

There's an old saying that has worked for me for forever. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I've tried to be as friendly as possible with every other LCO I could. If they know you the chances of them screwing you are diminished. You also can network with them and trade jobs and stuff back and forth.

You can also get a chance to educate this guy on proper pricing techniques and maybe keep him from becoming a lowballer.

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 07:48 AM
thats crazy dont talk to him or give him shitty advice

David C.
10-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Last year was my first "Professional" year----I put an ad in the local paper----threw out about a thousand fliers---and got a dozen jobs going

Half way through the season-----one of my "competitors" calls me on the phone

"I'm getting out of the business--------how would you like if I gave you my cliential??"

He gave me his list-----and BINGO-----I was set

Hang in there-----when your neighbor finds out how nasty, hard, and hot the work is---------he'll be the one yellin' "UNCLE!!!!!"

ALC-GregH
10-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Last year was my first "Professional" year----I put an ad in the local paper----threw out about a thousand fliers---and got a dozen jobs going

Half way through the season-----one of my "competitors" calls me on the phone

"I'm getting out of the business--------how would you like if I gave you my cliential??"

He gave me his list-----and BINGO-----I was set

Hang in there-----when your neighbor finds out how nasty, hard, and hot the work is---------he'll be the one yellin' "UNCLE!!!!!"

your one of the lucky ones if someone is going to hand over their accounts for free.

I've managed to get by on just 10 accounts all summer with some other big full day jobs stuck in between. I see Joe Blow riding around in a p/u with a push mower all the time. It bugs the hell out of me. I'm not the type to try and "steal" customers from other guys that are mowing. I'd rather the customer WANT me to do it. I hear on this forum how guys just got started and wow, they already have 30,40 and even 50 accounts they do weekly and got them all in a season! How in the hell can you get that many accounts being solo within a season? I've tried and I've lost out to others lowballing. Most I ask say, "no thank you, we have someone taking care of it already" and I'm done that quick. I just don't get it how guys can land a ton of accounts. I'm going to try hard to get at least 25-30 accounts total next season. It all depends on how big they are.
You should feel lucky Dave....... how many accounts did you get from him, if you don't mind me asking?

Jason Rose
10-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Guy just down the road from me just started a lawn service. Looks like it's him and a friend? Every time I look they have more equipment, I swear for every $100 they get paid they go out and spend $300. Looks to me like they have no concept of actual profits and the costs of running a business, and I'm sure that TAXES don't cross their minds, lol.

Did I stop by their place and get violent with them? No. I just go by and shake my head. Guys like this are doing the work I wont do anyway. One timers and people in the mindset of "mow it when the city calls".

Hawg City Lawns
10-12-2008, 10:44 PM
your one of the lucky ones if someone is going to hand over their accounts for free.

I've managed to get by on just 10 accounts all summer with some other big full day jobs stuck in between. I see Joe Blow riding around in a p/u with a push mower all the time. It bugs the hell out of me. I'm not the type to try and "steal" customers from other guys that are mowing. I'd rather the customer WANT me to do it. I hear on this forum how guys just got started and wow, they already have 30,40 and even 50 accounts they do weekly and got them all in a season! How in the hell can you get that many accounts being solo within a season? I've tried and I've lost out to others lowballing. Most I ask say, "no thank you, we have someone taking care of it already" and I'm done that quick. I just don't get it how guys can land a ton of accounts. I'm going to try hard to get at least 25-30 accounts total next season. It all depends on how big they are.
You should feel lucky Dave....... how many accounts did you get from him, if you don't mind me asking?

ive noticed that too on this site about how somebody comes from rags to riches in one year in this business i have to call a BS on that one plus the ones who do 30 40 or 50 accounts dont realize how much work a 10 lawn day is and probably will never seen one of those.

Lawnut101
10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Remember, the old guy parked his rig in front of the dudes house with a sign trying to advertise HIS business while blocking the view of others to the dudes house and or trailer. Why doesn't he park his crap on his own or infront of his own property? Sounds like he's trying to step on your toes. If the old guy had a good business plan in place, why did his wife come out asking "how to" get customers?

Exactly why I don't think to highly of his neighbor.

kartracer2000
10-13-2008, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It sounds like the guy only saw the dollar signs of how much you charge and not the complete business aspect of how much you actually take home. It would piss me off parking in front of my house though, he would probably get a nail in his tire, :)