PDA

View Full Version : Bid For neighborhood

fbplyr321
10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I have cut residential for almost 6 years and have 15 yards. I do all of them with a 22" push mower! The reason is ive been saving all those years and this year im commericializing. I recently picked up a 66" huslter, 52" hustler, and a a trimstar. Now the bid im looking at is for my neighborhood. The current guys get about 19500 a year. i don't know the exact breakdown but i wanted to try to stay like a thousand under them. So it came out to like 550 a cut for 25 weeks. 500 for fertilizer. and i was thinking 80 an hour to weed wack. The are is on a steep hill maybe 300 by 30. they want it done 4 times a year. i was thinking 80 an hour to weedwack. a brush hog won't stay on the steep hill. Is that too high?

topsites
10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I think that contract could be a teensie bit much to swallow,
I might recommend a slightly less drastic growth curve.

Icepuck72
10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
What is this term "weedwack" that you speak of?

bakerc8
10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
go for it take what he is doing and go 1 less on mowing and i no nothing of fert so i whant to stay out of that

Wittapp
10-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Do you have your lisencing and epa certs for the fert?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-10-2008, 05:09 PM
What the hell? What's with all the people out there who feel they score a victory by being cheaper than the last guy?! Is price really all you can bring to the table? At the very least, you might consider MATCHING their price and actually applying a little salesmanship to get the bid. Better yet, however, would be to price it right, apply that salesmanship, and get the bid.

You get what you pay for. You may like winning the bid, but if you're even cheaper than the last low-baller, you'll be hating it by next June...

djchiodo3
10-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Cut the guy some slack. He has been mowing for 6 years and has an enormous number of accounts. Or should I say "yards". I think "weed Wack" is something you do behind tall bushes.

mowerbrad
10-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I think you shouldn't even try to bid on this. First, all you are doing to price this account is saying that you will be going $1000 under that previous guy. You need to figure what your costs will be before you can even put a "good" bid in. Second, you have never done any kind of commercial work before. You are going to be getting in way over your head. Start by doing some small commercials and then as you gain more knowledge of how to price things out and handle commercial bids, then you can go for this bid. But until then don't even try to bid this.

alexlawn23
10-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Cut the guy some slack. He has been mowing for 6 years and has an enormous number of accounts. Or should I say "yards". I think "weed Wack" is something you do behind tall bushes.

he only has 15 accounts

djchiodo3
10-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I was being a smart***. After 6 years of mowing I had well over a hundred properties. After 20 years in the game lets just say I have a whole lot more now.

ed2hess
10-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Usually these HOA kind of jobs are very difficult to deal with and most of the time even the big guys can't handle the special attention needed.

topsites
10-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Usually these HOA kind of jobs are very difficult to deal with and most of the time even the big guys can't handle the special attention needed.

Ain't that the truth, the problem isn't one of quantity of work, or sheer size,
or under or over bidding per se (well that to a point).

But the problem is one of people, I'll just leave it at that.

I took on a smaller one once, guess I just had to see it for myself.
And you guessed it, that thing ate my lunch.

Looking back...
As a solo I can only admire the big companies who put up with this *%&^ :p

ed2hess
10-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Ain't that the truth, the problem isn't one of quantity of work, or sheer size,
or under or over bidding per se (well that to a point).

But the problem is one of people, I'll just leave it at that.

I took on a smaller one once, guess I just had to see it for myself.
And you guessed it, that thing ate my lunch.

Looking back...
As a solo I can only admire the big companies who put up with this *%&^ :p

We got a new little HOA that is around $400/mo. It has a little strip of grass in front with beds and bushes and flowers. But they have 4 holding ponds that only get cut monthly. They constantly were calling about trash in those ponds and grass in the cracks of the sidewalks in front of the ponds. It took us 5 months of back and forth and many pictures to prove that when we left the pond they were perfect and no trash or grass in cracks. They didn't realize that in a month stuff grows and trash comes and neighbors throw stuff in those ponds. Well we are in the process of putting together a new bid for weekly service on those ponds and the President says that is the only way he will keep his job. Or by the way for the last 9 months those ponds are brown with exception of some very hardly weedy grass. I sprayed the entire thing and put on pre-m there won't be any thing but trash to pick up. Yet they want to keep them looking nice:dizzy:

topsites
10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
We got a new little HOA that is around $400/mo.

Yeah, see...
Mine might have been a little bigger than yours but not by much and like I said that wasn't the problem...

It has a little strip of grass in front with beds and bushes and flowers. But they have 4 holding ponds that only get cut monthly.

Yeah yeah mine too, mine too, and this did add to the pita factor but again this wasn't the problem.

They constantly were calling

That was my problem.