PDA

View Full Version : Job We Just Completed

Mike33
10-10-2008, 08:54 PM
This job was a complete makeover. This is a new home GC just threw down some rye on clay . We started by removing all sod and adding 60 ton of top soil, hydro-seeding. Excavted to left of driveway around 20' allowing more parking installing crusher run. Bulit 2 walls with steps then first wall, steps and ped. to front door. Rear wall steps with sidewalk to deck steps. I had to put a 2" slope to sidewalk to match deck steps. Rear yard we scraped and placed 200 ton of fill from neighbors yard graded and seeded. turned out to be a nice job, H/O was great to work with and is going to do his own planting.
Mike

kootoomootoo
10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
How many walls is that Mike ...

Steps have inconsistent bottom rise>?

Mike33
10-10-2008, 09:39 PM
2 walls 1 in front yard and 1 in back yard. Black top will go even with first step later. Or base will be pulled back depending on what h/o wants. Pics dont show but there is fall from both walls out in to drive way.
Mike

Hardscaping
10-10-2008, 09:59 PM
stairs stacked directly on top of each other?

Looks good though.

Mike33
10-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Pedistal method, a ton of buried block.
Mike

Hardscaping
10-10-2008, 10:52 PM
so you used the double block then a standar and then a coping for this method then stacked back from there on the stairs fromt he bottom layer.

Mike33
10-10-2008, 11:02 PM
so you used the double block then a standar and then a coping for this method then stacked back from there on the stairs fromt he bottom layer.

Okey, 1 wall had 7 steps. I went back in on base course 7 block deep 3 block wide. Set cap on # 1 block for first step, set secnd course the whole way back and so on. Other words 7th step had 21 blocks, 6th had 18, 5th-15, 4th -12, 3rd-9, 2nd -6, first step 3 block. Total of 84 block plus blck in head walls. No stepping back in to bank, excavted area around 10' deep x 6' wide.
Mike

Hardscaping
10-10-2008, 11:04 PM
that is a really good setup. expensive way of doing it but more effective then other ways.

Mike33
10-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Yes figure 84 block @ 7.45 = 626.00 + 21 caps = 137.00 = 763.00 material + 1 day of labor. I have been using Cornerstone that has a locking lug on bottom side, on the pedistal we knock off the lug and some on the head walls giving zero batter = NO Cuts. I hate building steps time and expensive but i dont know a better way. BTW what do you think a concrete guy would of charged for these steps?
Mike

Hardscaping
10-10-2008, 11:34 PM
one question though on the bottom blocks the ones buried did you split the blocks then?

Hardscaping
10-10-2008, 11:36 PM
if those are 12" blocks i wouldve used 18 inch step copings.

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 09:12 AM
looks nice when do you put in grass

Mike33
10-11-2008, 01:33 PM
We hydro-seeded wed. took pics friday.
Mike

Mike33
10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=Hardscaping;2550400]one question though on the bottom blocks the ones buried did you split the blocks then?[/QUOTE
Didnt split any block. Blocks are 18x8x12 works out to about 8" step.
mike

Captains Landscape
10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Quality work as usual Mike. Nice to see that you are busy.

Mike33
10-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Thank you, yes i am very thankful for this year knowing its going to be tough. We are doing some odd bobcat jobs this week and jumping back in to walls, we have 2 on the schedule. I normally close down the week before thanksgiving and do winter maint. that week. Looks like we be okey for that this year. I really cant wait to close down time, been a stressful year.
Mike

Superior L & L
10-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Wow realy nice wall. I love how clean and crisp the corners are. That wall by the garage . Is it straight up no set back ?? thats a tall wall to be straight. I can understand if it is cos when you turn into the steps it makes each step wider if you have set back in the walls

Mike33
10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Wall does have a batter pics don't show it well.
mike

westernmdlawn
10-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Mike, your work looks outstanding. I'm very impressed. How do you like using the Cornerstone products? I agree, steps are a PITA, but they sure do look great when they are done.

How many man hours did you have in that job? Also, where is this job at Mike? I'm guessing down on Uhl Highway off of Oriole Drive?

You said $7.45 for those blocks.... Is that your cost or the charge to the customer? That's basically the same price I pay for EP HENRY Stuff, after tax. They are 6.93, or $7.35 w/tax.

Glad to hear you had a good year... I'm hoping mine will be better next year. Think we'll get much snow this winter?

DVS Hardscaper
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Work looks great, Mike!

Ok, just one thing - those steps outta have some nice lights tucked under that cap treads.

Wow, $7.45 / block :(

Thats more than we pay and it comes from the same place!

LOL - just kidding, I realize it costs that tractor trailer money to climb that mountain. I believe we pay in the neighborhood of $5.50.

LB1234
10-13-2008, 08:55 PM
nice work.

I'm curious if zoning/building code requires a railing of some sort?

Mike33
10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Only inside of our city limits on over 3', this job was outside city limits. The wall along driveway in 3' and under. Upper wall h/o just planted himself with nice variety of shrubbery i don't feel any danger.
Mike

Mike33
10-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Mike, your work looks outstanding. I'm very impressed. How do you like using the Cornerstone products? I agree, steps are a PITA, but they sure do look great when they are done.

How many man hours did you have in that job? Also, where is this job at Mike? I'm guessing down on Uhl Highway off of Oriole Drive?

You said $7.45 for those blocks.... Is that your cost or the charge to the customer? That's basically the same price I pay for EP HENRY Stuff, after tax. They are 6.93, or $7.35 w/tax.

Glad to hear you had a good year... I'm hoping mine will be better next year. Think we'll get much snow this winter?

Hey Brian, I like cornerstone ab screwed up by going to that 12" cap on 18" block making a crap job. But take the steps no cutting we nock off the bottom lug elimanting the batter everything fits nice with out cutting. Ab with the batter you would have to cut caps for the steps and have those small pieces looking like crap. Yes it was on wilson lane close to oriole hope i didn't take 1 from you. Time wise : 2 days in lower wall including wall steps, 2 days in upper wall including steps, 3 days in steps going up to front door, 3-4 days excavating for lower wall, re-grade yard and top soil. H/o and his family was outstanding to work for. Im grading and seeding this week, 2 larger walls to do before close down 1 on 220 and 1 in Harwood. Can't wait to close down for season, go deer hunting and watch the snow fly. I like dealing with Merl at PMC he is such a great man to do business with.
Mike

Mike33
10-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Work looks great, Mike!

Ok, just one thing - those steps outta have some nice lights tucked under that cap treads.

Wow, $7.45 / block :(

Thats more than we pay and it comes from the same place!

LOL - just kidding, I realize it costs that tractor trailer money to climb that mountain. I believe we pay in the neighborhood of $5.50.
Thanks, yes intregal light would of been nice but this guy spent a lot of money. he is going to do some himself he actually put some conduit under our block. Yes trucking costs money, my guy actually has a guy who is running that route empty on his way home stops and picks up 13 skids legal load and charges him still $400.00. He thinks thats a bargain to what he was paying i think its kind of high since the guy is coming thru Frederick empty any way.
Mike

neversatisfiedj
10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Great work as usual Mike. That block looks just like Versa

DVS Hardscaper
10-14-2008, 10:12 AM
great work as usual mike. That block looks just like versa

ouch!!!!!!

westernmdlawn
10-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Mike,
Nope, not anything I was bidding on. I just have a friend who used to live in the house in the background of your pic I think. I recognized the location. Mike how many walls have you built this season total? We have only done 2, one huge one and 1 small one.

Maybe we'll catch up when you close down for the season if you have more time then.