PDA

View Full Version : walker owners help me out!

Mowerboy04
10-10-2008, 09:21 PM
hey walker owners and other lawnsite members, next year i'm starting a crew that will be doing only high end properties. The lawns will be cut and bagged, trimmed and edged every week along with weeding every week. i will be useing my toro ztr and 36" wb to do my other 70 lawns and i will be buying another mower to do my 25 high end lawns. anyway whats the back ground now what is so good about walker mowers? i know there a bagging mower and the decks flip up to make it easy to change the blades and the pics i see of them it looks like it stripes and cuts well. what are some other pros and cons of the mowers, do the clippings ever jam up? how will it do in wet grass, also how do the controlls work? do you push them forward just like a normal ztr? also i hear the mowers are very monnurerval, they seem like there longer then a mid mount ztr so woun't they be less monnravable? any input on these mowers would be great.
thanks
alex
don't mind my bed spelling its late and its been a long day.

South Florida Lawns
10-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I hear they are fragile, from a few LCO's. There a front mount deck mower so you can get up under stuff better.

I know they hold a hill a little better than a conventional Z.

I think there slower right?

They are from what I see and hear give a superb cut for those high manicured lawns that get bagged.

Down here it seems like their cut is nothing special on St. Augustine

johnnyusa
10-10-2008, 09:53 PM
the only thing a mid mount is better on is wide open properties. ive had lazer zs ,scag and turf tracers and nothing cuts or bags as well as a walker. also on medium size 1/2 - 3/4 acre yards a good operator of a walker can cut a lawn with alot less trimming and blowing clippings and clumps faster than a midmount. Just my opininion . try one for a day , also try the navigator some guys like them too. At 1st it'll seem strange, by the end of the day youll probably buy that little badger. Good luck

flatlander42
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
you will not like the controlls for about the first hour or two. it is like a guy with an X-Box trying to play the same game with a ps2. works the same, but takes some gettin used to.

Mowerboy04
10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
thanks for the info guys keep the info coming so far i've learned alot. i'm contacting my walker distributer monday to try to get a demo set up before the end of next week. but please keep the info on these mowers coming thanks

DavisLawn
10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
they do clog up pretty bad in wet grass.. although i've heard the new ones with the bigger blower werent near as bad, but mine is the smaller blower.... much slower than a ztr...but nothing leaves a nicer cut than a walker... especially on the high end properties ...not even close.

nosparkplugs
10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I was using two Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velocity deck, and replaced the two Tiger cubs with one Walker MT 42" GHS, and their one of the best ZTR's on the market for residential or commercial use. The Walkers use a (FSC) speed control system, and IMO is way better than any conventional ZTR, the "jerky" motion we hear about is due to a novice operator, Their truly a "finger tip" steering mower, the right FSC lever only controls your forward speed just like cruise control, while the two levers control the left or right movements very refined steering, the Walker is the BMW of ZTR steering control. Going back, and forth between a convential ZTR vs the Walker, nothing is more: percise, exact, crisp, and can provide one fluid motion than a Walker Convential ZTR steering is unrefined period. The Walker FCS system results in fluid movements, less wasted time positioning the machine to mow
The GHS system is virtually uncloggable, from experience I have maintained a tight schedule even during a rain storm while maintaining a manicured cut in the wettest grass, no other ZTR can do this.
1 tractor 11decks: Another great options is the ability to interchange decks from a GHS deck to mulching to SD with removal of two pins, slide off the splined PTo shaft, and the process is reversed for install. Those that complain about the interchanging of the decks as "hard" are nothing but babies, come on it's not that frikin tough,takes 1 minute maybe.

Walker being fragile: this is just not the case, I listen to that BS for 6 years, and I finally purchased one 2 seasons ago, no mowing demo either. My only regret listening to those knuckle heads that talk BS on the Walkers for way to long. The Walker decks are NOT 7 gauge decks; however I have ran into many an object or ran over foreign objects that were steel,rocks,cement block, large bolts etc should have done some major damage to the deck/gearbox's/GHS system, ACCORDING to the Walker haters, only scratched paint, and some minor dents to date:laugh:. The fact remains I use the Walker on high end residentials, gas stations, churchs, athletic fields, HOA, apartment complex's, section 8 housing, and it has held up to 100% of the crap those accounts could dish out. I disagree on their "fragile" state thats a myth, wrong, false.

Walker Compact size, While the Walker seems longer in size, it's compact size, internal GHS system, and trimming ability on both sides of a GHS deck. Makes the Walker highly valuable for maintaining highly landscaped properties, or any account you may have.

The Walker Myth it's SLOW: While it's true at only 6.5 mph buy all comparisons it's the turtle. Not the case, While the midmout ZTR has a faster ground speed that does not equal a manicured Walker cut. The Walkers compact size GHS system, out front, counter weighted GHS trimming decks, produce a manicured, high quality cut that does not require double cutting in the thickest grass wet or dry.

While my views on the Walker are not going to ring true with all, I can say from experience that mulching requires sheer brute HP to produce a manicured cut. I use the Walker on all our residential and commercial accounts, regardless of the grass type, terrain, or price of the account the Walker has saved us time period. I do have a second 60" SD deck for the Walker, plus a 60" 7-Iron deck to further increase our cutting swath, and speed in wide area's.

Mowerboy04
10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I was using two Scag Tiger Cubs 48" velocity deck, and replaced the two Tiger cubs with one Walker MT 42" GHS, and their one of the best ZTR's on the market for residential or commercial use. The Walkers use a (FSC) speed control system, and IMO is way better than any conventional ZTR, the "jerky" motion we hear about is due to a novice operator, Their truly a "finger tip" steering mower, the right FSC lever only controls your forward speed just like cruise control, while the two levers control the left or right movements very refined steering, the Walker is the BMW of ZTR steering control. Going back, and forth betweena convential ZTR vs the Walker, nothing is more: percise, exact, crisp, and can provide one fluid motion than a Walker. The Walker FCS system results in fluid movements, less wasted time positioning the machine to mow
The GHS system is virtually uncloggable, from experience I have maintained a tight schedule even during a rain storm while maintaining a manicured cut in the wettest grass, no other ZTR can do this.
1 tractor 11decks: Another great options is the ability to interchange decks from a GHS deck to mulching to SD with removal of two pins, slide off the splined PTo shaft, and the process is reversed for install. Those that complain about the interchanging of the decks as "hard" are nothing but babies, come on it's not that frikin tough,takes 1 minute maybe.

Walker being fragile: this is just not the case, I listen to that BS for 6 years, and I finally purchased one 2 seasons ago, no mowing demo either. My only regret listening to those knuckle heads that talk BS on the Walkers for way to long. The Walker decks are NOT 7 gauge decks; however I have ran into many an object or ran over foreign objects that were steel,rocks,cement block, large bolts etc should have done some major damage to the deck/gearbox's/GHS system, ACCORDING to the Walker haters, only scratched paint, and some minor dents to date:laugh:. The fact remains I use the Walker on high end residentials, gas stations, churchs, athletic fields, HOA, apartment complex's, section 8 housing, and it has held up to 100% of the crap those accounts could dish out. I disagree on their "fragile" state thats a myth, wrong, false.

Walker Compact size, While the Walker seems longer in size, it's compact size, internal GHS system, and trimming ability on both sides of a GHS deck. Makes the Walker highly valuable for maintaining highly landscaped properties, or any account you may have.

The Walker Myth it's SLOW: While it's true at only 6.5 mph buy all comparisons it's the turtle. Not the case, While the midmout ZTR has a faster ground speed that does not equal a manicured Walker cut. The Walkers compact size GHS system, out front, counter weighted GHS trimming decks, produce a manicured, high quality cut that does not require double cutting in the thickest grass wet or dry.

While my views on the Walker are not going to ring true with all, I can say from experience that mulching requires sheer brute HP to produce a manicured cut. I use the Walker on all our residential and commercial accounts, regardless of the grass type, terrain, or price of the account the Walker has saved us time period. I do have a second 60" SD deck for the Walker, plus a 60" 7-Iron deck to further increase our cutting swath, and speed in wide area's.

wow thanks for the great review! this has helped alot
thanks

flatlander42
10-10-2008, 11:34 PM
i used a walker first, and now i have a navigator.

i have had poor luck in rain either way...:S

that last review was true for the walker and the navigator. the only thing that they will say is that the navigator is like 200 lbs heavier....no worse than a fat operator though, right?

you may want to drive both, one may toot your horn more than the other...and as always dealer support should be part of your decision.

good luck with your choice!

Nathan

bajabodin
10-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I ditto "nosparkplugs" post. I just purchased my first 42" Walker and love it beyond belief. I love the clean crisp look on my lawns. I used to cut every single lawn with a 21" walk behind just because I like the way a lawn looks when the grass is bagged; I tried all of my other mowers, (which I use on my open fields, trashy commercial accounts, etc) and nothing would come close. This has saved me time and allowed me to still have some energy at the end of the day. Another great thing is the way the deck pulls up the grass and then cuts it. I cut on a rainy day couple of days ago and the sidewalks looked clean, very clean for having just cut in the rain. So this saves you cleanup time exponentially. I do not know about other ztr's but my Walker came with an 88 page manual and I would say 1/3 of it is for maintenance, 1/3 for operation and the other 1/3 is for safety, introduction & blah, blah, blah...And besides, if someone does pick on a Walker, it usually means they are jealous...

Mowerboy04
10-11-2008, 09:15 AM
anyone else?

2stroke
10-11-2008, 10:15 AM
i love my Walker ...worth its wieght in gold. it does everything i want it to do. 2800 hrs all day every day. looking for a newer one now.

Jason Rose
10-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I was typing out my thoughts last night, but then family showed up and I closed out the window and killed the PC for the night. Since then Nosparkplugs pretty much finished what I had started to type.

I really like my Walker, don't know how I did lawns without it before... One thing hasn't been mentioned is the amount of maintenance the Walkers require. If you aren't one to do routine maint. on the set schedules then a Walker might not be for you. There's a LOT of grease zerks and lube points and these must be maintained to keep the machine working like new. Also, once you have some time on the machine, or if you buy a used one, you will need some patience and some decent mechanical ability to do repair work on them. Everything on them is built TIGHT in there, very little clearance for everything. It's just nuts and bolts though, nothing too bad.

I'll add, about mowing when it's wet. I have very little problems with my new machine with the 10.5" blower. Rain is usually never a problem, DEW is the problem. Dew makes the grass MUCH wetter than rain because dew collects on each blade in large amounts, where raindrops just make the grass wet. I have to mow in the dew almost every morning, sometimes it dosn't fully dry out till almost 11:00 or noon. The Walker does very well in these conditions overall. It's rare if the deck gets clogged, and more so if the blower clogs up. The key is keeping the screen vent in the hopper as clean as possible.

mouse
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I run a walker with the big blower also have a big walkbehind and a 60" ztr. walker will mow wet grass either dew or rain, the cut is unsurpassed by any mower i've seen, mine will not stay on a steep hill it starts tail draging as the hill gets steeper but for quality of cut it can't be beat. When I started using walkers about 3 years ago, after using a grasshopper on the same property for 3 years my contact there came out and wanted to know what I was using now people had been commenting on how good the lawn was looking. Have I said enough?

nosparkplugs
10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Like Jason said their are many grease zerks on a Walker, with that said I do not spend any extra time greasing the Walker in comparision to any of the other mowers I have owned. For those not willing to spend the extra $$$, cheap grease is better than no grease; however I use AMSOIL's fully synthetic grease's NLGI 1 or 2 rating. I have extended my grease times well beyond the OEM specs, saving time & money If your like me, and DO NOT enjoy greasing zerks, try the AMSOIL synthetic grease's or try the Lucas 'Red & Tacky' which is available to you locally. You will notice a significant improvement on any grease point vs conventional grease.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Synthetic-Grease

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products_overviews.sd?iid=7&catid=6

dishboy
10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
i used a walker first, and now i have a navigator.

i have had poor luck in rain either way...:S

that last review was true for the walker and the navigator. the only thing that they will say is that the navigator is like 200 lbs heavier....no worse than a fat operator though, right?

Nathan

Actually 200lb is enormous, if the rider is HEAVY he will add extra weight to the Navigator also, now we are talking ruts!

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 03:55 PM
i what to get a used scag cougar any opinions on those

flatlander42
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
i like my navigator, and i cant defend the weight issue.....so i'll stay speachless...

Nathan

ha305
10-11-2008, 06:21 PM
I know im gonna get some sh*t for this but from going to walker and exmarks sites, I do not see that much difference in weight. Maybe i am reading it wrong, but I was also comparing the walker model d and the model t, both heavy commercial models.

ed2hess
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
i what to get a used scag cougar any opinions on those

We have one and I like it for what it can do.....sidedischarge, bag, and mulch. It is simple to flip the deck and change out the baffles. It won't cut as well as a Walker or Navigator mainly because they never got the blade speed up.The bagging is as good as my old Walker (not with big blower). The unit is heavy so rutting can be a problem but on the up side the unit is built like a tank in all aspects. We see a few used ones around and they are
getting around $2500 to $3500 for them. The unit handles exactly like a Walker from controls standpoint.

nosparkplugs
10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Both the Exmark Navigator & Walker MT GHS are excellent mowers; however it came down to the optional decks that a Walker can run. Ironically a big selling point for the Navigator is mute now, it is more expensive than the Walker now at least here in Memphis. Dealer service is equal, with the economy how it is nothing is free anymore. For the extra money the Navigator costs, you can now purchase a second Walker deck here in Memphis.

johnnyusa
10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
My thoughts when I got a walker was Walker has been making Ghs Units successfully for years and alot of Big name companies have tried to copy it and failed. When I go to a Walker dealer to get parts , they know what im talking about and a good chance they have it in stock and most likely will be making walker ghs unit for years. My dealer has used both at his house and business. He sells both the navigator and the walker and he flat out told me to get the walker. Good Luck with your decision