PDA

View Full Version : price for aerating and over seeding

blake g
10-10-2008, 09:30 PM
a new by here just got a call for my first job over seeding and aerating need a little help with pricing. about a 1/4 and help would be appreciated

mikesturf
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Your pricing depends on your area and what other LCOs are charging. You probably get fliers on your door advertizing aeration, if not call a few to "get quotes".

Marcos
10-11-2008, 11:23 AM
a new by here just got a call for my first job over seeding and aerating need a little help with pricing. about a 1/4 and help would be appreciated

Do it right.
Quote the job...using slice-seeding equipment!

Core aerators were (originally) intended to be turf MAINTENANCE machines.
They were bastardized into the seeding biz over time, by low-ball lawn care salesmen who were set on under-cutting their competition.
But "aeration & seeding", even aerated 2X over, is not even close to being a sufficient substitute... for a GOOD slice-seeding job!

loom-gen
10-12-2008, 06:24 AM
aerate x 2, verticut, seed, starter, verticut again and water at 11:00 and 3:00 for 20 min per zone. 6 lb per k at overseed fescue blend($27 - $30/k) or 10 - 12 lb per k for kill off fescue blend ($35 - $38/k) not including chem for kill off. Marcos is right. aerating isn't going to get all the seeds in contact with soil, however, with bunch type grasses, the holes and plugs both allow hidden "p" and assential macros to reach the surface where the seeds will germinate. but if you want a high percent of germination, verticutting gives the best result. this is why I do both.

Marcos
10-13-2008, 12:18 PM
aerate x 2, verticut, seed, starter, verticut again and water at 11:00 and 3:00 for 20 min per zone. 6 lb per k at overseed fescue blend($27 - $30/k) or 10 - 12 lb per k for kill off fescue blend ($35 - $38/k) not including chem for kill off. Marcos is right. aerating isn't going to get all the seeds in contact with soil, however, with bunch type grasses, the holes and plugs both allow hidden "p" and assential macros to reach the surface where the seeds will germinate. but if you want a high percent of germination, verticutting gives the best result. this is why I do both.

Good post.

If someone has the resources, energy, and $$$ to aerate an hour or so before slicing, this extra step would be instrumental in bringing soil cores up to the soil's surface (of course:rolleyes:) where they can be conveniently pulverized as the slice-seeding equipment makes its vertical cuts into the turf.

I employ this method sometimes, too, loom-gen. Mainly in heavy soil situations.
Sometimes I'll figure into the bid a step of coming back with a thin layer of finished compost once the seed is up, too.

One down side of this...is that it can make the operation quite a bit more dusty. :cry:
So that's why I like to let (wet) soil cores 'dry down' a little...but not all the way, before I start to slice.

The up side is that it improves "seed to soil contact %" DRAMATICALLY! :)

Like you implied, JUST... "seeding after aeration" (even going over twice or 3x) is like trying to throw a game of darts with a blindfold on.
You generally only get seed up where the 'holes' were made....and much of that seed doesn't survive because many of the holes are usually TOO DEEP for seed to have much, if any long-term chances!

And by the time a person's taken the TIME to go over the thing with the aerator 2x or 3x...:wall...why didn't they just go out and get the RIGHT piece of equipment for the job?

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-14-2008, 12:39 PM
charge whatever sounds fair. if 250.00 is good for both of you then thats it.

Macrae
10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Good post.

If someone has the resources, energy, and $$$ to aerate an hour or so before slicing, this extra step would be instrumental in bringing soil cores up to the soil's surface (of course:rolleyes:) where they can be conveniently pulverized as the slice-seeding equipment makes its vertical cuts into the turf.

I employ this method sometimes, too, loom-gen. Mainly in heavy soil situations.
Sometimes I'll figure into the bid a step of coming back with a thin layer of finished compost once the seed is up, too.

One down side of this...is that it can make the operation quite a bit more dusty. :cry:
So that's why I like to let (wet) soil cores 'dry down' a little...but not all the way, before I start to slice.

The up side is that it improves "seed to soil contact %" DRAMATICALLY! :)

Like you implied, JUST... "seeding after aeration" (even going over twice or 3x) is like trying to throw a game of darts with a blindfold on.
You generally only get seed up where the 'holes' were made....and much of that seed doesn't survive because many of the holes are usually TOO DEEP for seed to have much, if any long-term chances!

And by the time a person's taken the TIME to go over the thing with the aerator 2x or 3x...:wall...why didn't they just go out and get the RIGHT piece of equipment for the job?

Marcos,
I'd like to know your thoughts on applying the compost right after aerating and then the slice seeding. Do you think that adding a 1/4 inch of compost would make the seeds too deep and prevent some from germinating or would it matter?

Thanks

mngrassguy
10-15-2008, 02:21 AM
$30.00/k is a good place to start. I've done 100's over the years and have never had a failure as long as the lawn gets plenty of water