PDA

View Full Version : Would you leave a job looking like this? -pics

bob
10-10-2008, 11:44 PM
2 weeks ago, a 2 man crew cut this property next to a HOA open area that I cut. They left a big mess and didn't blow anything off. They were back today and here's a couple of pictures of their work. Grass in the beds and clippings sprayed on 3 sides of the house.

mississippiturf
10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
What a mess!!:hammerhead:

Professionalism took a back seat on this job. Might be a good way to pick up a new customer if you care to do contact the customer.

ffemt1271
10-10-2008, 11:50 PM
absolutely not, and if a crew did that they would be seeking other employment...:confused:

TNT LawnCare Inc.
10-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I like the ones who chute it all over the cars or trucks. Just goes to show you they have alot to learn or the client just doesnt care. But thats looks like crap!

mag360
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Quit following my guys around Bob---:drinkup:

LawnMowerKing10
10-11-2008, 12:18 AM
What mowers did they have?

mowingmachine
10-11-2008, 12:23 AM
I can't believe anybody would leave a job looking like that.

MileHigh
10-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Stop taking pics of my work and posting them online...

At least I got paid....$18 big bucks!

Kennedy Landscaping
10-11-2008, 01:06 AM
I would never leave a job looking like that. No matter how long it takes I would do it right. Very unprofessional IMO

bob
10-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Here's the right side of the house.

Lawnut101
10-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Not only do the clippings scattered in places where they shouldn't be look terrible, the lawn looks like crap anyway. I haven't ever left a lawn looking like that. And if I did, I would turn myself in.

Richard Martin
10-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Did you ever wonder how some companies can get a lawn done in 10 minutes. This is one way of doing it.

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 08:52 AM
did they scalp it all the way down or what how do you get all that from the grass with out it being 10 feet tall or scalping it

DLAWNS
10-11-2008, 10:11 AM
That is an awesome job. I wish I was that good, lol.

topsites
10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I wonder if it's because someone actually found that miracle guy who can do just
about anything for about half the price most of the rest of us would do it for.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-11-2008, 10:49 AM
On my worst day I could not cut or leave a property looking this bad! I will not even leave one clump of grass in the yard, has to have that perfect "bagged" look no matter how long it takes. This had to be someone who is giving them a bargain price. H*ll, I could not even do one free and leave it looking that bad!

bob
10-11-2008, 10:54 AM
What mowers did they have?

They had a walkbehind and a 21"er on the trailer. Like I said before, the first time I saws them cut it, they didn't even have a blower!

kleankutslawn
10-11-2008, 01:00 PM
wow,don't know what to say about that one!

02DURAMAX
10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Looks GOOD!!!...lol

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-11-2008, 01:55 PM
theres nothing worng with this they are just trying to make grass grow on the side of the house to boost their work since they work so hard lol

South Florida Lawns
10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
can you get a better picture of the stripes?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I hope they charged extra for fertilizing and mulching the beds.

ezgoer1969
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
It all depends on what the customer wants. They may have priced the lawn for a cut only. I know next year, I will be offering cut onlys. In my area, I see alot of homeowners who cut only, do not trim or blow. Now I know I have just opened myself up for alot of critism, but, seeing how most homeowners do most of there yards, I can offer a cheaper service to tap into those types of customers. I also hate leaving a site like that, but I noticed this year I could have had alot more bussiness if I were to have offered a lower service option. Times are rough for alot of people, they dont have much money. I believe the market for cut only could be something new and prosporous for a lawn care company. But leaving the property like u would is hard to do. And if I do go this route next year, my signs will read differently on the sides and back of my trailer. They will definitley be worded so that people will know I offer full service and or a cut only.
Don't rave too much to me about this post, I know one of the first replies will be about the customer like this will not have it done often, not pay etc etc. But for the price of a cut only, they will have to be a regular and pay as you go account.

Sweet Tater
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
absolutely not, and if a crew did that they would be seeking other employment...:confused:

ditto that. Thats pitiful.

Lawn Pawn
10-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I have left properties looking like that! Well not the grass on the building.
Why??? I am subbing out to cut them and this is what I am told to do.

Some I cut every two weeks..... grass about eight nine inches long. Others I cut once a week that should be cut every three weeks. One property was not trimmed for nine weeks!!! Grass a foot tall on the boulevard around the mailbox. I could go on and on and on. Best part is.... some of the home owners have had this LCO for years. I guess they just do not care or cannot see.

My accounts... I bust my hump for! I have done bagging and cuts for free because I was not happy with the way they looked. When I was done they could see the difference, and after that trusted my judgement when I told them what we should do.

Bottom line..... who knows the reason this property looked like crap. There is one big fancy home on the lake next to a property I mow. Never in three years have there been tow parallel mower tracks in the yard... or dare I say the mower deck leveled!!!

billslawn89
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
this is a bank owned property. guys just go in, mow, blow and go! they don't care what it looks like! looks sick to me! i would never do jobs like that, even if asked too! too much pride for that!

S man
10-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Stop taking pics of my work and posting them online...

At least I got paid....$18 big bucks!

That's funny.
They should get a chute blocker at least when getting up close to beds or houses.

mattfromNY
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I have several REO properties that we just go in 900 miles per hour and cut just to keep the code enforcer off their backs. Thats what they want, thats what they pay for (cheap, cheap) and thats what they get. We definately Do Not leave things looking as bad as in the posted pictures, never grass blown into the beds or on the house, all sidewalks and roadways/ driveways blown off and all trimming done. I can adjust my standards to the standards of the customer, if they are particular I will be particular and they will pay accordingly, but if they just want a quick cut I'll give them just that and they pay accordingly. As long as my schedule stays full and I know I'm clearing a profit at the end of the day, and not busting up my equipment, I'll keep keeping on.

puppypaws
10-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Think about those pictures for a moment, you would have to work at it to screw up that bad. That is the kind of people, you've heard the old saying " he don't have enough sense to p*ss a hole in the snow."

I'll promise you could take some members of the senate or congress, let them do the same job and that is what you would see. Their part of common sense dropped out on the sheet.

Dave_005
10-11-2008, 10:31 PM
2 weeks ago, a 2 man crew cut this property next to a HOA open area that I cut. They left a big mess and didn't blow anything off. They were back today and here's a couple of pictures of their work. Grass in the beds and clippings sprayed on 3 sides of the house.

that is the FASTEST way to LOSE an Account !!! if i did that i would Expect the homeowner to fire me on the spot and if one of my guys left a job like that he would be fired on the spot. !! the BEST advertising is your finished work. if you do a GOOD job word gets around and if you do a **** Job like that the word will get around as well...

Kennedy Landscaping
10-11-2008, 10:36 PM
If a home owner hasn't been line trimming or edging and it is only supposed to be a one time cut. I will usually go the extra distance and edge and trim everywhere. More times than not this impresses them so much they want you back. Always do your best and then some.

Wojomower125
10-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Thats just plain disgusting , even if I tried I could never leave such a mess!!!

puppypaws
10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
If a home owner hasn't been line trimming or edging and it is only supposed to be a one time cut. I will usually go the extra distance and edge and trim everywhere. More times than not this impresses them so much they want you back. Always do your best and then some.

Smart Man!

duckett6
10-21-2008, 03:41 AM
I wish I could get thet customer. The person doesn't appreciate business

Jason Pallas
10-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Didn't the poster say this was a bank owned property? I've left lots of properties looking like this because 1) they were bank owned and only paying for minimal service 2) the customer was too cheap to pay full price for better service 3) the customer insisted on going every two weeks with service and I wasn't about ready to bust my butt to make this overgrown mess look like a good paying weekly customer.
Before you critique the service, you need to examine the situation. Would I ever leave a good paying, fair priced account like that? NO. Would I leave an underpriced, bank property that is only paying $25 for what is normally a $45 lawn looking like this? All day - every time.

MortonLawn
10-21-2008, 01:00 PM
at least the grass was mowed, could still look like a jungle. haha!

lawnjocky
10-21-2008, 02:12 PM
It all depends on what the customer wants. They may have priced the lawn for a cut only. I know next year, I will be offering cut onlys. In my area, I see alot of homeowners who cut only, do not trim or blow. Now I know I have just opened myself up for alot of critism, but, seeing how most homeowners do most of there yards, I can offer a cheaper service to tap into those types of customers. I also hate leaving a site like that, but I noticed this year I could have had alot more bussiness if I were to have offered a lower service option. Times are rough for alot of people, they dont have much money. I believe the market for cut only could be something new and prosporous for a lawn care company. But leaving the property like u would is hard to do. And if I do go this route next year, my signs will read differently on the sides and back of my trailer. They will definitley be worded so that people will know I offer full service and or a cut only.
Don't rave too much to me about this post, I know one of the first replies will be about the customer like this will not have it done often, not pay etc etc. But for the price of a cut only, they will have to be a regular and pay as you go account.

Be careful giving the customer what they want, it can come back to bite you. When you are working on a property others don't know what you have agreed to do. Even with signage. The public only knows what they see. I used to play these games and then try to explain to someone else why the job looked questionable. It's not worth it. The public thinks either you're not telling the truth or they can get you to cut a deal for them. Choose your market and set your standards.

hillbilly_lawnboy
10-21-2008, 02:25 PM
One word...........Unacceptable!

WoodBrothersLC
10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
By the way the beds were maintained (weeds everywhere), is it possible that these guys were paid to come in and just cut the grass down by the city or a neighborhood authority? If it were a weekly customer of theirs, that would be unacceptable, but is there a possibility that they were paid to come in and do a quick mow for a neglegent neighbor?

Charles
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Maybe they have a separate Pressure Washing Business. Leave and then let the PW company call them the next day:laugh: "Just checking the neighborhood to see if anyone needs any pressure washing, maam"payup

J&R Landscaping
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
They must have tried to leave the job site look that bad. That would be an easy way to pick-up a new account for me. I'm surprised the bottom of the siding isn't all chewed from running the trimmer to close!

Frontier-Lawn
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
this is a bank owned property. guys just go in, mow, blow and go! they don't care what it looks like! looks sick to me! i would never do jobs like that, even if asked too! too much pride for that!

and more homes are going that way now, bank owned and banks dont care about looks just the $$$$ they can get for the lest amount of $ out go.

Woody82986
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I might actually have to stop and activelt TRY to make a lawn look like that. I just don't think doing a job like that is in my genes.

Lazer_Z
10-21-2008, 06:48 PM
If a home owner hasn't been line trimming or edging and it is only supposed to be a one time cut. I will usually go the extra distance and edge and trim everywhere. More times than not this impresses them so much they want you back. Always do your best and then some. Good answer LF.

Frontier-Lawn
10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
2 weeks ago i was contacted by a Realtor for 3 bank owned properties owned by Wachovia, they wanted only to pay 25$ per cut every other month and the same for the first cut $50 for 8+ months of growth.

milike
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM

Are you certain they were done ,snd not just taking a break>

cgaengineer
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
I am not doubting that it looks like ****...but it also looks like the customer waited a long time before finally calling someone to cut it.

brucec32
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Maybe they're just slowly applying a protective frost coating on the shrubs and paint protectant on the house.

lawnwizards
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
what i find amusing is how when a customer doesnt pay, people on here tell the poster to do some revenge tactics. (ex. round up balloons). whos to say this customer didnt stiff the guy for a big bill so they went in and scalped the yard and made it look like crap on purpose. everyone is saying its unacceptable without knowing all of the facts.