PDA

View Full Version : How well would top dressing with a bark blower work?

Bluelude1
10-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I have a rather large property that we are trying to get ready for sale that has quite a few large areas that are in need of top dressing and I was wondering how well a bark blower would do the job? I don't have alot of inexpensive labor available to me so I am trying to figure out what the easiest way to get a larger job like this done without a ton of back breaking work.

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 08:07 AM
i whant to here this one

White Gardens
10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
I couldn't tell you if it would work or not, but it does sound like a good idea if it does work.

We get compost from the local college and I like it for amending and top dressing because it is broken down fine enough to be almost black dirt, but it's a little lighter so a blower might be able to handle something similar to it.

I guess your going to have to try it out first. Let us know how it goes.

PlatinumLandCon
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
All soil/seed is blown in to fix everything up after the sewer project they just did in my area. Within 2 weeks you can't tell it was just seeded, grows fast and thick.

http://www.hermanns.ca/index.php?id=19

bam
10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Express blowers would be able to handle compost. I have a jobsite where I am using the blower for topdressing. From experience, I know that topdressing is at least two times less productive than applying mulch with that particular unit. On days that we would apply 100+ yards of double ground mulch, the topdressing would only net about 40 yards of spread material. I guess the real key is to have dry material. We did have some loads in the past that were wet and would clog the blower.

Another option for topdressing is to see if you have a local company with a topdresser. We have a local company with a truck and a millcreek topdresser mounted on it. It runs on high floatation tires and has a very low groundpressure.

The final consideration is finding a soil company that can provide a high quality topdress material. That is key for applying efficiently with spreaders or blowers.