PDA

View Full Version : why can't belt drive wb use double swivel sulky's?

bigjvillelawn
10-11-2008, 12:55 PM
why can't belt drive wb use double swivel sulky's? on most of the sites I see where they sell double wheel sulkys I see that they don't want people to use them on belt drives. This doesn't make sense to me the only thing I could think of is maybe the turn could be too fast and throw the rider. But having many hours on a wb belt driven, I'm pretty good at controling my turns and all on a sulky. what do you guys think? Anybody use one on a belt wb?

02DURAMAX
10-11-2008, 01:13 PM
you can use one..I have.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
10-11-2008, 01:39 PM
i have a one wheel on both of mine and i want a 2 wheel one i dont see a prob. with it who cares adn throwing the rider thats what the safety features are for to kill the motor when the rider falls off :laugh::laugh::laugh:

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I have owned 3 belt drives. Ran double and single wheeled sulkies on all of them. No excessive belt wear, no hazards... no reason NOT to use one.

bigjvillelawn
10-11-2008, 02:12 PM
02DURAMAX i have a 2 wheel sulky and it works fine but it needs to be replaced. what brand swivel wheel sulky do you have.

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 02:16 PM
people are stupid

bigjvillelawn
10-11-2008, 02:30 PM
If your talking about me being stupid, I'm not asking if it's ok to use a double wheel sulky. The question is can a double swivel wheel sulky be used with a belt drive WB. I have all ways used reg sulky's.

bigjvillelawn
10-11-2008, 02:44 PM
here is a example of what I'm talking about.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-11-2008, 02:53 PM
For what it's worth, I built one of these myself, and my 36" Toro couldn't handle it at all. The inertia in the turns couldn't be overcome. Lots of burnouts, inability to make sharp turns at anything faster than a crawl...

DT Lawn Care
10-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I use a Turf Rider double swivle on both a Gravely 50 and a Toro 44. No problems.

I do like the Jungle Wheels more, though, because when you turn/turn around with a swivel, your weight momentum can make you overcorrect. Same thing on hills.

But no, I've never had a problem with it on a belt drive.

bigjvillelawn
10-11-2008, 11:54 PM
thanks for the relies

The Captain
10-12-2008, 01:56 AM
I've got a #36" Gravely with a 15hp Kaw. with a set of Jungle Wheels and have no problem. I weigh 280# and those 15 little horses carry the load pretty well.

Roger
10-12-2008, 07:53 AM
From my experience, a two-wheeled castered sulky will not work on a 36" hydro driven machine. Belt or hydro may not make a difference, but the lighter 36" machine, smaller footprint, is not enough machine to handle the two-wheeled caster sulky. The sulky simply puts too much force back into the machine, making control very difficult. I think those who have belt driven machines, and say the two-wheeled sulky works fine have mowers that are larger in size (e.g. 44", 50").

For the same reason, a ProSlide will did not work on my machine either. I used it for a couple of weeks, and concluded the ProSlide created more control difficulties than it was worth.

I now use a BullRider (two-wheeled sulky), but in trailer mode. It has worked well for me for many years. The control of the machine is significantly different when using in trailer mode vs. caster mode. The new BullRider models are not convertible like my older model.

mowisme
10-12-2008, 10:01 AM
I heard the caster ones are harder on machine into corners..I can see where it would be as the machine corners it must and will keep YOU DIRECTLY behind it so it needs to propell you sideways as the machine is going into a corner. A conventional one will be always rolling with the wheel (s) in a forward motion not sideways, because you aren't directly behind it. you'll be taking the corner at more of a angle as it swivels in front of the rider wheel. This is hard to describe..so lets just say in corners..and only in the corners the caster sulky doesn't 'follow' machine as well without putting more stress on it. casters still going North while machine is going into a West direction thus not 'following' as well on corners. Just my 2-cents, and few years back was told about the same so stayed away from using a Lesco one on a Lesco WB I had. Geno

delphied
10-12-2008, 10:02 AM
From my experience, a two-wheeled castered sulky will not work on a 36" hydro driven machine. Belt or hydro may not make a difference, but the lighter 36" machine, smaller footprint, is not enough machine to handle the two-wheeled caster sulky. The sulky simply puts too much force back into the machine, making control very difficult. I think those who have belt driven machines, and say the two-wheeled sulky works fine have mowers that are larger in size (e.g. 44", 50").

For the same reason, a ProSlide will did not work on my machine either. I used it for a couple of weeks, and concluded the ProSlide created more control difficulties than it was worth.

I now use a BullRider (two-wheeled sulky), but in trailer mode. It has worked well for me for many years. The control of the machine is significantly different when using in trailer mode vs. caster mode. The new BullRider models are not convertible like my older model.

My Proslide wasnt working well until I put 20 pounds of weight on the front of the mower. What a difference. I use it on a 48 TTHP. I also havea 44 Toro belt drive that I wouldnt consider using any sulky or Proslide on. They just dont have the guts to do the proper job of pulling and turning without alot of burnouts.

Runner
10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Most belt driven wb's have the adequate belt traction/drive power to efficiently swivel the whole sulky around with a rider on it. There is quite a bit of belt slippage (causing excessive wear) and slowing down because of it. That is why the trailering type sulky is recommended. The main advantage to the solid mount sulkies with the swiveling wheels, is the ability to back up, but with a belt drive, reversing is usually not the mowers strong point, anyway. i hope this helps explain it. And gee, I don't feel dumb! lol