PDA

View Full Version : Up Sizing or Down Sizing What are you plans?

Green Finger
10-11-2008, 07:37 PM
With the uncertain flux in the market and the housing mess. How many of you guys are planning to upsize or downsize.

I know I'm going to get a ztr and proberly hire a part time helper for next year. But I'm going used equipment or making sure everything is paid off during the winter. I am also implementing a new plan.....

PAY AS YOU GO. no monthly billing:weightlifter:

That will keep the cashflow flowing and get rid of the deadbeat customers
Reducing overhead.

What are your future plans.

Flex-Deck
10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I am not changing size, but will need about 60 more acres next year since I will be full time mowing only. We mow 240 acres now, with a three person crew - me on a X595, and the other two on X495's, and to fill up a good 5-6 day week, we need more acres. The only reason it worked so well this year is that I had to spend 8:00 am to about 1:00 pm at the job I am retiring from.
With the ability to run from sunup to dusk every day will mean we need to find more acres.

djchiodo3
10-11-2008, 08:36 PM
(South Florida) I plan on staying the same size. Good advice on paying down debt. Of coarse, I won't turn down any offers for bids if they are in my working area. I sub all tree work out. If I want to generate more cash flow I can start trimming my trees again.

FIRESCOOBY
10-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Staying the same...I hope anyway!! I want to purchase a compact tractor and expand into other things, but I'll probably wait until there is a sign of economic improvement.

I had a chance to purchase a New Holland LS180 (2004) with 200 hours for $10,500 a few weeks ago. I'm already regretting not getting it, just wanted to keep as much money in savings as possible right now. Luckily everything listed below is paid for. I've tried to re-invest as much as possible into the business to pay everything off.

J&R Landscaping
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I've been adding several accounts late in the year right now. Hope to have some more growth before the season is over. Looking to have a employee next season with hopefully some more growth. We'll see what happens!

FIRESCOOBY
10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm going to do some more direct target advertising this winter/ early Spring. Have to be careful though because our second child is due in mid-April (great timing huh). My first priority will be that child and family, so I don't want to load my plate too heavily because that is when I really start ramping up with clean-ups and aerations.

JShe8918
10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I plan on advertising heavily in my area and instill my name into peoples mind so that when spring comes around and they see their grass turning green they know who to call. I want to upsize to about 50-100 yards. I currently run 27.... don't laugh... I live in a small town of 5500. I have the equipment just not the yards...

yard_smart
10-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I plan on advertising heavily in my area and instill my name into peoples mind so that when spring comes around and they see their grass turning green they know who to call. I want to upsize to about 50-100 yards. I currently run 27.... don't laugh... I live in a small town of 5500. I have the equipment just not the yards...

My plans exactly !!!

If you own a business you should never be looking to down size. Businesses are supposed to grow. At what rate they grow is a different entity in its self but they must grow. I have already started on my marketing plan for next year and have about 70% of my marketing budget complete. I do more than just mow so I try to maximize ever dollar out of my customers. I will still bill out monthly because I don't feel like putting up with that accounting head ache every week. I am looking to add more resi yards next year . . . prolly another 20 to 30. Right now I have a city contract and an industrial contract that are grossing close to 2k a month but want to do 75k gross next year (my second year in business) and since lawn care is 42% of my dollars so far this year that means i need to increase my gross dollars on average to $2625.00 per month! i better get to hustling!!!!

Good luck to every one next year

davis45
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM
If all goes as planned we will be adding 2 guys and another truck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so who know. Still taking lawn accounts but going to market big for landscaping and pavers next season. Currently talking to a Real Estate agent about a property forsale to start building a shop this winter and stop running out of my garage.

ed2hess
10-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Surprised you can find anybody that will pay as you go.....must be an older crowd of customers. .

tinman
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
growing. I have gotten a little complacent the past 2 years (not much choice with last years drought) but I am getting hungry again.

Green Finger
10-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Surprised you can find anybody that will pay as you go.....must be an older crowd of customers. .

When you interview them for service. You let them know what day you are coming and inform them to leave the check.

Especially for those who don't want to sign a contract. No Contract equals pay as you go.$$$$:nono:

Kennedy Landscaping
10-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I plan to keep building my business the best way I can. I hope to have many more accounts this time next year.

Lawnut101
10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm trying to grow my business a lot. Right now I'm working on getting all my equipment payed off. Once that is done, I will be buying some more to expand. But it's important not to get into too much debt.

Hawg City Lawns
10-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Im going for straight commercial properties and keeping the easy trim mow blow residential yards and getting rid of the time consuming push mow yards for next year hopefully adding an enclosed trailer, or maybe one of those rebuilt uhaul box trucks

Frontier-Lawn
10-13-2008, 08:52 AM
just mower and trailer will be upsized but still so-lo already did the truck upgrade this year

DaveVB
10-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Most people on here talk yards they need to add, but you talk in acres. Are you doing big acreages or some other type of thing? X595 and 495's are interesting machines, any pictures?

nobagger
10-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Our plans are to try, try again in hiring a decent f/t guy and if my p/t returns, keep him. I've tried for two years now to find a decent f/t crew but no luck. Its really holding us back. So our plans are to expand and NO new equipment purchases and pay down some debt. Luckily our truck and rider only have another year or just over and they are paid off!

shepoutside
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Plan to add one more Mow 'n go truck/crew, bring me up to 5. Wide area mowing will remain the same. Asphalt maintenance will grow next year too.