PDA

View Full Version : New Woods MZ3361G mower!

TomberLawn
10-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I went to the store of a good friend today to just "look" at a couple of EverRide Scorpions he had. I left with a Woods 61" 33hp Generac mower.

I drove a Scorpion around the parking lot and felt a little uncomfortable. I think if I had a whole day to drive it around on different yards, I'd get the hang of it. The main drawback was the 52" deck was not much bigger than my 48" Ferris.

The dealer owner (my friend) lives behind the store and he told me to go mow his yard with the Woods and see what I thought. The Woods is a great mower. It goes 13.5mph and I never bogged the engine, even in thick, damp grass. With no stripe kit, it striped fine. Even my yard, which is not great by any means, had a good stripe after I cut it. The suspension seat rides very well.

Something that I really liked is the deck lift. It seems really insignificant, but after mowing for just 2 minutes, I realized how great it was. I can lift the deck all the way up with the foot pedal, but not latch it in the up position. On my Ferris, I always had to be sure not to lift the deck too high when crossing a driveway or going over a bump because it would latch. With the Woods, I just pick the deck up and drop it back down. Yeah, insignificant, but a noticeable difference.

I wasn't really planning on buying a mower today, but I had been looking at mowers and pricing, planning my next purchase. My dealer offered me a great deal, probably too good to post on here. He said it was a 2008 model year closeout since they had 2009 models coming in, with an $1100 price increase. He had this marked at $8350+ tax. I got it for less than that. Anybody near Oakboro, or even if you have to drive a ways, Oakboro Tractor is the place you need to go.

I'll get some pics of mine soon. Here's a stock photo from the Woods website.

P.S.--Anybody want to buy a Ferris IS1500Z 48" 21hp Kawi with 154 hours? Gator blades, 2 sets of high lifts, and Grass Gobbler/Leaf Gobbler included with the sale. Send me a PM.

old oak lawn
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Its a good looking mower. don't you want to keep the Ferris for small yards or a back up.

TomberLawn
10-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks. No, I have a 33" Cub Cadet and 21" Lawn Boy for really small yards. My dad's JD 345 is available if I need a back up. It's hard to go back to his 54" conventional mower when I have to after using my Ferris. I can't imagine having to go that slow after experiencing this big Woods.

Mowingman
10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
If I am not mistaken, I believe Bobcat is now building the Woods midmount mowers. I think it looks better in the Woods colors though. I always liked my old Bobcat ZTR. That Woods/Bobcat, should give you many years of good service.

corey4671
10-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I had a Woods for a long time..tough old mower. It wasn't like this mower though. This mower looks tough too. Sounds like you got a good deal! Now's the time of year to steal a mower with closeouts.

Mowingman
10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Forgot to mention that your mower is the Bobcat "Predator Pro" model.

LawnMowerKing10
10-11-2008, 10:41 PM
looks alot like a bobcat

Mowingman
10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
looks alot like a bobcat

Woods has not built any of their own ZTR mowers since the mid to late 90's. All are built under contract by other companies.

fastcat
10-11-2008, 10:59 PM
yep looks like a bobcat to me. nice mower.

TomberLawn
10-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, as soon as I looked at it, I thought "Bobcat." I haven't been crazy about Bobcats, but they do seem to make a good mower. I see hundreds of them around here. My university has 2-4 Bobcats (I've seen as many as 2 at a time, but I think I've heard we have 4). I agree with Mowingman, that the Woods colors look nice on this mower.

TomberLawn
10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Here are the pictures I promised. I already put the trailer away, so I had to take the pics inside the shop. The third one is the massive engine. In the last one, you can see the trimmer racks I installed last week.

Sorry the picture quality isn't too good. These were taken with a cheap digital camera.

TomberLawn
10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I dry-washed the mower when I got done mowing today. My dad has this spray that cleans and protects in one application and it works great. This mower is so easy to clean! Everything is so easy to get to. Even the area under the seat and the engine are easy to access and blow out grass or wipe clean and shiny.

ojpent
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
It almost looks like a bob-cat mower but orange!!! How do you like the cut and ride compared to your old Ferris??

02DURAMAX
10-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Those look NICE!!!!!!

TomberLawn
10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
It almost looks like a bob-cat mower but orange!!! How do you like the cut and ride compared to your old Ferris??

Yeah, that's exactly what I said when I saw it in the showroom. The cut and ride are amazing. Even with no stripe kit, it lays down a pretty nice stripe. I'll be mowing a large, thick yard today, so I'll see how well it handles a lot of grass clippings. With the suspension seat and bigger tires, it rides as good or better than my Ferris. And the extra speed is really nice. I was mowing yesterday at what felt like 10mph (the Ferris' top speed), then shoved the levers all the way. It felt like I hit overdrive and threw me back in the seat.

I have to admit, I hadn't been a big fan of Bobcat mowers in the past, but I've seen so many of them doing good work that I had begun to soften. They must be really great mowers if all of them are built as well as this Woods. The Bobcat dealer in Monroe probably sells 300-400 Bobcats a year, so they have to be doing something right. I used to think that Bobcat didn't really have any "unique selling proposition" (marketing term that means they offer something no body else does), but all the little things I notice about my mower really add up to a great machine. Things like component built frames, so if something breaks, it's cheaper and easier to repair; sealed spindles that don't have to be greased; all grease fittings are on the top side of the machine, so no more crawling around hunting or feeling around under the foot platform for a fitting; the foot deck lift does not latch the deck in the up position, so I can raise the deck all the way temporarily for a rock or to cross a driveway, then set it back down without having to unlatch it. Little things, but they make for an easier to operate machine.

TomberLawn
10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I just found out something interesting. A Generac VP said in a press release about their engines that these are designed to be multi-fuel capable. He said they actually were designed to be run on gaseous fuel (propane, natural gas), then configured to run on gasoline. Most manufacturers do it the other way around. I guess if the world runs out of gas, I can convert it to lp or some alternative gaseous fuel and keep on mowing.

Tharrell
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, it's a Bob-Cat. It does look really good too. I wonder if there are any differences between them?
By the way, I don't think prices will rise the way the economy is going.
In fact, there will probably be more consolidations within the mower industry.
Let's all hope and pray the economy picks up and we all can do well in the future. Tony

Razorblades
10-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I said when I saw it in the showroom. The cut and ride are amazing. Even with no stripe kit, it lays down a pretty nice stripe. I'll be mowing a large, thick yard today, so I'll see how well it handles a lot of grass clippings. With the suspension seat and bigger tires, it rides as good or better than my Ferris. And the extra speed is really nice. I was mowing yesterday at what felt like 10mph (the Ferris' top speed), then shoved the levers all the way. It felt like I hit overdrive and threw me back in the seat.

I have to admit, I hadn't been a big fan of Bobcat mowers in the past, but I've seen so many of them doing good work that I had begun to soften. They must be really great mowers if all of them are built as well as this Woods. The Bobcat dealer in Monroe probably sells 300-400 Bobcats a year, so they have to be doing something right. I used to think that Bobcat didn't really have any "unique selling proposition" (marketing term that means they offer something no body else does), but all the little things I notice about my mower really add up to a great machine. Things like component built frames, so if something breaks, it's cheaper and easier to repair; sealed spindles that don't have to be greased; all grease fittings are on the top side of the machine, so no more crawling around hunting or feeling around under the foot platform for a fitting; the foot deck lift does not latch the deck in the up position, so I can raise the deck all the way temporarily for a rock or to cross a driveway, then set it back down without having to unlatch it. Little things, but they make for an easier to operate machine.

Are the gas tanks built different than those on the Bobcat mowers (Predator Pro)? Thanks, Razorblades.

pugs
10-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Thats actually an older model Bobcat. Looks like it still has their old style Disc parking brakes and 5 bolt hubs for the rear wheels using bolts instead of lugs with nuts.

As for the fuel tanks at some point they started using the same fuel tanks on Buntons and Bobcats. The Buntons used to have a larger tank but now they just stuck them all on everything. Looking at the pics looks like this one has the Bunton style tanks that are longer and tapered at the back with a bin/cup holder on the left tank.

Not alot of Bobcat talk on the web...but the ones that use them know they are great machines. Honestly I put them up against anyone out there.

pugs
10-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is a pic of the current Bobcat tanks:

http://www.littlewonder.com/thumb2.asp?width=700&path=D:\WebSiteRoot\Littlewonder.com\pr-pdf\images\8290BCZT-PP-S-RP-004.jpg

Green Finger
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Congrats on your new mower. Woods
Don't forget to list your Ferris on the equipment section.

MONTE
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Does your mower have the 12cc pumps or the 16cc pumps?

TomberLawn
10-20-2008, 11:23 PM
It's got 16cc pumps.

I don't really know about the gas tanks, razor. They look like the Bobcat tanks. In fact, that's what gave it away when I first saw it.

S L C
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I dry-washed the mower when I got done mowing today. My dad has this spray that cleans and protects in one application and it works great. This mower is so easy to clean! Everything is so easy to get to. Even the area under the seat and the engine are easy to access and blow out grass or wipe clean and shiny.

Yeah!!!!!!! My DADDY this, my DADDY that.... wtf :hammerhead::hammerhead:

TomberLawn
10-20-2008, 11:32 PM
What are you talking about, SLC? This mower is financed in my name, I'm making the payments. What's your beef? I'm still in college and live at home, so dad's car cleaning stuff is accessible. If your dad isn't/wasn't able to help you get established, then I'm sorry. But don't rag me for having a dad who cares and is able to help.

MONTE
10-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Wish I could see one in person I think the colors are much nicer than bobcat!

Sammy
10-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Woods has not built any of their own ZTR mowers since the mid to late 90's. All are built under contract by other companies.
Woods never built their own mower's.
Woods had them built under contract by Grasshopper.
After Woods and Grasshopper parted ways, Gravely started makeing the outfront for Woods.

davidcalhoun
10-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I am pretty sure Jacobsen had a short stint in-between Grasshopper and Gravely (for building the frontmount power units - Woods still put their own frontmount decks on.).

Woods had Encore make the frontmount power units (to go with their decks) the last year or so.

Mowingman
10-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Well, I was told that right after they parted ways with Grasshopper, they tried to build their own mowers. Grasshopper put a stop to that, due to patent infringements in the Woods design. I think Grasshopper might have got a nice settlement from Woods, and Woods had to halt production of those mowers. After that, Woods farmed out all production. Anyway, that was what I have been told.

Woods never built their own mower's.
Woods had them built under contract by Grasshopper.
After Woods and Grasshopper parted ways, Gravely started makeing the outfront for Woods.

puppypaws
10-21-2008, 10:20 PM
What are you talking about, SLC? This mower is financed in my name, I'm making the payments. What's your beef? I'm still in college and live at home, so dad's car cleaning stuff is accessible. If your dad isn't/wasn't able to help you get established, then I'm sorry. But don't rag me for having a dad who cares and is able to help.

He is just pulling your chain to see if you rattle. "SLC" is probably feeling a little down because no one would tell him where his daddy lived. You need to remember, in Wisconsin they breed large numbers of Holsteins!

S L C
10-21-2008, 11:32 PM
He is just pulling your chain to see if you rattle. "SLC" is probably feeling a little down because no one would tell him where his daddy lived. You need to remember, in Wisconsin they breed large numbers of Holsteins!

Trust me PUPPY.... I be aigght.... did about 7 hundy's of clean-ups today!!!! First day of the leaf deal for me... and no, DADDY didn't pay for it!!! Get it?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh wait, my cost was the 80 for a helper w/o job and the fitty for the winterizer...... :weightlifter::weightlifter: Puppy?? :sleeping:

nosparkplugs
10-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Well, I went to the store of a good friend today to just "look" at a couple of EverRide Scorpions he had. I left with a Woods 61" 33hp Generac mower.

I drove a Scorpion around the parking lot and felt a little uncomfortable. I think if I had a whole day to drive it around on different yards, I'd get the hang of it. The main drawback was the 52" deck was not much bigger than my 48" Ferris.

The dealer owner (my friend) lives behind the store and he told me to go mow his yard with the Woods and see what I thought. The Woods is a great mower. It goes 13.5mph and I never bogged the engine, even in thick, damp grass. With no stripe kit, it striped fine. Even my yard, which is not great by any means, had a good stripe after I cut it. The suspension seat rides very well.

Something that I really liked is the deck lift. It seems really insignificant, but after mowing for just 2 minutes, I realized how great it was. I can lift the deck all the way up with the foot pedal, but not latch it in the up position. On my Ferris, I always had to be sure not to lift the deck too high when crossing a driveway or going over a bump because it would latch. With the Woods, I just pick the deck up and drop it back down. Yeah, insignificant, but a noticeable difference.

I wasn't really planning on buying a mower today, but I had been looking at mowers and pricing, planning my next purchase. My dealer offered me a great deal, probably too good to post on here. He said it was a 2008 model year closeout since they had 2009 models coming in, with an $1100 price increase. He had this marked at $8350+ tax. I got it for less than that. Anybody near Oakboro, or even if you have to drive a ways, Oakboro Tractor is the place you need to go.

I'll get some pics of mine soon. Here's a stock photo from the Woods website.

P.S.--Anybody want to buy a Ferris IS1500Z 48" 21hp Kawi with 154 hours? Gator blades, 2 sets of high lifts, and Grass Gobbler/Leaf Gobbler included with the sale. Send me a PM.

Woods makes some tough machines, the 33hp Big Block Generac:cool2:, that will be a nice engine, easy to maintain Post some pictures, engine too. Like I have said their are some great mowers out their for some competetative prices, and have some extra cash in your pocket who cares who makes them :usflag:

puppypaws
10-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Trust me PUPPY.... I be aigght.... did about 7 hundy's of clean-ups today!!!! First day of the leaf deal for me... and no, DADDY didn't pay for it!!! Get it?? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh wait, my cost was the 80 for a helper w/o job and the fitty for the winterizer...... :weightlifter::weightlifter: Puppy?? :sleeping:

That is great, this is what it looks like out my front door, just glad God blessed me to live in an area with beautiful weather year round. It would be rather depressing for me to live in a state with 6 months of winter. I guess you could say, it is pretty as a picture where I live.

I actually saw pictures of snow once, and it looked interesting, I do prefer it stay in the pictures and not where I need deal with the nasty white stuff.

I was told once by an older gentleman that if you live in Wisconsin, die and go to h*ll, for each year you lived in Wisconsin, they took 5 years off your time to be spent in the down under.

I just never realized it was quiet that bad, never been there and certainly don't won't to go.

WREBELMACHINE
10-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I was told today that woods does not offer the generac engine anymore! Is this true?

Mowingman
10-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Well, the Woods website still shows several ZTR's with the Generac engine.