PDA

View Full Version : walker MT-GHS...will it fit?

Squirter
10-11-2008, 11:28 PM
i'm thinking of buying a 2008 walker MT-GHS with a 48" deck. does anybody know if this mower will fit in the bed of my 2008 GMC Canyon, extended cab? if anybody has the chevy equivalent, the bed size is the same.

please don't ask why...just tell me if it will fit, or NOT!!! from the measurements i'm seeing, i think it will fit (backed in with the 48" deck folded in the "up" position.

also, with the 26hp EFI, will i find this to be MORE than adequate to run the various attachments??? thanks!!!

bakerc8
10-11-2008, 11:59 PM
it will suck putting in and out but i dont have one

GrassmasterB
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
how many inches are there between the wheel wells? with the low pro tires you would need about 43'' for it to fit. with the deck tilted up the beds probably long enough. also you would probably need some pretty long ramps as walkers aren't known for their ground clearance. and with the tailgate higher than most trailers it might hang up.

ALC-GregH
10-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I have to ask, why are you putting it in the back of a truck? Is that how you plan on transporting it to each job? If so, you should really look for a cheap trailer as well.

Jason Rose
10-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Just guessing, you are buying it from a good distance from your house and don't wan't to have to trailer it?

I agree, getting ramps long enough, or using normal ones if you can back into a ditch to load and unload. Also, don't forget, normal ATV ramps wont work! You will have to have 3, or a solid ramp because of the tail wheel(s). The ramps will need to be pretty stout too, with the deck I think the Walker weighs over 1,200 lbs.

The 26 EFI will pretty much run every deck yo want to throw on it. My 23hp. MT dosn't even work with the 52" mulch/discharge deck on it. (I usually use the 48" GHS, and it dosn't even know it's there even cutting off 5").

doubleedge
10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
26 efi may be overkill for a 48" deck. By all means, get as big as you can afford. If you find yourself short on money though, the 23 hp model will work very well. That extra hp may be nice while using a snowblower or other front mount attachment, however.

BarrFarms
10-12-2008, 12:45 PM
It should fit. I reccomend a set of 5' folding ramps, they fold in the middle and are about as wide as your tailgate. I bought mine from my local atv dealer.

Mowingman
10-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Five foot ramps will not be near long enough. You will need a minimum of 8', and even then, you may have problems with clearance over the lip of the tailgate where the ramps are resting. If you can back the rear of the truck into a dip or other low area, the ramp angle will not be nearly as steep.

Squirter
10-12-2008, 01:20 PM
The overall length of the bed is 6'. It is 52" wide. There is 42" between the wheel wells.

There is 2' from the wheel wells to the tail gate. Backing the MT-GHS into the bed, I thought the drive wheels on the Walker and a 48" deck (folded in the up position) would sit from the wheel wells to the tail gate opening without hanging over the bed/bumper. If need be, and the deck would hang over the edge of the bed, I could always use straps hooked to the deck with the other end hooked to the tractor or those cargo tie-down hooks located in the bed of the truck.

I guess the question is, what is the distance from the tractor wheels to the folded-up deck?

JShe8918
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
i have seen an MT in the bed of a chevrolet S10... If that helps any.

truthnlife13
10-12-2008, 04:30 PM
I dropped a 1999 48 " MT25GHS in the back of a dodge ram extended cab short bed. WIth the deck folded up it fit perfectly. We dropped it in with a Kubota tractor. It was 4 hours one way and I didnt want to tow the trailer

shade tree landscaping
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
if you do get it into the bed of the truck, would love to see pics!!

Squirter
10-13-2008, 06:46 AM
If the MT-GHS will fit in the bed of a chevy S10, it's got to fit in my Canyon. I can't believe someone here on lawnsite hasn't tried to put one of these mowers in the bed of a Colorado/Canyon.

Anybody seen a good illustration of various dimensions for a Walker MT-GHS?

truthnlife13
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
on my dodge ram extended cab it fit exactly with the deck up and the tailgate closed. Did it 2 days ago.

Squirter
10-13-2008, 10:08 AM
not up my dodge's...but i think the ram is a full sized pick-up. i believe the dodge dakota would be more like the size of my gmc canyon...or chevy colorado.

lawnproslawncare
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM
It fit in the back of my chev 2500....barely!