PDA

View Full Version : Need assistence from you toro guys

Grass Happens
10-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Disclaimer: I have never been a big fan of toro in the past, and even less since working with them at my part time job over the last season.
That being said, I found a 2001 z137 I think? Its a 44" 17hp kaw at my local dealer. Smaller, but similar to the 2000 z153 I use at the aforementioned job. The Z153 has 2000 hrs-ish (the hour meter is rather intermittent), a weak hydro pump and it cuts like royal dog poop. most of those problems could be attributed to the poor maintence it has recieved.
Anyways, the z something or other I'm looking at has just under 1200 hours, and runs well. I have yet to mow or drive it.
My question is do those SFS decks normally cut well? I'm mowing KBG ~3". Are there any problems or issues that those mowers had? It was owned by the city for doing their small areas. I know the dealer from when I worked for a competing dealer, and has never been anything but nice. Overall the mower is in ok shape. Tires have decent tread and the body is what you would imagine, not overly worn, but used. Seat is in nice shape, and of course the mower has been serviced, so the fluids tell no story.
So, in closing,
What issues did these mowers have?
Does the 44" SFS cut well in KBG lawns at 3~ish inches
what would you pay?
I relaize that last question is iffy, sight unseen, but a range for a good running and decent driving mower with average wear will suffice.
Thanks

slamjamrockinman
10-12-2008, 01:50 AM
I own a 44 hydro with the sfs deck. The cut is fine and it disperses pretty well. But the clippings are not grinded up into very small pieces. the only time I have run into this problem is in really long and thick grass. I just double cut and it takes care of the problem. I run high lifts on mine and they cut pretty good, but I have heard gators cut decent also. If you have any other questions let me know. Also, run a search on this topic, it has been discussed a lot.

Grass Happens
10-12-2008, 01:53 AM
could you tell me the toro Z number? i thought it was a Z137, But i cant find anything on the search function, and 100,000 toro z-turn posts is a little much to comb through.
Thanks