PDA

View Full Version : ZTR fuel problems

mike6633
10-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Lately I can only run my Grasshopper for about an hour or less and then it starts cutting out, like it is running out of gas. It will still run but barley. It looks like the fuel filter goes empty, but there is just enough gas to keep it barley running. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the fuel pressure, or fuel pump? can anyone please help?

PLM-1
10-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Which model? Kohler or Kubota?

Wittapp
10-12-2008, 12:41 AM
have you changed the fuel filter and changed or cleaned the lines?

ixlr8
10-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Could it be something as simple as a clog in the fuel tank cap vent?

heather lawn sp
10-12-2008, 09:06 AM
1 If lines are old , possible cracks in intake line allowing air to enter.
2 Possible water contamination of fuel system. completelydrain it ,dry it and re-assemble with clean fuel

heather lawn sp
10-12-2008, 09:07 AM
1 If lines are old , possible cracks in intake line allowing air to enter.
2 Possible water contamination of fuel system. completely drain it ,dry it and re-assemble with clean fuel

Allens LawnCare
10-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I had an issue like that earlier this year...ended up being a silinoid that screws into the carb...not too sure but the guy said it has a magnet that when it spins it draws gas from the tank...Cost $100 to fix

mike6633
10-12-2008, 03:29 PM
the model is a 729, and it has a Kubota motor. we changed the fuel filter early this season but haven't changed the fuel lines, the mower is only a couple of years old though, but I guess it's worth a shot. and I might take a look at that silinoid. thanks for all the responses, if you have any other suggestions let me know.

PLM-1
10-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Call Rusty, isn't it under warranty?

mike6633
10-12-2008, 06:12 PM
we took it to rusty but he couldn't fix it, he gave it back to us said that fuel pumps can't go bad.

AmsoilPower
10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
we took it to rusty but he couldn't fix it, he gave it back to us said that fuel pumps can't go bad.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Are you serious???? We have seen many in-line electric fuel pumps on the Kubotas shoot crap. Another big problem we have had this year has been associated w/ the huge amount of rain here in central Illinois. We have had a huge problem w/ water in the fuels, coming straight from the stations. When the paper fuel filters get water soaked = no fuel flow. I suggest replacing the filters first then go from there.

dnltractor
10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
that was my first thought was water in the fuel , that is exactly how my kohler runs when water gets in the fuel , it will run but like it doesn't have any power try draining the bowl on the crab if you can and catch it in a cup to look for water , and it won't hurt to add a bottle of fuel stabilizer to remove the water if their is any

Ridin' Around
10-12-2008, 07:54 PM
I have seen some Bio Diesel fuels clog filters quickly as well.

PLM-1
10-13-2008, 02:58 AM

Are you sure you heard him right?! Rusty is one of the top Grasshopper mechanics, call GH HQ and ask Leon! I think I might remember him talking about your mower. Is yours the one that is parked under the over-pass for storage and not inside?

He just put a new fuel pump on his brothers 928 a few weeks ago so they do fail.

N.TX
10-13-2008, 03:00 AM
I had the same problem the last couple of months. The only thing i could do is run sea foam in the gas....that helped some but what helped more is disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel filter and sucking straight sea foam into the fuel filter. I did that twice and havent had anymore problems in the last 20 hrs or so. I bought my mower earlier this season and it only has 300 hrs on it.

Turf Dawg
10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
One more thing to check would be for something inside the tank. I had one do the same thing last year. Someone had put a handful or two of grass clippings in the tank {mowingman can verify this}. I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump before they found the clippings. It would run great then starve for fuel, but if you killed it for a bit it would start running fine again. This is why I thought the pump was bad.

Ford850
10-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Your mower has 2 fuel filters doesn't it? I think it has the prefilter, and the main fuel filter with cartridge. I'd drain the tank as suggested and replace both filters.