PDA

View Full Version : DIscharge deck on a Walker, what about the blower?

Jason Rose
10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Ok, I bought a 52" discharge/mulching deck for my 23hp. MT-GHS Walker, but I don't like the blower running open all the time when I'm using this deck.

I bought a "plug" for the blower at my Walker dealer for a whole 5 bucks, but I think it's not a "walker" part because it was orange and pretty thin flexiable plastic. Needless to say it got sucked thru the blower the second time I used it. (This dealer is bad about selling nothing but aftermarket parts for some reason)

I have seen the blower lockout deal they have, but how much $$ is that kit, and is it something that's fairly easy to install? I asked about this at the dealer too, but the counter guy couldn't even find it in the price book.

As for the deck, I bought it used, complete with the mulch baffle and several sets of mulching kit blades. It mulches leaves VERY WELL, and for early fall mowing (right now) I'd use it exclusively except I have 5 or 6, 4 foot gates I have to get through, and the 52" won't fit obviously...

Turf Dawg
10-12-2008, 11:46 AM
What do you not like about the blower being open? I have the 42" mulching deck that I hardly use {would like to get rid of it} but when I do use it the blower being open really does not bother me. I might get a gallon or two of stuff in the hopper if I run it a couple of hours but I do not think it hurts to run it open. I do think they say the lock-out will give you alittle more power since you are not running the blower. Just one mans opinion.

johnnyusa
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd like to know more about the lockout kit, If you get a part # ,Pls. post.? was wondering if you just remove the blower belt, seems easy?

Jason Rose
10-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Just looking at the Walker site, the lockout kit is not even on there... I've seen it in person this last winter on someone elses machine, but I dont recall how long ago he had got it. Maybe they don't have it anymore?

wallzwallz
10-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I sucked the little orange plug pos thru every time I used it. I just remove the belt now. I would like the lockout kit also, just haven't had time to look into it.

tomo
10-12-2008, 04:01 PM
hello ,
blower lock out kit is a good idea
far easier than removing belt
lock out kit only works with the later multi groove blower pulleys
Yes there is a pulley upgrade kit also
1-2 hrs install for the kit
extra if pulleys need doing

AS WITH MANY PARTS FROM WALKER FINDING PART NUMBERS CAN BE DIFFICULT AND TYPICALLY OCCURS WHEN LOOKING FOR UPGRADED /OPTIONAL PARTS

cONTACT WALKER FACTORY MANY OF THE ABOVE PARTS ARE NOT LISTED IN THE DEALER BOOKS

tomo:waving:

Jason Rose
10-12-2008, 04:24 PM
This is an '08 Walker, so no need to upgrade the belt/pulley. I'll try to call Walker directly tomorrow, if I have time between all the other crap I need to get done! I didn't know consumers could actually deal directly with Walker, thought you had to ask the dealer who then calls the distributor, who then calls the factory.... That chain of command crap.

But... Unless I talk direct to the owner of my Walker dealer I wasn't getting anywhere with the counter help, they were looking at the no catch deflector and telling me that's what I needed, LOL!

ed2hess
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Maybe I am missing something but the belt on my walker blower pops right off and I can't image why the blower needs a cover on it. Or when you was using the Walker with the implements that they have and can't figure out how to take the beltoff the blower.

JLWC
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
hay turf dog is that the newer 42 mulching deck or the 4 blade one

wallzwallz
10-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Ed, I believe the idea of the plug was to "lockout" the blower by cutting air to it, or simulating a clog which unloads the blower. It works until it sucks thru. The belt is easy to take off and on but not convenient for multiple sd to ghs decks changes in a day.

Turf Dawg
10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
hay turf dog is that the newer 42 mulching deck or the 4 blade one

It is the four blade one.

tomo
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
This is an '08 Walker, so no need to upgrade the belt/pulley. I'll try to call Walker directly tomorrow, if I have time between all the other crap I need to get done! I didn't know consumers could actually deal directly with Walker, thought you had to ask the dealer who then calls the distributor, who then calls the factory.... That chain of command crap.

But... Unless I talk direct to the owner of my Walker dealer I wasn't getting anywhere with the counter help, they were looking at the no catch deflector and telling me that's what I needed, LOL!

hi , the blower lock out kit is on the walker web site under options or accesories
tomo:waving:

dave k
10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I have the lock out on my mower and love it, had it several years and from what my mechanic said it wasn't as easy as Walker said it would be to install, it took him quite a while, I still use the plug as well just to keep the clippings out.