PDA

View Full Version : Pro-slide Vs. Stander

jbell36
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm having trouble deciding what the best 36" decision would be...

36" wright stander

36" toro walk behind (hydro, floating deck) with a pro-slide

the problem is i want a walk-behind so we can use it for hills when we can't use our ztr's...would a walk-behind with a pro-slide be as productive as a stander in back yards?

ericmcj31
10-12-2008, 12:04 PM
definately. Where the wright would be better is if there are a lot of paved areas. The pro-slide will go on paved areas, but it wears it out much quicker. I love the pro-slide, though, b/c whenever you 're not using it, it automatically tucks itself underneath the machine so you can walk whenever needed. I would think the toro would hold a hill better than the wright b/c you can easily get off and walk. Just be sure you get a big enough motor so it can pull you efficiently for years on end. I would prob. get the biggest motor that comes on it just for that reason. Good luck.

MileHigh
10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I have a 36" eXmark viking, dual hydro, sulky. Great mower, but I kick myself every time I see a Wright Stander on some trailer or lawn...THOSE THINGS ARE BAD A$$.

PTP
10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
I am fairly certain that any hill that can be mowed with a walk behind can also be mowed with a Stander. Somebody might prove me wrong but I have gone about 40 degrees with mine.

ericmcj31
10-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know, as I don't nor have ever used a stander, but the issue with the pro-slide and the velkes are when going up a hill, they raise up-I think they make a weight kit for them to counter-act the front end, but can't speak for the stander.

H&H Lawn Service
10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a 44" Toro w/ 15hp Kaw w/ a Proslide. It's a great mower and I love the stripes. On most hills of significace I have to step off and walk. The only downside is it takes up a lot of room on the trailer compared to what a stander would.

dishboy
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
I did not find a proslide could be used effectively on shallow rooted turf or wet ground with my TTHP in small areas as the turf would tear on the zero turns due to the added weight of the rider on the proslide. Wright would be a better choice in these areas IMO.

delphied
10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I HAVE A 48 TTHP WITH PROSLIDE. Now I want a Stander instead. It just doesnt cut the mustard for me. A stander would be faster speedwise and way easier on the hands and body.I wish I wasnt saddled with this TTHP but it was the poor mans solution to a mower for hills and small lots. It compliments my Exmark 66 well but a Wright or Toro stander would be the ticket.

A-Land
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
As far as productivity, you are only bound by how fast the machines can go. I wouldn't expect that you would be able to mow with a stander too much faster than a walkbehind with proslide.

Obviously the walkbehind will be better on any steep hills, but don't think you are going to be able to use the proslide all the time on hills.

If you or your employees weigh a lot, you may have to put some weight on the front of that toro. The heavier the deck is (cough... cough... Scag...) the less problems that will give you.

If you don't have many hills, the stander will take up less space and be more efficient. If you need a walkbehind for some steep hills, go with that and then add the proslide for flexibility.

jbell36
10-13-2008, 08:11 PM
As far as productivity, you are only bound by how fast the machines can go. I wouldn't expect that you would be able to mow with a stander too much faster than a walkbehind with proslide.

Obviously the walkbehind will be better on any steep hills, but don't think you are going to be able to use the proslide all the time on hills.

If you or your employees weigh a lot, you may have to put some weight on the front of that toro. The heavier the deck is (cough... cough... Scag...) the less problems that will give you.

If you don't have many hills, the stander will take up less space and be more efficient. If you need a walkbehind for some steep hills, go with that and then add the proslide for flexibility.

that's pretty much how i feel...considering i am getting this machine mainly for backyards but also as a backup for hills when we can't use our big machines...and i don't care if we have to step off of the pro-slide to mow a hill, that's not a problem, that would just be lazy if u were bitching about that...we also don't have a wright dealer in town, it's only 25 minutes away but still, inconvenient...i think i'm gonna go with a toro 36" walk-behind, $5700 is kind of steep but then again it's one of the best machines on the market, thanks for the replies...

A-Land
10-13-2008, 08:44 PM
that's pretty much how i feel...considering i am getting this machine mainly for backyards but also as a backup for hills when we can't use our big machines...and i don't care if we have to step off of the pro-slide to mow a hill, that's not a problem, that would just be lazy if u were bitching about that...we also don't have a wright dealer in town, it's only 25 minutes away but still, inconvenient...i think i'm gonna go with a toro 36" walk-behind, $5700 is kind of steep but then again it's one of the best machines on the market, thanks for the replies...

Yeah that's quite a bit, but I bet that the stander is even more...

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 08:45 PM
does anybody know if a 15hp Kaw is enough for a 36" stander???? I dont want to buy a new one if the 15hp is not enough.

A-Land
10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
does anybody know if a 15hp Kaw is enough for a 36" stander???? I dont want to buy a new one if the 15hp is not enough.

That should be okay, but may be a little low. More is always better.... :weightlifter:

KCfireman
10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
That should be okay, but may be a little low. More is always better.... :weightlifter:very true. But, there is an LCO here in KC that is selling his 2008 36" Stander w/ 22 hrs on it w/ the 15hp and he wants somehwere around $3800 for it. Good buy?

atasteofnature
10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
i looked into the ferris 36" mower to get start out with because i do have hills and I went to a dearler that has both ferris and wright and the salesman was trying to sell me on the wright but then when he told me that the ferris would be around $2,800 and the wright was around $6,200 and i then knew my decision. Just starting out i need to save pennies where i can. Good luck with everything. Couldn't you demo each to see which one would help you out on your yards?

A-Land
10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
very true. But, there is an LCO here in KC that is selling his 2008 36" Stander w/ 22 hrs on it w/ the 15hp and he wants somehwere around $3800 for it. Good buy?

Decent, but a larger engine would be better. Good price on it.

Roger
10-13-2008, 11:05 PM
The initial post makes a big assumption, namely that the 36" w/b mower will support a ProSlide. In my experience, this is not the case. I have a 36" Exmark Viking, hydro drive. I bought a ProSlide, and it just did not work. The machine is too light and has too small of footprint to support a ProSlide. The concept is great, and it functioned well, but I could not handle the machine. There was some wheel slip. The front is pretty light already, and dragging the ProSlide was too much.

Remember, with the ProSlide, the unit on which you stand is fixed with respect to the machine. While standing on the slider, you have no leverage to control the direction of the machine. You are only left with the hydro controls to maintain the direction. With some wheel slip, and a narrow footprint, there was insufficient leverage to have the machine under control

I had used a single-wheeled Velke before (didn't like the single line down the middle --> bought the ProSlide). With a trailer type sulky, the operator has leverage with respect to the mower, leverage from the ground. But, with the slider, the leverage is gone. Any side to side force exerted on the handles is merely pushing "against one's self."

After I dumped the ProSlide, I bought a convertible BullRider two-wheeled sulky. I intended to use it in caster mode. In this mode, it is fixed to the machine, and the wheels pivot on caster spindles (similar to the front wheels on the mower). But, I quickly learned the same control problem was happening with the BullRider. The narrow footprint of the drive wheels is simply not enough to gain leverage to control the machine. I switched the BullRider to trailer mode, and have used it this way for years. In trailer mode, I have leverage to the handles of the mower.

As many posts that have been made on LS that speak highly of the ProSlide, I think I've never found one using a 36" mower. Everybody who is satisfied is using a 44", 48", 52" or wider mower. Having a heavier mower, plus having a wider stance with the drive wheels apparently makes a large difference.

Therefore, my advice about a choice of Stander or w/b with ProSlide -- you have no choice. The Stander is the only way to go.

FYI, my w/b is now finishing season #11 and is getting tired. I may seriously consider replacing with a Stander next season.

Roger
10-13-2008, 11:13 PM
As far as productivity, you are only bound by how fast the machines can go. ...

I'm not sure what you mean, "... as fast as the machines can go." If you mean the maximum ground speed by where the selector lever is positioned, I would have to disagree. I have always found the speed of the machine is governed by how well I can control the machine, even when riding a sulky. My Exmark has speed settings on the hydro ground speed lever of 1 through 6. Rarely do I have it to position #4, unless I'm in transport on the street or parking lot. The maximum setting I use most often is around #3. The ground on my lawns is simply too uneven, too rough, or has slopes that will never support a speed setting of #5 or #6.

I have a John Deere 717A, ZTR as well. I have only one property, with a stretch of about 100 feet where I have the ground control levers near the maximum position. I think the speed is about 6 mph. Usually, my maximum speed is probably closer to 4 mph. I want to have complete control of my machine at all times.

I only laugh at the threads that discuss whether a ZTR can mow at 9 mph, or 12 mph. I would only consider cutting grass in the cracks in the parking lots at those speeds, never a turf.

delphied
10-13-2008, 11:56 PM

And thats 5700 + over 400 for the Proslide shipped. I dont know why I am wasting any more time on this since your mind is already made up but you are making a big mistake IMHO. I know that I did by getting a TTHP rather than a stand on unit. I demoed the standers and believe me, hands down better than a WB.

A-Land
10-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, "... as fast as the machines can go." If you mean the maximum ground speed by where the selector lever is positioned, I would have to disagree. I have always found the speed of the machine is governed by how well I can control the machine, even when riding a sulky. My Exmark has speed settings on the hydro ground speed lever of 1 through 6. Rarely do I have it to position #4, unless I'm in transport on the street or parking lot. The maximum setting I use most often is around #3. The ground on my lawns is simply too uneven, too rough, or has slopes that will never support a speed setting of #5 or #6.

I have a John Deere 717A, ZTR as well. I have only one property, with a stretch of about 100 feet where I have the ground control levers near the maximum position. I think the speed is about 6 mph. Usually, my maximum speed is probably closer to 4 mph. I want to have complete control of my machine at all times.

I only laugh at the threads that discuss whether a ZTR can mow at 9 mph, or 12 mph. I would only consider cutting grass in the cracks in the parking lots at those speeds, never a turf.

Hmm maybe it is because you have a smaller machine.

My 48" Scag SWZU is always has the hydros set to full speed. The only time I slow down is if I'm on my lawn (difficult to mow) or I'm bagging leaves or something. Otherwise, it's full speed ahead :laugh:

My scag is a tank tho, it pulls my fat a$$ just fine :cool2:

jbell36
10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
no my mind isn't made up, i'm just leaning towards a WB...not gonna make a purchase until next season, although if i do go with wright i wouldn't mind getting that seasonal discount, it's over $1000 off, seems a little unreal but i hear it's no bullshit...

CFB
10-14-2008, 01:17 AM
proslide you cannot reverse? And does it swing around or is it fixed lposition like trutrak?

delphied
10-14-2008, 08:25 AM
proslide you cannot reverse? And does it swing around or is it fixed lposition like trutrak?

Cannot reverse it or go down steep hills. It is fixed position like the Tru Trak. It saves some walking but its just not even a contest between it and a Stand on unit.

brucec32
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Be sure you're satisfied with the Wright cut before you choose it over a machine like a Turf Tracer with a proslide. Reviews are definitely mixed on cut quality.

naturescape
11-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Funny how no one's mentioned ride quality between a stander and a Proslide. No comparison, the Proslide wins, riding it all day long, hands down. And I've demoed standers, so I can compare.

I've had the Proslide on 2 different 36" Exmarks with not one problem. But i weigh under 150.

scagdude
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
go with the stander hands down.

STIHL GUY
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
im pretty sure that standers hold hills pretty well. i would go with one of thise if i were you

TNT LawnCare Inc.
11-02-2008, 11:32 PM
We use nothing but standers,they hold hills quit well. over 5500 for a 36 inch WB are you crazy :hammerhead: You can get the 36 Wright stander for 5100 on there seasonal buying plans no bull ! The stander leaves a pretty good cut. The TTHP 36 will leave probab;y a better cut.

We used to use nothing but WB'S , i telling you guys the amount of productivity increase is amazing over the WB unit. Idid several different time studies with the Stander and WB with sulke. The stander was as high as 40% more faster the a WB.

Even when i used a 48 WB mower the 36 in. stander was still 20 % faster.

WB have there place on very steep hills,but here we dont encounter them that much. I wont ever be going back to WB mowers with sulke or proslide's