PDA

View Full Version : Too late to powerseed in ct?

WETSCAPE
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
I had put this post perhaps in the wrong area. Is it too late to powerseed in CT at this point?

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 09:12 PM
It's awful close.... and you would need a warm fall for best results. On LI, my cut off date is Oct 15.... you are a zone colder than me.... close call.

WETSCAPE
10-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks going to give it a try....Lets hope I am not just putting seed down for the birds..
What side of the isle of long are you on?

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Take a pin... put it in the center of the Isle of Long... and that's about where I am. Hicksville, to be specific. I think you can still get away with it, but results might not be as good if it were done 2 weeks ago. Still, it's better than trying to do a spring seeding.

WETSCAPE
10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I Have family in Woodbury. I hate that darn LIE (expressway my arse)! Thanks again!!!

SKIQUATTRO
10-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Locust Valley, Long Island here......I aerated/seeded/fert about 2 wks ago.....when should i do another fert application? what is left to do before winter sets in?

Whitey4
10-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Locust Valley, Long Island here......I aerated/seeded/fert about 2 wks ago.....when should i do another fert application? what is left to do before winter sets in?

You used a starter fert? that will probably suffice for a winterization fert app.

I'd hit it with some iron in March, for an early green up and a combo crabbgrass pre-M with fert in April... if the lawn had a lot of CB this year, use another CB pre-M in late June to July 1... just the pre-M, no fert.

SKIQUATTRO
03-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I forgot to aerate in the fall...did it the fall before that....now its March 26 2010...dont know if should aerate or powerseed....i dont have a big yard, gets traffic from kids playing on it all summer, never powerseeded and have had issues grass taking in spots..had soil tested, its in range....i'm leaning towards powerseeding...any help appreciated as to seed, fert to use this time of year...North Shore Long Island.

tombo82685
03-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Well if your going to seed in spring, then you can't put down crabgrass control unless the crabgrass control has siduron in it. If it doesn't and your not putting down a crabgrass control, then a starter fertilizer would be best to help the new seedlings root. Not sure on how suny or shady the area your seeding is. In general a mix of tall, and fine fescues, with bluegrass and ryegrass is the ebst mix. Sunlight will determine which grass should have a higher percent in the bag.

sd night train
04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
we have a dead area in our lawn from the dogs peeing there all winter...what is recommended? It is a partial shade area...about 50/50