PDA

View Full Version : More help needed

StBalor
10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I got yet another call for a comercial property. grass cutting part was easy to figure out ( little less then 1 acre ) but he also wants mulch and annuals re-applied twice a year and all shrubs trimmed twice a year.
I have never had a job where i needed to plant annuals.
there are 2 long flower beds approx. 3' wide by 120' long. Plants in middle of bed consist of lilies and salvia. Customer wants annuals around both sides of the long beds. what kind of annuals would you use and how far apart do they need to be?
mulch needed is 6 yards, shrubs to be pruned 30 small shrubs and 12 small trees that will need to be pruned.
I was thinking of charging 600.00 for above + price of annuals
grass cutting will be 70.00 per cut, trash pick-up in parking lot included.

Now, would you guys put all this in 1 monthly price or charge the mulching, pruning and annuals seperatly?

Need to submit bid by tomorrow evening, Please, helpful input only.

ALC-GregH
10-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I've never had to do it yet but I'd bid it as a whole and divide it by 12. Figure how many cuts, what you want for the shrub and tree trimming, and it sounds like you already have a handle on the mulch so figure that price in and add everything up. Again, divide it by 12 to get your monthly figure. Get it all in writing with a contract and submit it.

Florida Gardener
10-12-2008, 05:34 PM
here's what I would do:
Charge for the cutting and pruning together as a monthly price. For example, if you were to charge $200 twice a year to prune the shrubs, that would be $400/year. Divide that by 12 and add that to the monthly cutting. This is better for 2 reasons. 1)It's broken up monthly and someone will be "happier" paying an extra 15$/month than $200/twice a year. 2)The hedges/shrubs/etc. will always look good b/c you will be on top of it monthly.

Def. leave the annuals/mulch as a separate charge.

good luck my man!

ALC-GregH
10-12-2008, 05:37 PM
If he has to mess with the shrubs more then twice, his profit is out the window. By your example he's doing the shrubs each month for only $15.

ed2hess
10-12-2008, 05:43 PM
Normally you charge for flowers by the flat(usually 20 plants in 2x2" boxes) and those are around $30 to put them in the ground. And flowers at this type of site is not going to be a money maker for you because they usually expect you to ensure that they look good and that means spraying for fungus, pest, and constant fertilizing. And while they want bushes and trees done a couple times a year you better figure on at least monthly because if they look bad they aren't going to be happy period....twice a year is not sufficient.

Florida Gardener
10-12-2008, 06:14 PM
i was using an example....those were not supposed to be actual numbers

StBalor
10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok guys, i been working the numbers, here's what i have so far:

LAWN CARE AND GROUNDS MAINTENANCE PROPOSAL

1. Turf Mowing / Trimming: Cost $1260.00 per year All turf areas will be mowed every 14 days during the mowing season. Our season starts 1st week of april and ends the 2nd week of november.
Height of cut will depend on species and local conditions. If it rains heavily or we experience extended dry periods, we may mow more or less than usual.
With each mowing, we will trim around all buildings, and other obstacles within the area.
All debris will be removed from the grass and Parking areas prior to mowing. Grass clippings will be blown off of all paved areas to maintain a neat appearance.

2. Pruning / Weeding: Cost $1120 per year ( i am figureing 2 guys 2 hours each time this is done.)
All ornamental shrubs, bushes, etc will be pruned And All flower beds will be weeded 4 times during the mowing season to ensure a professionally maintained appearance. This will be once every other month starting in april and again june, august and october.

MULCHING

1. Top Dress Mulch: Cost $800.00 per year. This will happen twice a year, April and again in october. Areas that were mulched will get a new layer of mulch.
Total depth of top dress mulch will be about two (2) inches.
Mulch beds, shrub beds, flower beds, and tree rings will have a sharp, well-defined edge made by hand or using a mechanical edger.

I lowered the mulch price to 400.00 for 6 yards. I figure there should not be any weeding to be done at time of mulching.

Total yearly price will be 3180.00
monthly is 397.50 for 8 months

I still have not figured out the annuals, I get the 30.00 per flat, but how do i know how many flats i need before hand?

Let me know what you guys think about the numbers.

Kickin Your Grass
10-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Why are you only mowing every other week?

StBalor
10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Why are you only mowing every other week?

Commercial property, that's what they wanted.

StBalor
10-13-2008, 06:14 AM
come on guys, 80 veiws and no more input?