PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a blade grinder/sharpner !

Kickin Your Grass
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm buying a blade grinder/sharpner, but I'm stumped on which one to get. I'm looking at the Bradley for $239.00 or the Oregon for $299.00. They both look to have about the same specs. One comes with a light and the other comes with a blade balancer. What your suggestion?

Bradley:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320309821755

Oregon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330225871543

jbell36
10-12-2008, 08:13 PM
without knowing much about either one i would go with the bradley...does anyone know what the difference between a blade sharpener and a bench grinder is? i know there is one but i don't know what it is...

FIRESCOOBY
10-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Just subscribing because I'm needing one too, and interested in seeing the opinions.

I know many will say go bigger, etc, but I just can't justify more expense.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
I bought the bradley recently, and like it, except the hole the grinder wheel goes down into is very wide and as you drag the blade across the hole and the end of the blade falls off the edge and into the hole it makes it hard to hold the blade steady while sharpening the last 2 inches or so of the blade. Was thinking of getting a piece of steel to weld to the sharpener that would extend the working table to hold the blade steady as I do that last part of the blade near the tip. Elsewise I am happy.

lazer 46
10-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Magnamatic. More money. I just think it's great.

zapper
10-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I would suggest to got to the EXPO in Louisville if you can. There maybe you can compare and try an actual hands on. I know Magnamatic wiil be there and offering discounts at the show as well.

b121774
10-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I have the Bradley and DO NOT like it for Walker blades cause the wheel pivots from one side unlike a RBG which lowers the wheel straight down. Because of this the pitch of the right blade(which turns the opposite way of the left one) has a different pitch cause it's sharpened from the right side. Does that make sense?

zeroturnman
10-12-2008, 10:37 PM
I bought the Oregon 1/2 hp this spring with the adjustment knob so you can lower the grinding wheel as it wears. For the price it does a satifactory job. If I were to buy another one, I would get a 3/4 hp as you can pull down the 1/2hp.

Kickin Your Grass
10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I have the Bradley and DO NOT like it for Walker blades cause the wheel pivots from one side unlike a RBG which lowers the wheel straight down. Because of this the pitch of the right blade(which turns the opposite way of the left one) has a different pitch cause it's sharpened from the right side. Does that make sense?

So are you recommending a RBG over the other two?

coolluv
10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I have the RGB 3/4 hp and it is great. I would defiantly recommend it. It doesn't bog down when sharpening, and is much faster than using an angle grinder. I used to use an angle grinder. The one down side to it is, it doesn't do the Hustler mulching blades that well. I even purchased the mulch plate adapter, it is a joke. Don't waste your money.

Overall it is so much faster and better than using an angle grinder. I used to hate sharpening my blades. I started using the gator blades, much easier to sharpen and cut just as good as the Hustler mulching blades. Yes I mulch everything.

Get the 3/4 hp you won't be disappointed.

Dave...

topsites
10-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I have an RBG but they are no longer in business, however I would get the
Oregon if for no other reason than they have been around a long time and
Oregon is to professionally made parts and tools almost what Xerox is to
copiers, maybe not quite but somewhere between that and darn close.

And it's not that I'm not willing to give new guys a chance, but then I also own
a 9 thousand dollar one-of-a-kind machine of which soon no more will ever be made
and that has somewhat influenced my staying away from being a test bunny.

Yup, and when RBG went out of business they got bought out by Oregon,
and of course with today's state of the economy it is quite possible that
Oregon fails next but I would still likely buy one of those first.

Something to do with proven testing grounds, kind of.

b121774
10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
If you do not run a walker, than I DO recommend it. Cost wise it's worth it. Just not for sharpening non standard blades.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I use a bench grinder to sharpen my blades. It works great for me. Then I have a balancer that I use to make them PERFECT!

coolluv
10-12-2008, 11:44 PM
I have an RBG but they are no longer in business, however I would get the
Oregon if for no other reason than they have been around a long time and
Oregon is to professionally made parts and tools almost what Xerox is to
copiers, maybe not quite but somewhere between that and darn close.

And it's not that I'm not willing to give new guys a chance, but then I also own
a 9 thousand dollar one-of-a-kind machine of which soon no more will ever be made
and that has somewhat influenced my staying away from being a test bunny.

Yup, and when RBG went out of business they got bought out by Oregon,
and of course with today's state of the economy it is quite possible that
Oregon fails next but I would still likely buy one of those first.

Something to do with proven testing grounds, kind of.

RGB went out of business? I did not know that. I bought my blade grinder last year. You learn something new everyday.

Dave...

Kickin Your Grass
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I got my Oregon grinder today. It's not sharpening the last few inches of the blade! The blade is running into the housing. Any suggestions?

delphied
10-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I got my Oregon grinder today. It's not sharpening the last few inches of the blade! The blade is running into the housing. Any suggestions?

You didnt research the grinders very well before you bought. Most grinders give the info on how much clearance there is.

Kickin Your Grass
10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
You didnt research the grinders very well before you bought. Most grinders give the info on how much clearance there is.

I sure didn't! I would have never figured somone would make a lawn mower blade grinder that didn't sharpen the entire blade! How stupid is that! :hammerhead:

delphied
10-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I sure didn't! I would have never figured somone would make a lawn mower blade grinder that didn't sharpen the entire blade! How stupid is that! :hammerhead:

If you want the best get a fireball.

JB1
10-24-2008, 10:59 PM
I just bought one of these at expo, a RBG 1012, going to pick it up tomorrow. Here is a link to there site very nice grinders. http://www.rbggrinders.com/

Kickin Your Grass
10-24-2008, 11:35 PM
I think Im just going to buy a Magna- Matic next season.

delphied
10-25-2008, 08:18 AM
I think Im just going to buy a Magna- Matic next season.

Bierlein Fireball 300. Google it.

Prosno
10-25-2008, 08:59 AM
the bradley and the Oregon both suck ion my opinion, both are the same and they take forever, havent used one yet been never heard a complaint about a Magnamatic.
Its the next one I get but I wont buy one without trying it.
My sharpener is a Lesco made by the same companys making both Oregon and Bradley, let me know you can have it for dirt otherwise its going on e-bay I hate it.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
10-25-2008, 10:40 AM
How much for the Lesco? I have the Bradley and like it. I have loaned it to a friend to try out and If you want to sell the lesco at a great price I will buy it for him. let me know

Prosno
10-25-2008, 10:46 AM
How much for the Lesco? I have the Bradley and like it. I have loaned it to a friend to try out and If you want to sell the lesco at a great price I will buy it for him. let me know

I'll post a pic of it tonight, make an offer I really hate the thing

Kickin Your Grass
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM

The Oregon is just like the Bradley from what I here. I will give you my Oregon for $190 + $25 shipping. It's in the box and ready to go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=270292647820

Happy Frog
10-25-2008, 01:59 PM
I just bought one of these at expo, a RBG 1012, going to pick it up tomorrow. Here is a link to there site very nice grinders. http://www.rbggrinders.com/

This is the one I have. You should be happy with it.

On very well worn blades (when you start to have a curve on the cutting edge), I found that it goes much faster if you start with the wheel turning in opposite way (wheel trying to pull the blade in) while putting no pressure on the blade (the wheel does the work for you) and finish in normal wheel rotation (wheel trying to push out the blade) while applying moderate pressure on the blade.

TLS
10-25-2008, 02:29 PM
If there 1/2 hp 1725rpm grinders, stay away. Slow and powerless. You need 3/4hp and 3450rpm to get it done. Don't waste your money.

Buy a Brandlein Fireball or a Magna Matic.

tomo
10-25-2008, 04:07 PM
hello ,
another well covered topic
The larger 1 1/2 hp oregon comes with a sliding work platform that covers the slot where the wheel is located
Unit is made in china
The Rbg 1 or 2 hp may be slightly easier to adjust but apart from this it is 1 1/2 hp which is a big plus

The science behind grinders
For a given speed [ rpm] the grinder with the bigger wheel will always cut faster
Spec is called feet per second

U may think that a blade can only be ground so fast ,yes this is true but when the machines are underpowered [most ] having a good hp machine is important

The other machine which i would regard as one of the best is the brandelin fireball 300 10 inch wheel and high rpm above 3000rpm

Although hp is good the higher the hp the risk increases that u overheat the blade

The top of the line professional units [ many 1000's ] have auto feed with coolant feed

Add coolant feed to a rbg oregon or brandelin :clapping::clapping:

Ruben Rocha
10-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Buy a magnamatic and you will never regret it. I have the balancer and the 9000. Pricy yes but . Customer support is top notch.
A few years after purchace I had a problem and they repaired it for no cost but I had to pay shipping.
Sometimes you can find a deal at ebay new or used.
If you need to sharpen wavy style mulch blades then you would need the 8000

Happy Frog
10-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Buy a magnamatic and you will never regret it. I have the balancer and the 9000. Pricy yes but . Customer support is top notch.
A few years after purchace I had a problem and they repaired it for no cost but I had to pay shipping.
Sometimes you can find a deal at ebay new or used.
If you need to sharpen wavy style mulch blades then you would need the 8000

I have read that the 9000 eats wheels like crazy. Is that true?

Ruben Rocha
10-25-2008, 06:39 PM
It depends on what hardness stone you want. They have several options. Yes the standard stone wears down fairly quick but there is a reason. It does not burn the blade as bad as a harder stone. The blade also does not get so hot you can't hold onto it unless it is so out of shape that you should have thrown it away to begin with.
If I had to guess I get around 500 21" blades per stone with the standard stone. They have a FAQ list that will tell you the average life. But all you have to do is call them and they will be glad to talk to you about stone wheel selection.

TLS
10-26-2008, 12:27 AM
The other machine which i would regard as one of the best is the brandelin fireball 300 10 inch wheel and high rpm above 3000rpm

I have the Fireball 300C 1hp 3450rpm 10" wheel. You cant stop this wheel if you tried. Makes the Neary's look like toys (I know, I had a Nearly!)

Nosmo
10-26-2008, 06:52 AM
The larger diameter the grinding wheel the faster the hollow ground grind will be. Why ? Because there is more contact on the blade with a 8" stone than a 6" . The faster cutting grinders have 10" or even 12" wheels.

I'm no expert on the subject of grinders but looks like to me an ideal set up would be a 3450 RPM 3/4 or larger motor with a 10" wheel.

Nosmo

delphied
10-26-2008, 08:23 AM
I have the Fireball 300C 1hp 3450rpm 10" wheel. You cant stop this wheel if you tried. Makes the Neary's look like toys (I know, I had a Nearly!)

I miss spelled the name in an earlier post. It is the Brandlein Fireball. IMHO if you want the best then get a Fireball.

Jason Rose
10-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Anyone have an actual LINK to the Fireball grinder website, or a website that sells them? I've been googling and not coming up with jack.

I've been thinking about a blade grinder recently too. Not sure WHY right now, since the season is almost over, but oh well... I've decided against the oregon and it's look-alikes, but everything else out there, RBG, Magna, Fireball, Other? Decided 3/4 hp is the way to go, not about to spend $1,500 for a grinder, so the 1+hp models are out.

Again, would like a better look at the fireball, their website is eluding me right now. Thanks!

TLS
10-26-2008, 12:12 PM
My 1hp 300C was under $700 back in like '01

Happy Frog
10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Anyone have an actual LINK to the Fireball grinder website, or a website that sells them? I've been googling and not coming up with jack.

I've been thinking about a blade grinder recently too. Not sure WHY right now, since the season is almost over, but oh well... I've decided against the oregon and it's look-alikes, but everything else out there, RBG, Magna, Fireball, Other? Decided 3/4 hp is the way to go, not about to spend $1,500 for a grinder, so the 1+hp models are out.

Again, would like a better look at the fireball, their website is eluding me right now. Thanks!

Do a search for the RGB 1012-C blade grinder (1HP)
I got mine from Russo Power Equipment for much less than a grand