PDA

View Full Version : help me changeing business plan

Mowerboy04
10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
ok guys i'm thinking about re orginizeing my company for next year, this means i may be looseing a few customers but gaining some new ones.

This year

Right now i run my company like many others cut the lawn "side discharge" trim edge every other week then go to the next house, weeding is extra hedges extra ect ect, and i'm chargeing about $23-$35 for an acere.

Next year

next year i would like to raise the bar and do only high end lawns and focus on full maintance properties. i'm thinking of bagging all my lawn next year to eliminate as much clean up and keeping grass out of the beds, also every week we would edge the walks instead of every other, also i would add weekly weeding to the service. Hedge trimming and flower planting would still be extra. i think when we start adding the weeding services and bagging the lawns i would think about a $10-$20 price increase would occur on all my lawns.

i feel i have a customer basse that would except the change many of my clients have very nice homes and upscaple properties allready, i'm sure i would loose a few lawns but i belive i would gain more. what are your guys thoughts? on my larger props and large commerical props i would still side discharge the clippings becuase it would be pain full to bagg some of my larger props.

let me know what yous think good idea bad idea would you do anything diffrent any input is great. remember this is just a thought for now.

thanks
alex
ps. don't mind my bad spelling

dnltractor
10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
in my experience any time you change prices on residential pay per cuts they get nervous and eventually drop , the only ones that don't seem to mind a slight annual increase is the commercial contracts , who seem to most of the time understand business and operating expense's better , I always bid res pay per cuts for what I want and no its worth cause once I give em a price it's theirs for as long as I cut em

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I would change the business plan.... I'd rewrite it. you will never make much money doing only maintanence. It's low profit margin, high overhead work. You will bust yer butt, and do little to separate yourself from other LCO's.

Get certified and legal for pesticides, number ONE. Study and research the use of control materials, learn how to diagnose and then treat problems. Learn how to upsell more profiatble work. For instance, find an over grown crowded foundation bed planting. Tell the customer how and why those shrubs look unhealthy. KNOW why,,,, not just BS. That sort of thing is gravy work. Transplanting shrubs, creating new beds, saving plants.... no material cost, just labor and profit. Be a professional, not just a mower guy.

If you are a person with limited sales ability.... wrong, there is NO such thing. It's a matter of knowing how to identify a problem, knowing how to fix it, and being able to explain it to the customer. All of that can be learned. Cost, benefit, and the expected results.... it's not rocket science.

And.... use the spell check here, and do work on your ability to write. Did I just sell you on any of my ideas? Selling is not hard to do.... be honest, know what you are talking about, and it just comes to you.