PDA

View Full Version : Adding lead or Octane Booster to Two Cycle fuel? Good /Bad

HenryB
10-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Guy at the auto part store recommended using these additives Most 2 cycles require 89 or higher octane and would the lead additive hurt a two cycle motor?
Our Redmax blowers are getting ready to run all day everyday.

Frontier-Lawn
10-12-2008, 07:54 PM
listen to the dealer not the auto parts flunky!

HenryB
10-12-2008, 07:59 PM
listen to the dealer not the auto parts flunky!

Actually he's an amazing moto cross racer/rider. He's repaired and rebuilt a ton of two cycles at the track between races. Some dealers are awesome while some others don't seem to know two cycles require gas oil mix. So I never generalize about all knowing dealers and "flunky" auto part guys.

newz7151
10-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Guy at the auto part store recommended using these additives Most 2 cycles require 89 or higher octane and would the lead additive hurt a two cycle motor?
Our Redmax blowers are getting ready to run all day everyday.

Does your Redmax owners manuals tell you to put a lead additive in your gas? If not, then why would you do something that is likely going to ruin your equipment? Will the motorbike guy at the auto parts store replace your equipment for you after you do what he said to do?

ricky86
10-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Does he know the reason for adding lead? And, aren't your fuel cost high enough? High performance 2 cycles will benefit more with the use of 89 octane and a quality 2 cycle oil rated for air=cooled engines. Lead will lead to excessive deposits. The oil already will have a certain amount of ash additives to help with lubrication.

Richard Martin
10-13-2008, 04:37 AM
The only reason they ever put lead into gas to begin with was to protect the valve seats of auto engines. Engine makers have been using hardened valve seats for decades now and the lead is no longer required. I can see no reason why a 2 stroke would need lead in the gas.

I wouldn't use the octane booster either. Just buy 89 octane gas.

Frontier-Lawn
10-13-2008, 09:15 AM
the only thing i add to my 2cycle gas is this.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/atp_qt_600pxh.jpg

Exact Rototilling
10-13-2008, 12:34 PM
A lead additive would be a waster however the octane booster might be of some use.

In my area there is ONLY 1 gas station that sells 100% gas and it is 87 Octane so . . . to get it up to 89 I mix it half an half with 91 octane which is the dreaded evil E10 blend.

So my point is I'd rather use strictly 87 octane 100% gas and add a tad bit of octane booster along with the 2 stroke oil.

I'll be looking into this. . . . :waving:

weve
10-16-2008, 12:25 AM
The only gasoline without ethanol that I can find in my area is 87 octane. Much of my two stroke equipment calls for 89 octane. For two years now I have been adding an octane booster. I've had no problems so far.

Some octane boosters are made using alcohol. I have been using Gold Eagle 104+ which claims to have no alcohol.