PDA

View Full Version : Florida question

I.M. Green
10-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I thought I knew what I was talking about until today when someone has made me second guess myself. I was told today by the "pro" at home depot that I need to start cutting grass short here in Florida to get ready for the winter and in the spring it will help the grass be healthier. I know that up north where you have snow you need to cut it short to help resist fungus and disease, but do we need to do that in Florida? I can see maybe if it's a yard full of oak trees with plent of leaves that are going to be on the ground and not get picked up, but is this necessary in Florida to cut the grass short to help it in the spring? If so how short?

freshprince94
10-12-2008, 09:39 PM
That is crap. Cutting St. Augustine too short actually makes it more susceptible to disease and fungus. You should be cutting at 4 inches, maybe 3.5 at lowest but below that will scalp it.

Big C
10-12-2008, 11:09 PM
That is crap. Cutting St. Augustine too short actually makes it more susceptible to disease and fungus. You should be cutting at 4 inches, maybe 3.5 at lowest but below that will scalp it.

I sometimes go as low as 3.25" on St. Aug.... but that is pushing it.

Keith
10-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I will go to 3 1/2" on some in March, but never in fall or winter. We actually will let them grow out pretty high going into winter. If they get a little frost damage we'll cut them back an extra 1/2" or so in the weeks following.

I.M. Green
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
ok I thought I was right, but sense he was supposedly a "pro" I figured I would ask. It sounds like I'm doing the same as everyone else...

Frontier-Lawn
10-13-2008, 09:43 AM
I sometimes go as low as 3.25" on St. Aug.... but that is pushing it.

also it depends on the type of St. Aug Variety.

i have seen some the grower recommends mowing at 2.5" to 3"

GrassmasterB
10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
just keep cutting it the same height you have been all summer. your yards will stay greener longer. and really, how much snow could we possible get this winter?

jbannick18
10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Why would you even begin to listen to this "pro" at home depot. Most people who work at home depot, lowes etc. act like they know what they're talking about but usually don't have a clue. Definetly keep cutting around 4 inches

Florida Gardener
10-13-2008, 06:26 PM
no less than 3.5. I think it depends though. In my neighborhood, i cut at 3.5 and it looks great. In my aunts neighborhood, i have to cut most at 4. i have one that i cut at 3 in my neighborhood but it doesnt look scalped at all.

bscofield07
10-13-2008, 08:19 PM
this is the time of year i start to mow higher............b/c customer will begin to skip svc weeks if they feel its not growing as fast

billslawn89
10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
ya i can tell the growth is slowing down, some of my bahai lawns i'm cutting 1/2 inch lower but the st. augustine i am keeping high as well, 4.5 to 5 inches to keep em green.

bakerc8
10-13-2008, 08:45 PM
wow i never cut shorter i always let it grow before winter

GrassmasterB
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
this is the time of year i start to mow higher............b/c customer will begin to skip svc weeks if they feel its not growing as fast

good point. i do the same on some yards.

Lehighlawnpros
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
We're also planning to maintain a 4" cutting height
year-round for our St. Augustine lawns (we're mulching with sharp medium-lift blades).

It's clearly better for the lawn and should really help them to stay nice and more drought-tolerant during the fall/winter.

The only problem that customers sometimes mention is the weeds (which I think are migrating in from all of the overgrown foreclosure properties) and which seem to
reach a foot tall in a weeks time :-(
Although they should slow down too as we start to get cooler weather, and less/no rain :-)

P.S. We're still mowing weekly at this time, probably for at least another week.

Bob
Lehighlawnpros