PDA

View Full Version : Mowing lawns with crab grass

ccztrrider
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
I just recently purchased a used cub cadet, m48 tank with a 19 hp kw engine to mow my 3 acres lawn.. The reason I bought the ztr mower is because my yard has a LOT of crab grass in it and my Scott lawn mower just didn't do a very good job cutting the crab grass stems. So I was under the impression that a 'Commercial' mower would resolve this issue and I wounld't have to mow two or three times to cut the crab grass stems. Well, this commercial machine does do a better job but I still have to double cut some. I installed a new set of factory high lift blades, check the pitch of the mower deck and everything is as it sould be based on the operators manual. So, could some of you experts out there help me with this... I sure would be thankful...I live in South Carolina:confused:

IN2MOWN
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Why not try to get rid of the crabgrass?

2stroke
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
spray the crabbygrass and be done with it

topsites
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Lawn mowers were designed to put a finish on turf consisting of a pure
blend grass such as fescue, and unfortunately crabgrass is a weed.

ccztrrider
10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
I would love to get rid of it and I plan to do that, but meanwhile, are there any mowing solutions to reduce the mowing time??

Whitey4
10-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I would love to get rid of it and I plan to do that, but meanwhile, are there any mowing solutions to reduce the mowing time??

No, for the short answer. Crabgrass has a prostrate growth habit. The stem lie down. After mowing, they will tend to "pop up" leaving stems and leaves that are above the mowing height.

Live with it for now, but do TWO CB pre-emergent applications next year. One in early April before the soil temp reaches 52 or so, and again at the end of June. I'd suggest not using a combo fert-CB Pre-M.... use pendimethalin straight, and strong. Then, overseed next fall.

CB lawns just aren't going to look good.... be patient, and fix the problem, which will take a year.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nope, Its a pain until you get rid of it. My advice is to over seed before winter. Just don't wait to long. Then put down pre-emergent before the grass greens up next year. Crab grass should be starting to turn purple anyways

Elite Outdoor
10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Mow in the afternoons when the grass is dry. It doesn't solve the problem but it sure does help alot.

jbell36
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
ya the crabgrass is going to die here real soon, and mowing it when it is dry is the best way like elite said...

Richard Martin
10-13-2008, 04:31 AM
Live with it for now, but do TWO CB pre-emergent applications next year. One in early April before the soil temp reaches 52 or so, and again at the end of June. I'd suggest not using a combo fert-CB Pre-M.... use pendimethalin straight, and strong. Then, overseed next fall.

If he's anywhere near the coast in SC then early April is way, way, way too late. Late Feb would be much better.

Can you get us pics of this "crabgrass"? I suspect it's really Barnyard or Goose grass.

David C.
10-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Mow in the afternoons when the grass is dry. It doesn't solve the problem but it sure does help alot.

Yes-----Crabgrass----when wet with dew or rain residue---will lie down---makeing it difficult to mow whether you have a "Home" model or commerical mower makes no difference

I mow the lawns I have with crabgrass----in the early afternoon to early evening when dew is dried up---and slow your mowing pace down and raise your rpm's just a tad---and make sure your blades are sharp---crabgrass will react like WWF wrestlers----they prefer to shave with Shick or Personna rather than a dull butterknife

zeroturner
10-13-2008, 07:00 AM
If he's anywhere near the coast in SC then early April is way, way, way too late. Late Feb would be much better.

I agree........Late February would be the correct time for your area. Crabgrass is a real pain. In my opinion, a good pre-emergent is the only way to go.

Lawdog302
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
The crabgrass is pretty much gone in KC

Richard Martin
10-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I agree........Late February would be the correct time for your area. Crabgrass is a real pain. In my opinion, a good pre-emergent is the only way to go.

Hey, I see you're in Eastern Carolina. I'm near G-Vegas. Are you anywhere near me?

ccztrrider
10-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Where is G-Vegas? Never heard of it...

ccztrrider
10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
My daughter boworred my digital camera and hasn't returned it yet...you got any pic? Send me on e and I'll verify for you...

Richard Martin
10-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Where is G-Vegas? Never heard of it...

In North Carolina by Swift Creek.

heybruck34
10-14-2008, 08:16 AM
believe "G-Vegas" would be Greenville. Called such by those who live there.

zeroturner
10-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey, I see you're in Eastern Carolina. I'm near G-Vegas. Are you anywhere near me?

I am near Wilson............Not to far away from you.

Richard Martin
10-14-2008, 11:45 AM
believe "G-Vegas" would be Greenville. Called such by those who live there.

And apparently those over by Charlotte. :)