PDA

View Full Version : Edging questions....

JShe8918
10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
The city is bidding a contract to maintain the edging of all of the curbs and sidewalks of a street in town... They gave us the total linear feet as being a little over 2 miles of edging. This is including all three edges. The street curb and both sides of the sidewalk. They want it done once a month for a year. The current edge is in pretty good shape. The bid is also to include removal of the excess grass. I was figuring around $550. Does that sound reasonable.

I also have a couple of accounts who want me to refresh some of their old bed edges. That is not a problem but what is a problem is that my brown throws all of the dirt it digs right back into the flower bed... What is a solution to this?
Therefore causing me to have to remove the mulch in that area and clean it using a wire screen. Most want new mulch so that isn't a problem but two want strictly the edge redefined. Any help is much appreciated.

The Captain
10-12-2008, 11:17 PM
What is your normal growing season? Six months or ten months? How long will it take to walk 2 miles plus go back and pick up the mess? I think for 2 miles of edging and cleanup you're way cheap. Just my opinion.

mississippiturf
10-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Sounds a bit cheap to me.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I would be thinking about 700/month

Lawn-Scapes
10-13-2008, 12:36 AM
What's does "removal of excess grass" mean? Is it simply blowing?

I don't see your bid as way low or too cheap. How long could it possibly take.. 2 hours by yourself... maybe?

It only takes 20-25 minutes to walk a mile... slowly.

Good luck......

JShe8918
10-13-2008, 12:36 AM
thanks guys. I like to charge atleast 50 cents per foot if I have a residential that calls and ask for me to do there's. Since they mow there own grass. And the minimum is 35 dollars nzlrmally. I think I am going to bid about 775-800 because I forgott about all of the blades I will have to replace while doing this. Thanks guys

JShe8918
10-13-2008, 12:40 AM
most of the grass we have here will take over a sidewalk in a short period of time. Bermuda is what happens to line these walkways and it is a tough little thing it holds on with everystrand it can

Lawn-Scapes
10-13-2008, 12:40 AM
As for the mulch... rake it back away from edge.. then edge and smooth dirt.. then rake mulch back over. done.......

Lawn-Scapes
10-13-2008, 12:55 AM
thanks guys. I like to charge atleast 50 cents per foot if I have a residential that calls and ask for me to do there's. Since they mow there own grass. And the minimum is 35 dollars nzlrmally. I think I am going to bid about 775-800 because I forgott about all of the blades I will have to replace while doing this. Thanks guys

So you estimate it will take you 13 -17 man hours? I know things are a little slower down there.. but not that much. :)

howierd3866
10-13-2008, 06:02 AM
we get a penny a foot but we do way over two miles at a time