PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a tough, durable...

TonyG
10-12-2008, 09:57 PM
grass for a soccer field. The area near the net has taken a beating (youth league) and there interested in bringing it back.

What is the grass of choice for this area? Is mid October to late to seed hear in the northeast Pa?

Runner
10-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Is it irrigated? If not, look at something like Teamates Plus from Lesco. It is a turf type tall fescue (bunch type growth habit - deep roots) mixed with a slight bit of Ky Blue for good color. It is extremely wear and drought tolerant. Tttf is generally not recommended for athletic fields, because it takes up to a 2 year period to become full established and filled in before being able to tolerate traffic. Kentucky Blue is generally a better cultivar for athletic fields, BUT,...you want to use like 4 different cultivars of the KB as a mix. Also, a mix with perennial rye, though commonly used in mixes, should be avoided, as perennial rye is susceptible to too many diseases and is not very heat tolerant.

TonyG
10-16-2008, 09:27 PM
I'll look into this seed. The two year establishment could be an issue, well see.

joshua
10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
well i agree with runner that tall fescue would be best for many different reasons. i really don't like kentucky blue unless there is irragation, dollar spot, and grey leaf spot in droughts don't mix. perennial rye does get red thread and rust more of a cosmetic eye sore but seems to do better in the summer compared to kbg if it is diseased. any new grass that you seed tttf, kbg, or pr will take 2 years for it mature. the first 2 years its pretty much on life support needing, water and food/ fert. cheances are you soccer field is constantly going to need to have spot seeding.

how often is the field aerated????