PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Dumping - Anyone have any ideas where this can be done for free?

RegalLawnCare.Com
10-13-2008, 06:04 AM
I have a LawnCo in Northern Virginia (Western Fairfax County / Eastern Loudon County). With leaf removal season, I'm trying to find out how I can save money on dumping fees? The local dump takes them, but charges about $50 a ton, which adds up.

Any ideas?

Anybody working in the area I would really appreciate help.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Regal Lawn Care

yardmanlee
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
tlak w/ some local farmers in your area and ask if they would like some free compost. we have one here that takes from about 6 of us

granddad
10-13-2008, 07:24 AM
I know this won’t help you, but in the ‘old days’; probably well before your time we used to burn them.
Nothing like the faint smell of burning leaves on a cool fall night. :)

David C.
10-13-2008, 07:49 AM
I mulch about 99% of my fall clean ups on sight on my Z

I live on a family farm------and have a burn pile for heavy debris I collect from clients

Do you have a garden spot at your house?? Dump leaves into the garden and work them into the soil with tractor and disk/harrow

lawnwizards
10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I have a LawnCo in Northern Virginia (Western Fairfax County / Eastern Loudon County). With leaf removal season, I'm trying to find out how I can save money on dumping fees? The local dump takes them, but charges about $50 a ton, which adds up.

Any ideas?

Anybody working in the area I would really appreciate help.

Thanks in advance!

Andy
Regal Lawn Care

work the price into your estimates. let the customer's pay for it. goodluck.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Either work the price into your estimates or see if the city has somewhere you can dump for free. We do here and I also have a pile behind my house back in the trees that i'm trying to get going good.

lawnproslawncare
10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
The farmer idea is a excellent idea. Clippings/leaves add excellent organic matter to their soil.
I have parents who own a 190 cow dairy, dad says bring whatever you can and pile it.

The other option is to start compost piles!

What ever you decide, charge accordingly for your drive/unload time. Just because your not paying to dispose does not mean your spending some drive time to dispose.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Just be careful that if you have a pile in your back yard make sure it don't go up on you if ya know what I mean

CLARK LAWN
10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
check with your local garden centers also around here they take all kinds of stuff, leaves and clipping are free brush is 10 a load

The Captain
10-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Watch out for the enviromental wackos. The laws around here say you can not dump debris on farm (or other) ground if the debris did not come from that property. In other words I can dump my stuff on my land but I can't legaly let you dump. You have to go to the landfill and pay to dump. Anything for the politcal dollar.

mowerbrad
10-13-2008, 04:38 PM
My township every fall offers a free leave dump site. In back of their storage buildings they build up a huge pile of leaves and then vac it all into dumpsters and haul it away. So you could see if you city/county/township does something like that. I don't have to worry about that though because I dump at a relative's farm.

CustomKare
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Leaves get dumped in your non-payers yards....Duh!!!

MnDLawn
10-13-2008, 11:26 PM
We have found a local rock quarry that lets us dump for $15 a load.

jurassiclawn
10-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Make extra money by creating a sealed compost container and put about 50 packs of earthworms in it... They will digest it, spit out soil, and multiply... Then you can sell worms... Big money!

cleancutccl
10-13-2008, 11:56 PM
take the tarp off the trailer and drive REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYY fast down the freeway.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-13-2008, 11:58 PM
take the tarp off the trailer and drive REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYY fast down the freeway.

I'll admit. I've done this once or twice lol. Mainly because I totally forgot a tarp