PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood Field

Water
10-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I live in New Orleans and plan on building a baseball infield, so my son and his teammates have a place to practice. I just cleared the trees out of the lot I am doing this on and am getting ready to put some fill down to level the area. We will needing to get on this field beginning in January to start getting ready for the season. I was wondering what is the best grass to seed/sod now to have a good surface to play on in January? What will I need to do to get through spring/summer?
Thank you.

foreplease
10-13-2008, 11:03 PM
I can't help you with warm-season grasses but I see that it is your first post here and just wanted to encourage you and say it's a nice thing you are doing. It is going to take a lot of work to have it playable by January.

If you have had to clear trees it sounds as if you might have to take into account how much direct sunlight the area gets when choosing grass. Now is the time to work up and change (amend) the soil if you need to. A local extension office or even a place that handles soil and mulch can probably give you good advice. I recommend having some plan for surface drainage. That is, figure out where it is likely to go or where you want it to go and do what you can to get it off your field and traffic areas. This is a hard thing to fix later. If you have a choice, try to lay out the field such that a line struck from home plate to second base points east or a little northeast.

Good luck!