PDA

View Full Version : 19 hp Kawasaki- to use synthetic oil or not

dalethebuilder
10-13-2008, 05:22 PM
I just bought a new Exmark Lazer Z hp with 46" cut and 19 hp Kawasaki engine.
The owners manual suggests changing the oil after the first 5 hours of use.
Should I consider using a synthetic instead of regular oil? If so, What brand of
synthetic is best? If I stay with regular oil, which brand is the best?
I appreciate the expert advise I get from this forum. As they say, "The pros
know best"
Thanks,
Bob

djchiodo3
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Don't change over to synthetic until you have atleast 75hrs on engine. A big no no. Check with your dealer tech to confirm. After break in use 10W 30 fully Syn

Lazer_Z
10-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I just bought a new Exmark Lazer Z hp with 46" cut and 19 hp Kawasaki engine.
The owners manual suggests changing the oil after the first 5 hours of use.
Should I consider using a synthetic instead of regular oil? If so, What brand of
synthetic is best? If I stay with regular oil, which brand is the best?
I appreciate the expert advise I get from this forum. As they say, "The pros
know best"
Thanks,
BobYour machine already has synthetic in the motor, change the oil & FILTER. Mobile 1 Synthetic 10W 30 is what you need to buy.

DaughtryLC
10-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I thought the Kaw did not have Hyro Lifters??, Better check! If so I dont think you are suppose to use 10W-30. Maybe the old ones??

djchiodo3
10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
If you change over to fully syn before engine is broke in you can damage engine. We are not talking about hydo's or pumps we are talking about engine oil.

DaughtryLC
10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
If you change over to fully syn before engine is broke in you can damage engine. We are not talking about hydo's or pumps we are talking about engine oil.

Hydraulic Lifters!! Take a different weight oil!!

djchiodo3
10-13-2008, 06:08 PM
The last two mowers I purchased had Kaw. engines. They did not come from factory with syn oil. in engines.

loneryder
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Change the oil and filter after 5-10 hrs and put Mobil 1 10w-30. That's what I have always run in my mowers. I run Mobil 1 in everything from cars to motorcycles. You can't go wrong.

djchiodo3
10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
I would not use syn oil in this mower until you have spoken with the dealer tech where you bought this mower. Ever exmark I have purchased I was told not to use syn oil until the engine is broke in. This included Briggs, Kaw, and Kohlor(Toro) Don't take a chance on voiding your warranty by listing to us.

underPSI
10-13-2008, 08:28 PM

This is total B.S.! Synthetic oil will not hurt an engine regardless of miles. And get this, you can switch back to conventional to synthetic and back to conventional again and again if you want to and nope that won't hurt the engine either. Another myth about synthetic oil that has been busted; it does not cause leaks! The leak myth got started when people put it in their engine and shortly there after developed an oil leak. What they fail to realize is they already had a leak and the crappy conventional oil just wasn't reaching it!
I run synthetic in all my engines from day 1. If synthetic caused harm during break-in, why does many automobile manufactures choose Mobil1 as a factory-filled oil?

jkingrph
10-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I have a nine year old JD lawn tractor with 17hp Kaw and 3year old Scag wildcat with 27 lc Kaw. Both were changed to synthetic at about 5 hours and have had zero problems. All the hype about waiting is bs, they will break in ok with synthetic.

AmsoilPower
10-13-2008, 08:51 PM
This is total B.S.! Synthetic oil will not hurt an engine regardless of miles. And get this, you can switch back to conventional to synthetic and back to conventional again and again if you want to and nope that won't hurt the engine either. Another myth about synthetic oil that has been busted; it does not cause leaks! The leak myth got started when people put it in their engine and shortly there after developed an oil leak. What they fail to realize is they already had a leak and the crappy conventional oil just wasn't reaching it!
I run synthetic in all my engines from day 1. If synthetic caused harm during break-in, why does many automobile manufactures choose Mobil1 as a factory-filled oil?

Yeah, what he said!!!!!:clapping::clapping: I recommend checking into the Amsoil Small Engine Oil. Here is a link

www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1521372&page=storefront/ase

ed2150
10-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I also have used Mobil 1 in both my Kawasaki engines since the first oil change.

Kawi owner's manuals show multi-weights like 10W-30 and 10W-40 as being acceptable within a temperature range of -4F to 95F as long as a minimum API class of SF/SG/SH/SJ is met. They do not specifically address synthetics one way or another. If Kawasaki felt they were bad you'd think they would say so. Mobil 1 currently has an API classification of SM/SL which exceeds Kawasaki's requirements.

Mobil 1 is factory fill for most GM engines. My 1997 Sonoma came with Mobil 1 and has never had anything else in it. 254,000 miles and still does not need oil added between changes. Good enough for me!

pinto n mwr
10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
why use synthetic in a lawnmower engine? If one changes the oil every two weeks, this is what I have done since who knows when, you will never have any problems. The problems are the motor themselves. Specifically Kawi. Remeber the single cyl 14hp, bulletproof. Then came the first gen 15hp two cyl, junk. Second gen two cyl, almost as good as the 14hp single. Bottom line is that people can say this and that and present numbers and graph but how about the actual real world truth. Spending 5-8 dollars a quart versus 1/3 to 1/2 the cost is not going to make a difference.

QualityLawnCare4u
10-13-2008, 10:16 PM

I had a deere 737 that I ran syn in from day one. I lost the engine at 674 hours and that is the first thing the tech blamed it on was using Mobile one syn. I flat out told him he was full of sh*t! It also developed several oil leaks that was blamed on syn. I don't belive it makes any difference whether you use syn or regular oil as long as its changed like it is supposed to be. For the cost difference I am now sticking with plain oil in my Exmark with no problems.
My deere dealer tried everything to keep from admitting the 737's were having engine problems.

djchiodo3
10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
As you can see there are different opinions on what to do. I think the best thing to do now is call the dealer and see what they say. We all have good intentions and are looking out for you and your mower.

dago52
10-14-2008, 12:41 AM
I was in the same boat as you are and I decided to use straight 30w conventional motor oil. I read my kawaski manual and it did not mention anything about synthetic oil. I even called kawasaki and the rep told me to use conventional 30w oil. If you call your dealer and they approve it, get it writing so it does not affect your warranty. I plan on using convential motor oil changing it every 50 hours.

Good Luck

02DURAMAX
10-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Change it!!! I do to all my engines on day one!!!!!..Mobil 1 Baby!!

David Haggerty
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I run Mobil 1 in everything from cars to motorcycles. You can't go wrong.

Oil bath clutch motorcycles? I've been using Rotella Synthetic in the Honda. Been kind of afraid of trying anything else because some have friction modifiers that will mess up the clutch pack.
What have you been running it in? Clutch not slipping?
I'd like to use Mobile 1 because I can get it at Wal-Mart. They sell Mobile 1 0-30w for less than I'm paying for the Rotella 10-30w.

toddman36
10-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Oil bath clutch motorcycles? I've been using Rotella Synthetic in the Honda. Been kind of afraid of trying anything else because some have friction modifiers that will mess up the clutch pack.
What have you been running it in? Clutch not slipping?
I'd like to use Mobile 1 because I can get it at Wal-Mart. They sell Mobile 1 0-30w for less than I'm paying for the Rotella 10-30w.

I've had no problems using mobil 1 15-50 or 10-30 in my '00 ZX7R with a wet clutch. I've been running it for 15,000 miles on mobil 1 (21,000 now).

Pennington Lawncare
10-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been using the Amsoil small engine oil that Hoyt aka Amsoilpower linked to in an earlier post. My Cub Cadet dealer gave me the first free service and oil change with conventional oil at 5 to 10 hours and I ran that oil up to around up to 25 hours or so is when I first went to Amsoil. Changed again at 100 hours and just changed again at 200 hours last week. Advance Auto Parts had no problem matching the Kawasaki filter number over to a Pure One for me.

David Haggerty
10-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks, toddman36