PDA

View Full Version : Power Tan 420CT

jefftb
10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Anyone here have one or run a Case 420CT for very long? I'm interested in possibly picking one up before year end. I'm going to run one for about a month starting on Wednesday it looks like so I'll know how it works but am interested in longview opinions.

I've compared it to a TAK TL130 with the TAK coming out ahead in the numbers department but I do not think much of their dealer locally from a support category.

bobcat_ron
10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Go with the Takeuchi.

Uh-oh spaghetti-oh's, here comes KSSS.

ksss
10-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Anyone here have one or run a Case 420CT for very long? I'm interested in possibly picking one up before year end. I'm going to run one for about a month starting on Wednesday it looks like so I'll know how it works but am interested in longview opinions.

I've compared it to a TAK TL130 with the TAK coming out ahead in the numbers department but I do not think much of their dealer locally from a support category.

I would be sure to get a Series 3 machine. They are substantially more powerful in the Series 3 dress. The older machines were 56 hp, the series 3 is like 74 hp. If you want a machine that is more powerful the 440CT in Series 3 matches up well with the TL140 but is much more compact. I have never ran a 420, but the 440 CT sells well here and those I have run and they are a horse.

Junior M
10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I put 6 hours on a series two and the visibility of the cutting edge was great.. The rear visibility wasnt that great, but who makes a skid with great visibility?, The cab was kind of narrow, but it was really fast, the only thing that kept getting on my nerves was the lack of power... I am sure I would like the 3 series even more... I have never been on a tak so I have no clue how they compare...

bobcat_ron
10-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Takeuchi would still be my choice.

Nice big open cab. :laugh:
Compared to the itty bitty cab on the Case.

Even if this dude was comparing a Cat CTL to a Takeuchi, I'd still vote for the takeuchi.

Junior M
10-13-2008, 08:50 PM
This is totally off subject but I have a question...

Ron if you like Tak so much why didnt you buy a tak instead of a cat?

jefftb
10-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Never tried to get my big body in a CAT but I've run the Komatsu, ran a TAK 150 briefly, Bobcat T140 and T300, and Deere 332. The deere was horrible from an in-out standpoint-it was not so bad once you got in it but holy crap batman-you needed to be a chinese contortionist or Yoga master to get through the door.

The TAK was huge and I have sat in the Series 3 Case on the dealer lot-it was quite easy to get into.

BTW-I'm 6'4"+ and 270.

Dirtman2007
10-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Takeuchi would still be my choice.

Nice big open cab. :laugh:
Compared to the itty bitty cab on the Case.

Even if this dude was comparing a Cat CTL to a Takeuchi, I'd still vote for the takeuchi.

So when are you going to trade that little kitty cat in for a red and gray monster?!

I've been on a takeuchi 130, 140 and spent many many hours in our 150.

Our takeuch as almost 1200 hours on it and the only two problems we had with it was the air condition stopped and the fuse for a gages kept blowing but the dealer fixed under warranty.
Great machines and The New TL250 machine is one hell of machine too, Next time i go to the dealer I'll get some pictures and a video of it in action.... Yes they have to let me play in the dirt pile eveytime a go there!

bobcat_ron
10-13-2008, 10:53 PM
This is totally off subject but I have a question...

Ron if you like Tak so much why didnt you buy a tak instead of a cat?

Not too great of a dealer support for the Takeuchi line, it's the kind of dealership that works out of mouldy old mobile trailers with a small shop.
And I wanted a suspended ride, rigid is too rough. I would gladly entertain myself with a new 279C, but with narrow tracks.

KTM
10-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Only look at A 420 if it is a series 3 machine, the previous 420 had a junk engine, If your going with Case I would look at the 440. I like the Tak's myself but, I did demo a 440 and it seamed like A good machine

Digdeep
10-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Only look at A 420 if it is a series 3 machine, the previous 420 had a junk engine, If your going with Case I would look at the 440. I like the Tak's myself but, I did demo a 440 and it seamed like A good machine

Ditto. The Shibura engines go through head gaskets like no tomorrow.

Scag48
10-14-2008, 02:24 AM
How does the Tak 130 compare price wise against the 420CT? I know there's a Tak dealer here in WA state that is selling brand new 130's for $29,XXX right now. WILD prices. That's a lot of machine for not much money.

jefftb
10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Machine would be Series 3 with enclosed cab/air. Case and TAK are w/in stone's throw of each other. Case has larger and better dealership support in this area than TAK. I really like TAK and its machine design.

stuvecorp
10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Looked at the Taks specs, not bad. Wonder what they can lift(as in pallets) in the real world. I liked the 120 (or 220?) can be 60" wide for tight access projects.

KRtraxx
10-16-2008, 09:46 PM
The undercarriage rollers on the Tak will not require attention in normal conditions(theres always exceptions) till at least 2000 hrs. The Cases will most likely require attention at about 1000 hrs. I sell New Hollands and the UC is the same set up on the Case or the NHs. A factory service rep for CNH that I know has made comment of his pleas to CNH about how they need more durable rollers to match the Taks life span on theirs..And this is from a CNH rep..
The performance of the new 74HP version engine wise and pilot control wise has had excellent feed back though.. Track life will probably be similar.
If you dont like the Tak dealer in your area you can get the same product(no overhead door ) from a Mustang or Gehl dealer..Might be a couple dollars more but if the dealer treats you right its worth it. The only diff will be the door type.Actually the door on a Mustang or Gehl is quieter and rattles less than the Taks door does...

KRtraxx
10-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Looked at the Taks specs, not bad. Wonder what they can lift(as in pallets) in the real world. I liked the 120 (or 220?) can be 60" wide for tight access projects.

You would be shocked what a Mustang MTL16(316 now) will pick up..(Same as the Tak) I know I was...

mdterp
10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
tak. dealer network isn't very good anywhere, but they have a good machine. go tak. over case

treemover
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
go with a tak. I have demoed all the small ones except deere, the tak is hands down the best. here the case dealer sells case and tak, they say it is a no brainer tak all the way

ksss
10-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Speaking for the 440CT as I have not run the new and improved 420, the 440 is much more powerful than the 140 and so more powerful than the 130. I can not speak of track wear, although with all the variables that go with undercarriage wear, I have not found any TK guys here that come anywhere close to 2K on an undercarriage. The only TK machines here are the T150's so maybe that an issue with the largest models. TK builds a good machine no doubt about that, although I don't think that the gap is there when comparing the newest of each OEM. CASE had a few things to learn on the initial release of there CT series of tracked machines. Although the release was relatively trouble free there were a few updates. Much depends on what you what the machine to do. The cab will be much more comfortable in a new CASE CT machine. It will be much more manueverable due to smaller size. The 420-440 have similiar ROCs to the TK only in a more powerful package. TK brings decades of tracked machine experience to the table. They are simplistic machines which although less comfortable, less computer issues to deal with. I am reasonably happy with control system in the TK excavators there is a learning curve in their CTLs for most people. I also have noticed the inability to equally apply power to both tracks. That might be negated with an H pattern set up. I think both machines have their pluses it just depends on what you need that machine to do and in what kind of environment.