PDA

View Full Version : yahoo web hosting question

shade tree landscaping
10-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Does anyone know how or is it even possible to copy or somehow get a blank templete from the "yahoo site solutions" into the "yahoo site builder?" I found an awsome templet in the site solutions, but I can't add pay pal buttons with out setting exact ammounts, not just a button where the customer can enter the ammount. Also wanted to change the postitioning of text boxes and all kinds of stuff like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

fool32696
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Your best bet would be to copy the basic design framework of the template you like in site builder from scratch.

cbscreative
10-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Online interfaces like site builder are your worst opton IMO. They are easy to use, but you have very limited control, they are terribly slow and inefficient, and the code is horrible (good luck ever ranking with search engines). To answer your question in a couple of ways, the least expensive option is to get a free download of NoteTab Light from www.fookes.com and spend about $25 on a book to learn basic HTML. An easier option is to get a decent WYSIWYG web design program and use it to edit the templates. You can upload your edited files with any FTP program.

The easiest option is to hire a web designer and spend your time on your business instead of your web site, but I'm guessing from your post that you are more interested in the DIY approach. In this case, don't spend any more time than you have to because a DIY site is not likely to meet your expectations unless you've spent time learning Internet marketing. I commend you for realizing that a web site is important to your business, but it's a support tool to your other efforts, and creating it should not be allowed to interfere with effectively running your business.

shade tree landscaping
10-14-2008, 09:36 AM
FOOL how do you copy the frame work from yahoo site solutions? I have tried everything that I can think of but it doesn't com up when pasting it.

CBSCREATIVE Barnes & Noble or borders should have a basic html book? I will take a ride over there tonite and check a few out. The yahoo site builder is not we based, although the site solutions is a web based program (<----the one I wanna get the templete from). Why do you say that it is hard to get ranked on a search engine when using the yahoo web program?

Bill S
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Steve

While I respect your opinions, local seo with site builder is no problem. I rank #1 on google, yahoo, msn and others for my important keywords. Trying to optimize on a grander scale, I can not speak for, but locally I dominate.

as far as the original question, call yahoo's toll free help number. They will jump through hoops to help.

RickR1818
10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I also utilized Yahoo Site Builder to get a site quickly up and Rank #1 Locally. I am about to revamp my site using Dreamweaver. I actually have a Bachelors degree in Computer Technology. Being 1 in searches also relies on links to and from your site. I have spent a lot of time marketing my site on others sites on the web. Since then, I have actually had other lcos want me to consult them on their internet marketing and web solutions.

lawnprocut
10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
What sort of sites do you try to link to? Specific examples would be appreciated. www.lawnprocut.com

Thanks

fool32696
10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
I use Gimp to make shapes, do my logo work, make navigation bars, and things like that. It's basically a program like photoshop for mac.

cbscreative
10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess I'm used to bigger challenges, so you guys raised a very good point on my search engine comment. Most communities don't have very much online competition in your industry, so getting to the top is only as difficult as what the competitive situation dictates. When I look at the code that I've seen from these "site tools" out there, it's terrible. If you find the competition getting more fierce and you lose your position, it's one of the first things I would look at. Even industry standard programs like Dreamweaver will create bloated code if you let it.

There are many arguments for much effect code structure has on search engine ranking. In my experience, if all things are equal between two sites, and one of those sites has better coding, the better coding wins. Think of Google as a home buyer. If they like what they see at first glance, then they begin looking in the closets and checking the finer details. The more homes you have in the same market, the more importance there is on the details.

I still advocate building a site correctly from the start as a good foundation. As the market changes and you find it increasingly difficult to dominate search results, that good foundation can be added to effectively. If the foundation is faulty, e.g. clumsy code, it's sometimes more expensive to fix than it is to start over.

Woody82986
10-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I rank #1 in most and at least top 5 in all cities I service in the DFW metroplex using Yahoo Site Builder. We aren't talking Mayberry. I could have used a more controllable site builder, but Yahoo was simple to use and it allowed me to do everything I wanted. As for the paypal stuff, I used to think there was no way around having a button for each set amount, but you can get around that by pasting HTML code on your site that will pop up an interface that will let the client enter whatever amount they need to. Just do a search for paypal invoice payments on your own website and you should find the same info I did that let me be able to set that up.

yard_smart
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Lawnpro its not who YOU link to its where you put link backs to your site . . .

WebMan
10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Online interfaces like site builder are your worst opton IMO. They are easy to use, but you have very limited control, they are terribly slow and inefficient, and the code is horrible (good luck ever ranking with search engines).
This all depends on the software you choose. You're right about Yahoo and many others. But for us hosts "you get what you pay for" is true too. Most hosts go for cheap software to keep their costs down since site builders are virtually always a "free" item these days... but there are great site builders which offer search engine optimization tools (in addition to being able to do what you know) and the best even allow you to take your site with you if you change hosts (very few do that-only one I know of) Of course good site building software costs more and since you can't really charge for it since every host offers a "free" program of some type; it simply increase overhead to offer the "good stuff".

Good ones allow total template customization and/or creation of your own templates etc. are "clean" code and as fast as any good site. (Speed is most often the host & their network or hardware rather than the site, usually a poor site building program won't be on top-of-the-line hardware or networks because the host probably went "bargain" on those choices too.)

The one I am familiar with even lets you follow your suggestion of learning HTML as you go because every pane has a "1 click" toggle between the WYSIWYG editor view most "newbies" use and a straight HTML view; enabling you to see what's happening with HTML and learn how it's being used by the program as well as being able to add any custom HTML to do things beyond what the particular template might have "built in" for total customization. So you could totally do a site with it in straight HTML just using it as an easy editor and having the advantage of being able to click over to a preview to be sure your code is right. I always encourage my folks to use both views so they can start learning HTML even if they don't have a clue what HTML even is when they start. Seeing by doing is usually the easiest way to learn and that way you can get a good site up quickly then as time goes by learn the "code" that is making your creation "work" so you can learn while doing if you want more than just the easy way out (some people just don't care about learning anything new, if somebody has trouble using e-mail, learning HTML probably isn't their thing)
So your blanket statement isn't really correct, and I'm sure your "IMHO" is based on experiences with the mainstream "site builders" that are most common like Yahoo.

However it is in this case because the person has Yahoo (and I have never understood why anyone would use Yahoo other than the "brand" name) So you are right about his situation. He's very limited as far as what he can do and may or may not be able to do what he wants (probably not in most cases-not and still have everything work right) :wall