PDA

View Full Version : Hustler's New Zeon Mower

nosparkplugs
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/Zeon/ZeonPage/ZeonPage.html

mybowtie
10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
So whens yours comming in??? lol...........:usflag:

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-13-2008, 09:09 PM
There's another thread about this. Has an 80 minute run time and a 16 hour recharge...

dura to the max
10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
There's another thread about this. Has an 80 minute run time and a 16 hour recharge...

how is that profitable for an LCO?

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
It's not. This is for the type of homeowner who buys a Prius. You know, to show their neighbors how concerned they are for the environment...

lzrj
10-14-2008, 01:15 AM
I think it is a good step in the right direction and I applaud Hustler for doing it. The mower engines we have now are some of the biggest polluters out of all gas engines. They pollute a lot more than even car engines. If this becomes the norm for future homeowners, it would make a huge impact. Homeowner mower units out number commercial mows by probably 500 to 1 (just a rough estimate). But until they can come up with a source that will let an LCO use it for 8-10 hours a day on one charge, then gas engines will have to do. It will be interesting to see what they come up with in the future to replace gas engines. Maybe have little nuclear reactors on the back as engines that only need to be recharged one every 10-20 years. As Tim Taylor would say "MORE POWER!!!!"

dago52
10-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I am in the forklift business and it is headed in the same direction. Just until two years ago, every customer would not even consider an electric forklift unless they had too. Now, I have lumber yards purchasing 8,000# forklifts with 80 volt batteries. The forklifts batteries are set up with a new technology called quick charge. All they have to do is to plug the battery into the charger during breaks and lunch time and they can run it all day. A benefit with an electric forklift over IC is less moving parts and no pollution. Currently it is cheaper to charge a battery than it is to put Diesel or LPG in the tank. I think this is a good move by Hustler, but it will take some time to perfect it. Its coming no matter if you like it or not, just be ready.

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
There is no sustainable technology (as of yet) to create a lasting battery that's affordable and environmentally safe. Those batteries, when disposed of, will reverse any environmental gains they chalked up during use.

I'll bet that unit costs a small fortune when they release the price. This is a niche product.

If people want to go green, buy an extension cord and an electric unit. Better yet, buy a manual reel mower.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to be active and trying. We certainly are a prodigal people. But I'm gonna wager that Hustler isn't doing this to make a statement or be noble. They're doing this to make a profit - to be first out of the gates and reap the rewards thereof. They see an open market and are capitalizing on it... Yeah for them, good business decision. But hardly gallant.

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Almost every part in a battery can be, and if you return it for your core credit, is recycled. The lead, plastic, and acid (re-used in the manufacturing process, not put into new batteries) is recycled.

This is a great step in the right direction. Yes, its aimed at the homeowner, but mabye in a few years we will have an improved version that will last all day. The specs are pretty decent on the mower. Speed, blade tip speed, ect all look good.

I look forward to the day when we have a viable alternative to gas engines for all our equipment. Tessla is working on an electric truck. I doubt it will have the towing capacity we need, but, someday it might. The range on it is supposed to be a couple hundred miles, all my mowing routes are under 100 miles.

heather lawn sp
10-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I am in the forklift business and it is headed in the same direction. Just until two years ago, every customer would not even consider an electric forklift unless they had too. Now, I have lumber yards purchasing 8,000# forklifts with 80 volt batteries. The forklifts batteries are set up with a new technology called quick charge. All they have to do is to plug the battery into the charger during breaks and lunch time and they can run it all day. A benefit with an electric forklift over IC is less moving parts and no pollution. Currently it is cheaper to charge a battery than it is to put Diesel or LPG in the tank. I think this is a good move by Hustler, but it will take some time to perfect it. Its coming no matter if you like it or not, just be ready.

As the man says quick charge

Now, if you can plug it into the truck's charging system between mowings & it's quick charge this could evolve into something. You will load your mower strap it down, and plug it in. ( :nono: be to the operator who forgets to plug it in when strapping down)The first gas mowers weren't any great heck either. Give it time

whoopassonthebluegrass
10-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Almost every part in a battery can be, and if you return it for your core credit, is recycled. The lead, plastic, and acid (re-used in the manufacturing process, not put into new batteries) is recycled.

This is most likely running something a bit more sophisticated than a lead-acid battery array. Maybe I'm wrong, though...

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
This is most likely running something a bit more sophisticated than a lead-acid battery array. Maybe I'm wrong, though...

Mabye thats true, but if thats the case, give it time. This is obviously not a mower for commercial use, its a novelty at this point really.

As a society, it seems like we need to focus on what the future can be, not whats happening right now, its the only way to look forward. What can this thing evolve into 10 years from now, and how can we solve the problems that creep up (Like how to recycle old batteries)

I look forward to what we may have 10-20 years from now. IK hear alot of people say that we have not had many advancements in the last 20 years, but think about what we did not have in 1988. No cell phones, little to no home computers (If you had one it was less powerful than your cellphone!),
CD's, DVD's, Were we even using EFI in cars than? the list goes on and on.

Luvs2Play
10-14-2008, 01:21 PM
While Hustler is of poor quality and support from dealer and manufacturer is non existant, I would not purchase anything like this from them.
For around $10,000 you can get an electric that is more of a workhorse, just not ZTR.
Plus, has inverter for running 110v tools.

http://www.electrictractor.com/html/multi_prod.shtml

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 01:25 PM
While Hustler is of poor quality and support from dealer and manufacturer is non existant, I would not purchase anything like this from them.
For around $10,000 you can get an electric that is more of a workhorse, just not ZTR.
Plus, has inverter for running 110v tools.

http://www.electrictractor.com/html/multi_prod.shtml

My post is about moving forward, and your is about moving backwards. That thing looks like an old 1990's dynamark mower painted white and retrofitted with electric wheel motors. Hustlers is a designed from the ground up brand new ZTR on a brand new platform.

BTW, I know peole who ownes hustlers and have never heard about a quality or dealer problem. Dealer support varies dealer to dealer anyway.

Luvs2Play
10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Like you say, Hustler design? It seems electic is a move forward. It seems that being able to use it for more than just mowing is a step in progress. Looks don't mean all that much, functionality does.

I own a Hustler, have for three years now, Hustler would never fix it, still sits in the barn. There is no customer support. Dealers can't get support from Hustler either!

MOHUSTLER
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
I own a Hustler, have for three years now, Hustler would never fix it, still sits in the barn. There is no customer support. Dealers can't get support from Hustler either!

I know for a fact thats not true, Out of the 5 companies we deal with, Hustler is by far the best dealer support we have. Top knotch, Dont blame Hustler for a dead beat dealer.

Luvs2Play
10-14-2008, 05:58 PM
I know for a fact thats not true, Out of the 5 companies we deal with, Hustler is by far the best dealer support we have. Top knotch, Dont blame Hustler for a dead beat dealer.

Then get me the parts I've been waiting years for!

saylorsdad
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
pretty funny that my post was deleted because I didn't have anything good to say about hustler's design. I would imagine that the post about hustlers backing is pretty poor will be deleted soon.

Ooomwizard
10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Batteries are recycled. Keep using your fossil fuels, now thats recycling...

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
pretty funny that my post was deleted because I didn't have anything good to say about hustler's design. I would imagine that the post about hustlers backing is pretty poor will be deleted soon.

Your post was deleted because I reported it to the moderators as derogatory. There was no need for you to put down and stereotype an entire population of people. It was completely uncalled for. This is 2008.

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Like you say, Hustler design? It seems electic is a move forward. It seems that being able to use it for more than just mowing is a step in progress. Looks don't mean all that much, functionality does.

Looks don't mean much, but a tractor is counterproductive to an LCO, it takes way to much time to mow with one. Build those features into a ZTR and then we'll talk. LCO's typically don't use even gas powered homeowner tractors with attachments, so why would they use an electric one. Besides, most of the "attachments" are cheap homedepot stuff to drag behind a regular lawn tractor anyway.

saylorsdad
10-14-2008, 10:47 PM
what is funny to me is that my post gets deleted even over posting that while batteries may not actually consume fossil fuel the net loss due to production and recycling does consume more fossile fuel than it saves. Why was that post deleted? Did it not agree with you agenda of selling more battery powered mowerd on a commercial lawn care site that isn't actually a commercial lawn mower? That is what the original post was about that was deleted in the first place. The mower shown doesn't have the capibility to perform to job in which lawn care professionals need. Judging by the looks of it the mower wouldn't last a season of heavy use. Now compare that mower side by side with any and I mean any commercial ztr and you will see what I am posting about. Now until someone attempts a mower with quick charge ability (less than a hour) that can mow for over an hour non stop it shouldn't be posted here. This after all is a commercial lawn care site.

LushGreenLawn
10-14-2008, 11:02 PM
what is funny to me is that my post gets deleted even over posting that while batteries may not actually consume fossil fuel the net loss due to production and recycling does consume more fossile fuel than it saves. Why was that post deleted? Did it not agree with you agenda of selling more battery powered mowerd on a commercial lawn care site that isn't actually a commercial lawn mower? That is what the original post was about that was deleted in the first place. The mower shown doesn't have the capibility to perform to job in which lawn care professionals need. Judging by the looks of it the mower wouldn't last a season of heavy use. Now compare that mower side by side with any and I mean any commercial ztr and you will see what I am posting about. Now until someone attempts a mower with quick charge ability (less than a hour) that can mow for over an hour non stop it shouldn't be posted here. This after all is a commercial lawn care site.

Anyone is free to post about whatever they want. I read your post that got deleted, as I said, I was the one that reported it. It had to do with comparing the looks of the mower to a group of people. There was nothing in there about batteries. BTW, batteries produce much more energy than the fossil fuels used to manufacture them. If your talking about using fossil fuels to recharge, then, yes, it is a two part problem. We need to move towards renewable electricity so we can rechage batteries, run our homes, ect and make a net gain.

02DURAMAX
10-14-2008, 11:12 PM
That looks Cheap as Hel!!!

lzrj
10-15-2008, 12:35 AM
For you people that think this unit was made for commercial use, it was not. Most can figure that out. Hustler does not only make items for commercial users only. They have been swinging towards the homeowner for several years now. As long as they keep their quality up it should be fine. I just hope they don't swing so far left as John Deere did and start making throw away products sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Deere was known for quality for decades. Now I see a homeowner rider with their name on it and I think "What a shame". No new John Deere product should ever be sitting next to a Murray product for sale at the same store. Thats as far left as you can get.

LushGreenLawn
10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
For you people that think this unit was made for commercial use, it was not. Most can figure that out. Hustler does not only make items for commercial users only. They have been swinging towards the homeowner for several years now. As long as they keep their quality up it should be fine. I just hope they don't swing so far left as John Deere did and start making throw away products sold at Lowes and Home Depot. Deere was known for quality for decades. Now I see a homeowner rider with their name on it and I think "What a shame". No new John Deere product should ever be sitting next to a Murray product for sale at the same store. Thats as far left as you can get.

The thing is, JD has sold Residential Riders for years, but only in dealers. My Dad has one, and its still the best build mower I've ever seen. The lowes and depot mowers are the same ones that are in the dealers. (I realize that there is alot of debate on this, all that stuff about them being different models, made by MTD for them, ect, ect, are false. Trust me, I've done alot of research on this).

The shame is that they would cut out their dealers like that. I know my local dealer was not happy when they decided to do that.