PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeder...buy or no?

POPO4995
10-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Found a hydroseeder from a local guy getting outta the business and wondering what it is worth. Any help is appreciated!:waving:

Turbo Turf
500 gallon tank
Broadleaf Applicator attachment
13HP Honda Electric Start motor
Good shape, approx. 4 years old
It's base is setup to be moved by forklift

JDUtah
10-14-2008, 01:31 AM
I was looking at some of their units today. http://turboturf.com/Prices_Spec's.htm

What do you need it for?
How big of jobs do/will you have?
How thick of slurries are you going to use?
Mechanical or Jet agitation?
Hose? How long? Hose real? Do you even need a hose?

500 gallons should keep you under the 10,000 lb DOT spec if you have it on a trailer.
How much he asking?
If it is not very much can you give me his contact info? JK :)

Turboguy
10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
If it helps you, if we had taken it in on trade we would have gone over it, made a few upgrades and would probably ask $ 3900.00 for it. Probably if someone offered $ 3-400 less we would take it so I would say if you can buy it for less than that, which I have a feeling you can, it probably would not be a bad buy.

There is not much that ever goes wrong with them. If the engine is good, and everything works ok you should be fine. Does this one have the custom molded tank with the bale tray built in?

There has been only one real upgrade in the units which is a change in the nozzle and gun set up that would let you do two more loads a day and is worth the $ 70.00 it would take to bring that one up to snuff.

If you get it and there is no owners manual with it call us and we would be happy to send you one at no charge. They are really easy to run but if you have any questions about the operation feel free to call us and we can talk you through that or answer any questions about mixes, etc.

As far as anything to look for problem wise about the only things that would be expensive would be a bad engine or a cracked pump and those would be pretty obvious. Most anything else would not be expensive to fix.

If you buy it I will make one other recommendation. Join the Hydroseeding association. The $ 100.00 you will spend for the membership will bring you more business than $ 5000.00 spent any other way on advertising. You won't regret if for a second. You can see more info about that on the website for the International Association of HydroSeeding Professionals (IAHP) on their website at www.hydroseeding.org

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don't want to discuss in the open forum.

Turboguy
10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
I was looking at some of their units today. http://turboturf.com/Prices_Spec's.htm
What do you need it for?
How big of jobs do/will you have?
How thick of slurries are you going to use?
Mechanical or Jet agitation?
Hose? How long? Hose real? Do you even need a hose?

500 gallons should keep you under the 10,000 lb DOT spec if you have it on a trailer.
How much he asking?
If it is not very much can you give me his contact info? JK :)

JD, Most any landscaping type application you do need a hose. The unit he is talking about is an HS-500-EH and comes standard with 100' of hose. Usually you need about 150' which could well be how that one is equipped. We build the machines but also do a lot of hydroseeding. I have seeded as much as 2 million sq feet a year myself. I rarely need more than 150 feet. Today I am finishing up a 2 acre hydroseeding job and my next job is 6 acres and that amount of hose most always works for me. Hose has a rough life getting dragged over the ground, road and gravel and probably at 4 years old that one may be ready for new hose but 100 feet of new hose is only $ 199.00 so it is not a big deal.

That is one of our jet aggitated models. That is a nice size for landscaping applications and you can do about any size job. I am using the same size machine (next engine size up though) To give you an idea of what I mean I am finishing a 2 acre job today and have another that size and a 6 acre job ahead of me. My two jobs before that were a few thousand square feet where they put some new sewage lines in and part of the front lawn needed to be reseeded. The biggest job I ever did with that size machine was 14 acres and the smallest was 50 sq. ft.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

JDUtah
10-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Sure does. :)

POPO4995
02-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I think i'm going to buy it, just talked to him yesterday and can get it for $3800.

br549oicu8
02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Sometimes you have to weigh out the amount of use a piece of equipment will get to see if it's better to rent. We rent an air compressor every fall to winterize irrigation systems. We usually use it for 2 weeks and I just can't justify owning it to sit the rest of the year.
I have found three other things cheaper to rent than buy, too.
1. Wife
2. Boat
3. Plane

LOL!!!!

KAG
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I think i'm going to buy it, just talked to him yesterday and can get it for $3800.

IMO - $3800.00 is too much. I have one, its older with a larger less efficient engine. Hopefully with the newer engines they are direct swap if you need to. Nothing like needing a new one only to find out its going to cost big $$ to get a new engine when it really shouldn't.

Starting out a 500 gallon jet machine is really the way to go. Turbo Turf makes a good basic system like the one your looking at. You just need to be aware that a jet machine does have limitations. The plus side is a jet machine can produce really nice yards, just use lots of tack. If a jet machine is the way you are going then getting a TT is the way to go, they are good people behind a good product.

POPO4995
02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I already have 2 decent size jobs to use it for, not including any lawn repair jobs I get in the spring, which I usually get quite a few. The person i'm buying it from is a personal friend and since i'm new at this, he said he can go with us for the first couple jobs and show us how to operate the machine and different tricks and such. It probably is too much but i'm thinking that it will be a good starter machine and can give me income that I use to sub out. I'm positive I can pay the machine off within the first couple months of ownership.

Turboguy
02-09-2009, 10:45 AM
It sounds to me that it will be a good move for you. KAG mentioned the engine and that Honda 13 HP is pretty easy to get if you ever need one and Hondas do seem to have a long life and good reliablity.

KAG
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I already have 2 decent size jobs to use it for, not including any lawn repair jobs I get in the spring, which I usually get quite a few. The person i'm buying it from is a personal friend and since i'm new at this, he said he can go with us for the first couple jobs and show us how to operate the machine and different tricks and such. It probably is too much but i'm thinking that it will be a good starter machine and can give me income that I use to sub out. I'm positive I can pay the machine off within the first couple months of ownership.
Since he going with a few times that is money well spent then. I was figuring a good deal would have been $3200 but I know I personally made several costly mistakes at first that you won't since he is helping you out.